Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
2 2

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1lt.rs. Bottle fed
Locked Motor

I had an engine with a broken bearing due to 4 quarts of oil being lost. Not under warranty, so I took it to an engine shop. They had a local junk yard order a 2010 camaro from California. They don't know how many miles are on it?! Why is this? The mechanic said it appeard to have roughly 2k. I ended up paying 3,400 for the engine and installation. GM sent me a 1,000 dollar rebate. I just would like to know more about my engine like when it was built so on so forth. If anyone knows anything that would be great.

Jeff
Old 12-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 2 View Post
I had an engine with a broken bearing due to 4 quarts of oil being lost. Not under warranty, so I took it to an engine shop. They had a local junk yard order a 2010 camaro from California. They don't know how many miles are on it?! Why is this? The mechanic said it appeard to have roughly 2k. I ended up paying 3,400 for the engine and installation. GM sent me a 1,000 dollar rebate. I just would like to know more about my engine like when it was built so on so forth. If anyone knows anything that would be great.

Jeff

If you look at the engine cradle from the front of the car, looking down on the pass side in front of the motor, there should be a sticker there with your build date on it.
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
2 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oplay View Post
If you look at the engine cradle from the front of the car, looking down on the pass side in front of the motor, there should be a sticker there with your build date on it.
Thank you for your help
Old 12-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Quote:

Jeff
How come the broke motor not fixed under warranty?

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
2 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 GTO View Post
How come the broke motor not fixed under warranty?
Track slips in glove box :/
Old 12-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I am still hesitant to say we have a lot of motors dieing...b/c its not a LOT, but it sure does seem that in the past month or sowe've had a bit of an onslaught of motors dieing from the bearing issue.

Definitely a flaw in the build or design process somewhere....but I just hope these are isolated to a certain # of cars and not the entire LLT fleet (because of a design flaw).

On the other hand, there are V6 owners on this board that have mileage WAY above average and have reported zero problems. I'm just a bit worried that since I don't drive my car often and it has low mileage, that something like this may pop up right when my warranty is over. I can't speak for everyone here, but having to fork out several grand out of my pocket to fix a bum engine is not something I'd take lightly at all. Would put a hell of a dent in other plans.

I haven't heard of anyone mentioning this same flaw in the Acadia or CTS engines, so I'm hoping its an isolated issue!
Old 12-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
What mods do you have done?

Can GM really not warranty a car thats been to the drag strip? I think I've read somewhere they can, but it sounds ridiculous to build something like sport mode and launch control in a car they don't intend on you taking to the track (according to their warranty)
Old 12-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
2 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
What mods do you have done?

Can GM really not warranty a car thats been to the drag strip? I think I've read somewhere they can, but it sounds ridiculous to build something like sport mode and launch control in a car they don't intend on you taking to the track (according to their warranty)
No mods. Now I do.. I have nitrous now that my warranty is gone and the engine company that put my new engine in only offers a 6 month warranty. So I said heck with it and through 55 shot in with a cold air in.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
2 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I am still hesitant to say we have a lot of motors dieing...b/c its not a LOT, but it sure does seem that in the past month or sowe've had a bit of an onslaught of motors dieing from the bearing issue.

Definitely a flaw in the build or design process somewhere....but I just hope these are isolated to a certain # of cars and not the entire LLT fleet (because of a design flaw).

On the other hand, there are V6 owners on this board that have mileage WAY above average and have reported zero problems. I'm just a bit worried that since I don't drive my car often and it has low mileage, that something like this may pop up right when my warranty is over. I can't speak for everyone here, but having to fork out several grand out of my pocket to fix a bum engine is not something I'd take lightly at all. Would put a hell of a dent in other plans.

I haven't heard of anyone mentioning this same flaw in the Acadia or CTS engines, so I'm hoping its an isolated issue!
Only flaw I have heard of in cts is oil turning to custard.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Quote:
Oh my! Did you lose the 4 qts suddenly or over time? Did you see the low oil message or the idiot lite stay on at the low oil level?

Sorry for your misfortune.

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #11
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
2 2,

How often did you check your oil before realizing you where down 4?

BTW, the 3400 was a decent deal.....
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #12
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
Thats too bad mate, at least your back up and running. Hopefully it is an isolated issue, I've run nearly 60,000 miles with half of them turbocharged and since i have some leaks and nearly open pcv system, sometimes I've run my car dangerously low on oil but no lights or low oil messages have come on (less than 2-3 quarts left sometimes, but if I don't add oil every 4000 miles max i will be empty for sure by 5000).
(Sold Sept 2015) Stock 18" Heritage w/ BFG G-Force ZR tires / Blacked out bowties and tail lights / DIY Remote-Mount Turbo Kit (Precision 6776S .81ar ex. @ 6.5psi, Tial 38mm WG, Greddy Type-S BOV) / RX Catch Can / RX-FTI 3600 Stall / Blue Well Lights / Team LLT
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #13
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
honestly guys, its alot of motors. THink about it, were on a forum, think about the thousands of camaro owners who do not go on forums.
Its becoming quite and issue, I wonder what the general milage seems to be on these motors when they are spinning a bearing.

As for the OP, I would be soo pissed if they denied my warranty because of track slips, why the hell are they going into the glove box in the first place.
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #14
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
WOW... track slips in the glove box... dang...

Oh... I was going to say some pretty harsh things... but have deleted what I just typed... after hearing this and seeing all the spun bearing and stretched timing chains popping up.. ok... You guys know I a big V6 Camaro fan... but dang...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote