Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-25-2015, 06:26 PM   #1
Adam63impala

Drives: 63' chevy impalaSS , 12'Cam89'Cam
fog light lens keeps cracking..

I have a few questions. I have a 2012 Camaro LS. I bought after market fog lights a couple years ago so I could install Amber halos. The brand is " bling lights." I had a local highly recommended shop in Memphis install the fog lights and wiring harness for me ( I did the halos myself at a later time) well since they are apparently just universal fog lights ( I was told they were made for my Camaro) the dude at the shop hacked up the back of the bumper where the real Camaro fog lights would have mounted into, I wish he would have told me he would have to cut all that out of the bumper. Well apparently the bling lights fog lights are junk because the glass lens keeps breaking. My question is, is there any way I could purchase actual Camaro fog lights and somehow get them to stay in the bumper or would I have to purchase a new front bumper? Also is there any place that would be able to make a lens for my fog lights that is not made out of glass? I have been through 3 sets of glass now and they charge me for the entire fog light each time.

On a side note, I ordered the Plasma Amber fog light halos to replace my LED halos and they are a very bright yellow, has anyone else noticed this? They do not match my amber headlight LED halos at all now. I just feel like I should warn people whom might be wanting to add the plasma halos but already have the amber LED headlight halos.

Thank you for any advice you can give me on getting stock Camaro fog lights or maybe if you know of a company that can cut lexan or plexiglass to fit my fog lights.
Adam63impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:17 PM   #2
13blackLS

Drives: 2013 camaro ls; 2005 rx8
Do you have a picture of how hacked up the bumper part is? Depending what they cut oem lights may still mount...if you plan to use the same glass lights, you may want to try applying a protective tint/plastic over it...i think headlight armor sells them...its fairly thick material and you can get it clear if you want to keep it stock looking...that may help in absorbing the shock from debri and cracking the light
13blackLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:27 PM   #3
Adam63impala

Awesome , thanks for the tip man ! I will post a picture as soon as I get home from work !
Old 08-27-2015, 07:28 PM   #4
Adam63impala

Could cold weather crack the glass ? It was in the winter time .
Old 08-27-2015, 07:49 PM   #5
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
stock ones should fit
Old 08-28-2015, 09:04 AM   #6
Adam63impala

This is what both sides looks like after dude hacked it up . I doubt there's any way I could fit stock camaro fogs in ... wish he hadn't told me that they would fit . Bc he has them barely held in there by 2 screws ..
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2015, 09:25 AM   #7
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Think your done, only way is to replace the bumper, or take it to some one that can cut the parts out of an old bumper and then plastic weld it back together on your bumper.

GL
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #8
Adam63impala

Is it possible that the heat from the halo LED ring is what keeps cracking the glass ? They sit right on top of the glass ..
Old 08-28-2015, 09:54 AM   #9
BlackSmoke

Drives: 2013 Black SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam63impala View Post
This is what both sides looks like after dude hacked it up . I doubt there's any way I could fit stock camaro fogs in ... wish he hadn't told me that they would fit . Bc he has them barely held in there by 2 screws ..
Holy crap man! I'm really scratching my head here... Why in the world did this shop cut your car like that?? Bling lights? I have never heard of them... Did you try and save some cash on the purchase of these Bling lights? I understand if that is the reason and I don't mean to beat you up here but man they did a number on your facia. I am trying hard to remember what mine looked like when I installed my fogs but it's been many mods back. The piece on yours that is so hacked up I can not recall there being anything there in behind the bezels like that. Why were those screws needed to hold the bezels on??

My memory is not the best but it does not make sense to why there should be anything blocking a fog light add on. I can not recall what exactly that piece is that is so hacked up. There has to be a way to make this work without replacing the whole front facia.

It's hard to recommend a fix without seeing exactly what you have going on where the fogs go. If you can chose a side whether it be drivers or passenger side. Let's say we go with the passenger side. Turn your front wheels all the way to the left. Remove 4-5 screws that holds your fender wheel lining. This will give you access to the back of that fog light. Take some pictures of what's going on behind those bezels. Post the pictures.. Then advice can be given on how to go about fixing this or if the front facia is truly a total loss (worst case scenario).

