Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-22-2014, 02:14 PM   #15
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
If you can get by without an additional oil pump or pumps, you should. I can't see where that's arguable. If the packaging dictates a turbo positioning that requires pumps, so be it. No engineer is going to add complexity to a turbo system if it isn't necessary though. Maybe it is on the Camaro. If the Hellion system works as advertised, maybe it's not. I guess time will tell.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #16
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Hellion also offers the low mount kit... There are pros and cons to each design... Personal choice plays into it...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #17
Boother

Drives: 14 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP Turbo View Post
Those dummys over at Porsche didn't get the memo. In fact, turbos mounted just below the exhaust runners is by far the predominant way the oem's go. Also putting the hot parts up into the engine bay rather that down in the heat shielded exhaust tunnel is not really the right place to put them.
The latest and greatest from all 3 big German manufacturers have twin turbo v8 with the turbos top mounted in the V.
Boother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:22 PM   #18
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Agreed, if it is gravity vs pump and all other parts the same, but it isn't that simple. There are many other trade offs. Even hellion did the bottom mount kits first, and has been selling those for awhile. This is just something different, probably for all the people that call and want to see the turbos. If they thought it was the best up front, they probably would have done this up front instead of 2+ years after offering their bottom mount kit.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #19
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Good to see another option out there for TT. I realize there are some cheerleaders for every set up, company, tuner, etc.....but the bottom line is that more options and competition in the forced induction area benefits all Camaro owners. More choices...and it forces everyone offering a FI set up to improve their game.

Can't wait to see the first reports on this Hellion TT!
cc-rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:33 PM   #20
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Exactly. Hellion makes nice stuff, good for them. If it was my car, I wouldn't do it, but look forward to results (not just put it on and made 700hp results, but put it on and did 30k miles with no issues results).
Old 11-22-2014, 04:51 PM   #21
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Yeah, if the first units burn a hole in the hood and melt the belts, hoses, and wiring.....sticking those little heaters down low will look a lot better.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:45 AM   #22
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
IMO the only negatives about a low mount set are needing a scavenge pump, and physical space....and possibly air filters.
None of which are really that bad as all have been overcome with perfectly good results

But low mounts allow for a great downpipe exit, they keep heat away from the engine compartment, makes no real difference to manifolds. And it leaves engine maintenance access for plugs etc as per factory.
Some of the top mounts are terrible in that respect.

And even to remove a low mount pair....it will literally take minutes because access to the manifold bolts are a doddle.

I'd say there are more benefits for a low mount set than there are high mounted, from functional and performance point of view.

If it's visual impact you want, then obviously a high mount pair win that
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:41 PM   #23
bowtienick

Drives: 2010 ss m6
I would never hang turbos low. I would also never use manifolds. I would install front facing headers and v band y and high mount a single but all the systems that have singles use logs or factory manifolds.
bowtienick is offline   Reply With Quote