Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Night Owl LED
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2014, 02:55 AM   #26
redleader
redleader
 
redleader's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 V6 3.6L Auto 1LT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 1,746
Send a message via MSN to redleader
20 mpg on v6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin.i.campbell View Post
What size rims do you run(i believe that they have 18-20)? Mine are 20s and you should put 38-40 in then there tires

I put 36psi in my PZERO 20" and last winter when I had them first put on mpg dropped from having the STANDARD Factory 18"s , from 22mpg City to 17mpg city :-(

Winter 20" 17 mpg City
Winter 18" 22 mpg City
Summer 20" 27 mpg Motorway
Summer 18" 31 mpg Motorway
UK gallons & weather FYI
__________________
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:34 AM   #27
sspolo
 
sspolo's Avatar
 
Drives: None at the moment :'(
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
Nope. That is not it I can guarantee you

The number one factor in low MPGs is the driver
if it's not that, something is probably wrong
I say probably because every single driver will still claim it is the car even if it is not.


One my ride home from the dealer, BRAND NEW, I got 28.9 MPG average. Nothing do with a break-in period, which is pretty much an imaginary concept. Sorry
That's weird then. I do step on it at times, but I was sure I had to get good mileage on the freeway. I'm gonna reset the MPG when I fill up again and will drive really conservative to see if I can get better mileage.
sspolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:14 AM   #28
fp115
 
fp115's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oshawa, Canada
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin.i.campbell View Post
What size rims do you run(i believe that they have 18-20)? Mine are 20s and you should put 38-40 in then there tires
Firstly, rim size does not matter. The wheel manufacturer should not matter in most cases. The PSI depends on the car's ratings.

Secondly, I am running 20s, I have an SS/RS. The rating on the door says 36 PSI. The 2014 I just bought, with dusk 21" rims also states 36 PSI.

The rating provided by the manufacturer, GM, is the minimum PSI. Essentially the PSI you will run cold. It will go up as you drive. Anything other than 36 PSI cold will not get you the best results.
__________________
fp115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:40 AM   #29
bkscott

 
bkscott's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Grand Prairie, Texas
Posts: 1,295
Is it possible that they have switched over to the Winter Blend Gas already, and that is why your mileage is dropping?
__________________
94 Firebird Formula (Drowned 08/30/05)
2010 IBM 2SS/RS 6M Arrived 3/25/10.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace, BC Racing Coilovers, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushings,Forgestar F14's 20x9/11,Nitto Motivos, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:23 PM   #30
TommyTheCat
SLWMARO
 
TommyTheCat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspolo View Post
That's weird then. I do step on it at times, but I was sure I had to get good mileage on the freeway. I'm gonna reset the MPG when I fill up again and will drive really conservative to see if I can get better mileage.
Fill up with 91 or 93, whatever you can and while you're driving steady at 60 reset it and see what you're getting. Just keep on the freeway at that speed for a good 10 minutes see what you can get... If I do that, I get about 50. Which of course is not true, you waste the most gas turning on the car and in stop and go traffic. I usually drive city and I get 19.4 ish

Freeway I reset the trip right before I turn on the car for good trips and I will consitently get 33-28 ish depending on the drive.
__________________
13 Chevy Camaro 1LS
Need TSB information or a CARFAX for your vehicle? PM the VIN to me and I'll help you out.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #31
benjamin.i.campbell
 
benjamin.i.campbell's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 camaro v6 RS
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: KY
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp115 View Post
Firstly, rim size does not matter. The wheel manufacturer should not matter in most cases. The PSI depends on the car's ratings.

Secondly, I am running 20s, I have an SS/RS. The rating on the door says 36 PSI. The 2014 I just bought, with dusk 21" rims also states 36 PSI.