I am editing because I forgot to address this glass cracking? I have installed many many fog light sets over the years and I have never had a lens crack. There is something to that which puzzles me as well. Your lens should never crack due to heat or anything for that matter muchless cracking 3 times!? . Run not walk to the nearest trash can and throw these bling lights away. If a set of fogs have bulbs in them that heat up that hot which cracks the glass then it's a red flag. The products that are on the market today such as LED will draw very little current. They should not heat up like those bling lights are doing. Sounds like a very cheap made China product. They have put together a set of fogs with cheap pieces and parts then call them a set of fog lights.

IF and that's a big if.. You do not have to replace the bumper or facia etc then it's time for a fresh start meaning a complete new set of fogs. When you start mixing brands, adding a little here and a little there you will end up with lights that do not match.. Standing out like a sore thumb. The type bulb you buy is very important when matching and making the car look good when all lights are on. 6K is the most popular bulbs as in power and appearance of the color they project. I actually have 3 different brand lights on the front of my car. However, they are all 6K so matching is dead on.
K & N Cold Air Intake, 25% window tint, 2 sets of 6000K LED fogs added, bow ties delete, Pypes catback mid exhaust, MGP Caliper covers, Spyder projection HID 6000K lighting with dual CCFL halos, Technostalgia Rapid Fire LED Tail Lights, blacked out rear bezels, Oracle Ghosted side marker lights, Platinum Ultra Rims, LED tag, dome, trunk lighting, Razzi Ground Effects, Billet Grille, Oracle Concept Mirrors, Eibach Pro Springs,
GM Strut Tower Brace and LED lit door sills.

Last edited by BlackSmoke; 08-28-2015 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Forgot something!
BlackSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #10
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam63impala View Post
Is it possible that the heat from the halo LED ring is what keeps cracking the glass ? They sit right on top of the glass ..
No LED don't put out that much heat, more then likely its a bad manufacturing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSmoke View Post
Holy crap man! I'm really scratching my head here... Why in the world did this shop cut your car like that?? Bling lights? I have never heard of them... Did you try and save some cash on the purchase of these Bling lights? I understand if that is the reason and I don't mean to beat you up here but man they did a number on your facia. I am trying hard to remember what mine looked like when I installed my fogs but it's been many mods back. The piece on yours that is so hacked up I can not recall there being anything there in behind the bezels like that. Why were those screws needed to hold the bezels on??

My memory is not the best but it does not make sense to why there should be anything blocking a fog light add on. I can not recall what exactly that piece is that is so hacked up. There has to be a way to make this work without replacing the whole front facia.

It's hard to recommend a fix without seeing exactly what you have going on where the fogs go. If you can chose a side whether it be drivers or passenger side. Let's say we go with the passenger side. Turn your front wheels all the way to the left. Remove 4-5 screws that holds your fender wheel lining. This will give you access to the back of that fog light. Take some pictures of what's going on behind those bezels. Post the pictures.. Then advice can be given on how to go about fixing this or if the front facia is truly a total loss (worst case scenario).
Here is what it looks like with a fog light in there.
Attached Images

2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:42 PM   #11
Adam63impala

Hey guys, sorry I've been at work . I will send pics in the morning of the backside , it looks the same as the front shot .. I know there are supposed to be three circle spots for the fog lights to attach to . That's all gone so I don't know how I could ever get the stock fog lights . I'm not sure why that dude hacked all that away instead of just telling me I should return those shitty fog lights ..
Old 08-28-2015, 03:48 PM   #12
Adam63impala

I would love to throw the bling lights away but I have no idea what other Brand will fit , these have a bar at the top and bottom and he used screws to hold them Into the fog light housing in the bumper . . I'm at a loss :(
Old 08-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #13
Adam63impala

I just want to get back to having my fogs work .
Old 08-28-2015, 06:24 PM   #14
Adam63impala

Just want to have my fogs working again .
Attached Images

Tags
fog lights, halo lights