Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-25-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
gMcizzLe

Drives: 2014 2SS RS LS3
Buying first camaro used - need advice

Hey all,

So I'm looking to buy my first car/camaro and found a nice 2013 2SS with only ~500 miles for under $32k. Looking at the pics, I'm slightly concerned about the condition of the engine and of any installed mods that might void the warranty. Hopefully someone with more experienced eyes can help me steer closer or steer clear. Thanks.

gMcizzLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #2
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
The only mods I see in the pictures are a catchcan (read thing on the left), tower brace and the Cold-Air intake. Non should give you concern as they are common and should not void the warranty. If you do purchase, be sure to empty the catchcan frequently, especially in the winter.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:52 PM   #3
Camarodriver2

Drives: FOR SALE! Bumblebee 1 of 1
Tuning may void the warranty depending on what was tuned in or out. Pictures won't capture. Buy and enjoy.....I always say.
My 1 of 1 Bumblebee: Paint=House of Kolor Sunrise. Shaved door handles and concept handles added. Shark fin removed, concept mirrors, Showstoppers concept LED side marker lights. Wiper blades removed, muffler delete, and Range AFM disable. BMR springs lowered 1" rear and 1.4" front and added Eibach wheel spacers - 20mm rear and 25mm front.
Camarodriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:02 PM   #4
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Plus, run your fingers around the hood, fenders, and trunk. It should be smooth around the edges and if it is rough, the car has been repainted in that area.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
Dealer or private sale? Those are standard Cold Air Intake, Strut Tower and a Catch Can. All reversible also.

Does it have headers or a tune? Tuning may void the warranty, but the rest are pretty safe.

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Looks fine, but an SS is a hell of a lot of car for a first car.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:37 PM   #7
gMcizzLe

Drives: 2014 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon War Horse View Post
Dealer or private sale? Those are standard Cold Air Intake, Strut Tower and a Catch Can. All reversible also.

Does it have headers or a tune? Tuning may void the warranty, but the rest are pretty safe.
Dealer, not a chevy dealer though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
Looks fine, but an SS is a hell of a lot of car for a first car.
Only a first car in the sense of buying it all myself, I've been driving for years. The only thing I'm worried about is I don't have much experience driving a manual...but I'm willing to learn
gMcizzLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #8
elektrik

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gMcizzLe View Post
Hey all,

So I'm looking to buy my first car/camaro and found a nice 2013 2SS with only ~500 miles for under $32k. Looking at the pics, I'm slightly concerned about the condition of the engine and of any installed mods that might void the warranty. Hopefully someone with more experienced eyes can help me steer closer or steer clear. Thanks.

WOW! A 2013 2SS with less than 500 miles for only $32k? Man I wish I lived in Maryland! I'm paying $29k for a 2ss with 22k miles in California!!
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:27 PM   #9
Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Savage Setsuna

Drives: 16' 2SS, 12 ZL1, RIP Sasuke
Send a message via MSN to Heaven_is_inferno_orange Send a message via Yahoo to Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Here's how that is gonna work. Obviously the air box is no longer under warranty since its been replaced with the CAI. If there is engine trouble down the road and it can pin pointed that one of those mods caused it then yes warranty is void on the engine. It's gotta be caused by the mods though. (IE: Catch can was installed incorrectly and blew a seal, mod caused the failure therefore they are not gonna fix it under warranty.)
Also when you go to look at it ask to have it put on the lift for you because you want to look under it. This gives you the chance to see for yourself if there are any visible trouble signs like leaks. With such low mileage there shouldn't be any problems but you never know. It's always good to be wary about things you're paying a lot of money for and if the place selling it is any good they wont mind letting you look at the car for yourself.
Heaven_is_inferno_orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:27 PM   #10
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gMcizzLe View Post
Dealer, not a chevy dealer though.

Only a first car in the sense of buying it all myself, I've been driving for years. The only thing I'm worried about is I don't have much experience driving a manual...but I'm willing to learn
I learned how to drive manual in mine. Takes lots of patience
Old 07-25-2014, 06:35 PM   #11
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
These V8s are easy to learn on. Engine has enough torque to roll easy, then just let the clutch out smooth and go!

Sounds like a killer deal.

Do you know anyone in the are that has a shop that can look at it? Prepurchade inspection? Also check the regional section to see if another member can go with you to give it a once over.

Just a coupe of thoughts.

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:44 PM   #12
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven_is_inferno_orange View Post
Here's how that is gonna work. Obviously the air box is no longer under warranty since its been replaced with the CAI. If there is engine trouble down the road and it can pin pointed that one of those mods caused it then yes warranty is void on the engine. It's gotta be caused by the mods though. (IE: Catch can was installed incorrectly and blew a seal, mod caused the failure therefore they are not gonna fix it under warranty.)
Also when you go to look at it ask to have it put on the lift for you because you want to look under it. This gives you the chance to see for yourself if there are any visible trouble signs like leaks. With such low mileage there shouldn't be any problems but you never know. It's always good to be wary about things you're paying a lot of money for and if the place selling it is any good they wont mind letting you look at the car for yourself.

+1000

Excellent advice. Get that thing on a lift and check it out. I cannot tell you how many times people I know have bought used cars, taken it to a service place for an oil change a month or so later, and the tech comes in and says "hey, you may want to look at this......."
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:51 PM   #13
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Price almost sounds too good to be true....

Take it to a shop to have it looked at first. If everything checks out then purchase and enjoy!
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #14
Fastcat3

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS manual tranny
Why was it modded modestly as it appears and then traded at a non-chevy dealer with 500 miles? What is the story and check Carfax. I traded my 2012 2SS/RS and left the cold air intake on it. The original parts are in my spare bedroom and I don't know what to do with them. The dealer is also asking $33,000 for it. That is a deal almost too good to be true that you are looking at.
Fastcat3 is offline   Reply With Quote