The rating provided by the manufacturer, GM, is the minimum PSI. Essentially the PSI you will run cold. It will go up as you drive. Anything other than 36 PSI cold will not get you the best results.
You sure bud? When I got my oil changed at the chevy dealership a couple months back they recommended 38-40
benjamin.i.campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:00 PM   #32
TommyTheCat
SLWMARO
 
TommyTheCat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,302
Whatever tires you get will say what the maximum rating on the tires is for PSI... Don't exceed the max. If you're looking for better MPGs, although you will hardly notice a difference at all, then you want higher pressure. Your tires will last longer this way

If you run less tire pressure, you will have more traction and therefore burn the tires out sooner...
But never run them right at the max. You'll blow the tire out easily
__________________
13 Chevy Camaro 1LS
Need TSB information or a CARFAX for your vehicle? PM the VIN to me and I'll help you out.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:47 AM   #33
fp115
 
fp115's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oshawa, Canada
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin.i.campbell View Post
You sure bud? When I got my oil changed at the chevy dealership a couple months back they recommended 38-40
Yes I am sure. Check the inside of your door and the owner's manual for further proof. The dealerships seem to err on many things. They told me 34 PSI, since most cars are 34. They always took air out of my tires whenever I went in. I had to report them to GM until they realized it was actually 36.
__________________
fp115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:53 AM   #34
fp115
 
fp115's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oshawa, Canada
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
Whatever tires you get will say what the maximum rating on the tires is for PSI... Don't exceed the max. If you're looking for better MPGs, although you will hardly notice a difference at all, then you want higher pressure. Your tires will last longer this way

If you run less tire pressure, you will have more traction and therefore burn the tires out sooner...
But never run them right at the max. You'll blow the tire out easily
If you go above the 36 PSI rating, your tires will NOT last longer. You will get uneven wear. The middle of the wheel will wear more than the rest of the wheel. A result of inflating above recommended by Chevrolet also results in a loss of traction.

Inflating to 36 PSI will give you the most even wear. The longest thread life. The best traction possible.
__________________
fp115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:00 PM   #35
redleader
redleader
 
redleader's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 V6 3.6L Auto 1LT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 1,746
Send a message via MSN to redleader
So, that's 36psi cold, when you get in your car on say a 12 degree Celsius morning?
__________________
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #36
fp115
 
fp115's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oshawa, Canada
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post
So, that's 36psi cold, when you get in your car on say a 12 degree Celsius morning?
If it is that cold out, your tires should be 36 PSI when you start your car. When you get temperature swings as great as that, this is where nitro is so much better... unless you are like me and have a compressor at home and don't mind adding or removing air as the temp changes.
__________________
fp115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:24 AM   #37
CreativeDawn
 
CreativeDawn's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1LT
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 548
I average about 28.9 to 31.00 if I recall correctly. I was on 280 on a decline/downward drive, kept it in Neutral (hyper drive) and I went all the way to 94.2 MPG....I was laughing at that point
CreativeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:35 AM   #38
benjamin.i.campbell
 
benjamin.i.campbell's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 camaro v6 RS
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: KY
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeDawn View Post
I average about 28.9 to 31.00 if I recall correctly. I was on 280 on a decline/downward drive, kept it in Neutral (hyper drive) and I went all the way to 94.2 MPG....I was laughing at that point
Hmmm. Only 94? Your flux capaciter myst not be working correctly.
benjamin.i.campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #39
191185
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS 6A
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard200593 View Post
I do allot of highway driving and I've always averaged 20-22 mpg In my v6. I've always felt it was a bit low but I do have exhaust and intake so I blame it on liking the sound at wot.
Not normal. lowest I get is 25 in city. 32 on highway
191185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #40
Tigerfan
 
Tigerfan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Blue Ray Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Auburn AL
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
Not normal. lowest I get is 25 in city. 32 on highway

I would love to get those numbers. Even with stock wheels and tires i couldn't get that.
Tigerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #41
Homer2
 
Homer2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LT/RS
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto. Ontario
Posts: 272
I'm getting 9.9 l/km.. which is 23.7 mpg... a lot of slow freeway crawling also.. so I am pleased.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:40 PM   #42
DSX_Camaro

 
DSX_Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Summit White 2LT/RS
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 32765
Posts: 1,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan View Post
I would love to get those numbers. Even with stock wheels and tires i couldn't get that.
Stock wheels and tires are your problem. Get lighter 20's or smaller with good tires (Goodyear, Michelin, etc) and it'll help.
__________________
Mods: VMAX Ported Throttle Body, K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Solo High Flow Cats, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Caliper Conversion, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, Custom 2.5"/3" Magnaflow Exhaust

Next: Wheels / Tires, or boost.

DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.