Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #1
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Drives: 2018 Summit White ZL1 1LE
MPG: ZL1 (LS-A) versus LS-3 with PD Blower?

I was looking at a Cadillac CTS-V sedan and noticed the gas mileage is very low on EPA estimates. I pulled up the ZL1 and noticed the EPA rating for the ZL1 is the same as the CTS-V. Both have the LS-A motor and 6.2L. However on an LS-3 motor with Maggie, Eforce, or other PD blowers, the mpg is barely affected in highway MPG. The in town mileage is not affected much either if you are easy on the throttle.

CTS-V: 12/18 EPA estimates
ZL-1: 14/19 ??

Real world numbers reported online show about 19 mph for CTS-V highway and about 18.5 to 20 hwy with ZL-1

I consistently get 24 mpg on highway trips in mine with Eforce.

So both LS-3 with PD and LS-A seem to be similiar in design from a simplistic fashion, yet the LS-3 gets 3-4 mpg higher in same driving route.

Why is this? Where is the dramatic loss of MPG in an LS-A come from?

Brian
1LE Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
The static compression ratio is lower. That's going to have a pretty big effect. I would imagine the dynamic c/r is lower too.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE Red Dragon View Post
I was looking at a Cadillac CTS-V sedan and noticed the gas mileage is very low on EPA estimates. I pulled up the ZL1 and noticed the EPA rating for the ZL1 is the same as the CTS-V. Both have the LS-A motor and 6.2L. However on an LS-3 motor with Maggie, Eforce, or other PD blowers, the mpg is barely affected in highway MPG. The in town mileage is not affected much either if you are easy on the throttle.

CTS-V: 12/18 EPA estimates
ZL-1: 14/19 ??

Real world numbers reported online show about 19 mph for CTS-V highway and about 18.5 to 20 hwy with ZL-1

I consistently get 24 mpg on highway trips in mine with Eforce.

So both LS-3 with PD and LS-A seem to be similiar in design from a simplistic fashion, yet the LS-3 gets 3-4 mpg higher in same driving route.

Why is this? Where is the dramatic loss of MPG in an LS-A come from?

Brian
When your driving for mileage the blower is out of the picture and just along for the ride.

The compression has the largest affect on fuel economy while cruising.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote