Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #15
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
With all I have in my sig I get very little drone at 65-75 or 80 mph. Just is a slight MRT growl from out back.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:47 PM   #16
BSR-1

Drives: 17 ZL1 M6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal2010yellow View Post
Solo's MACH X LLT with J PIPES and droneless because of their engeneering. The J PIPES ars long and it's because like a trombone, it has to have all the lenght to do the job.

IMO I don't think you can fit the J PIPES if you have anykind of mufflers.

Solo is my best investment so far, after EOM Splash Guards....
I don't think the "J" pipes need to be "J" shaped to do the same job. I think the length is the key ingredient.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #17
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
I don't think the "J" pipes need to be "J" shaped to do the same job. I think the length is the key ingredient.
You are correct sir.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #18
BSR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
You are correct sir.
So having mufflers would not stop you from having so called "J" pipes.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:30 AM   #19
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
So having mufflers would not stop you from having so called "J" pipes.
They might resemble a different letter than "J" Ha ha.

Poorman I hear ya on this one. However, I do not know how the Corsa does with LT's. Both Corsa and ARK sound fab and are engineered to not have drone IF you're just coming out of the stock headers and cats. Had this been my plan I would have probably went with ARK, though the Corsa's sound very good and look pretty slick as well.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) my plans included LT's. I just couldn't see myself pulling the trigger on an 1100.00-1400.00 cat back and then two months afterwards going nuts over the drone and having to either put my stock headers and cats back on, sell my catback and start over or just live with it.

SOLO seemed like the safe bet for what I'm trying to accomplish. So far, so good. Nobody sees those goofy looking j-pipes and those massive tips mean business.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:35 AM   #20
SIXJAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
GO Solo ! You won't get the drone !
Those tipes look so much better coming out of the SS diffuser. The larger exhaust openings and bigger fatter strakes are better proportioned with SOLO's 4 1/2" tips. They're fairly easy to come by. Just loiter around your local Chevy dealership when they're installing a GFX kit on an SS and ask them for the diffuser. Generally they just throw those away.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:38 AM   #21
Darkone

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT/RS SIM
So the J-pipes may fit, but they are too damn expensive for just 2 pipes. Checked out the Magnaflow resonated X-pipes which are less than half the price.

Anyone tried the resonated X-pipes with the MRT V2? Would they completely kill the exhaust sound apart from the drone?

Suspension: Pedders full cradle bushings & radius rod inserts, BMR swaybars & endlinks, LSR trailing arms, Pfadt endlink brace
Darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #22
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkone View Post
So the J-pipes may fit, but they are too damn expensive for just 2 pipes. Checked out the Magnaflow resonated X-pipes which are less than half the price.

Anyone tried the resonated X-pipes with the MRT V2? Would they completely kill the exhaust sound apart from the drone?

I did. I had it and the stockers till recently and took the stock resonators off. The combo of resonators does muffle the MRT growl abit and is a bit more quiet but when I took them off man does it sound good, a bit deeper and louder and reving sounds more clear and aggressive. The "drone" if you call it that wasnt any worse, maybe a bit better if thats possible, but I dont call it drone really, its more of the MRT growl and from out back not from inside the car but remember thats with well broken in mufflers. New it sounds like a hollow drum sound from the back seat so give it 2000 miles and should be alot better.

If you go resonated x pipe it is better then the stockers so they are not needed.The x pipe smoothens, deepens and gets rid of drone and rasp. Also makes more low to mid range torque according to Magnaflow as they have a header like scavanging affect, J pipes dont do that!
Old 09-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #23
Darkone

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbee View Post
I did. I had it and the stockers till recently and took the stock resonators off. The combo of resonators does muffle the MRT growl abit and is a bit more quiet but when I took them off man does it sound good, a bit deeper and louder and reving sounds more clear and aggressive. The "drone" if you call it that wasnt any worse, maybe a bit better if thats possible, but I dont call it drone really, its more of the MRT growl and from out back not from inside the car but remember thats with well broken in mufflers. New it sounds like a hollow drum sound from the back seat so give it 2000 miles and should be alot better.

If you go resonated x pipe it is better then the stockers so they are not needed.The x pipe smoothens, deepens and gets rid of drone and rasp. Also makes more low to mid range torque according to Magnaflow as they have a header like scavanging affect, J pipes dont do that!
So you're telling me that getting rid of the stock resonators and then adding the resonated X-pipes will make for a better deeper sound without the in-cabin drone? If so then I'm sold.

What if I just add the resonated X-pipes, without removing the stock resonators? The only other "sound mod" I have is roto-fab CAI if that makes any difference.

Suspension: Pedders full cradle bushings & radius rod inserts, BMR swaybars & endlinks, LSR trailing arms, Pfadt endlink brace
Darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #24
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkone View Post
So you're telling me that getting rid of the stock resonators and then adding the resonated X-pipes will make for a better deeper sound without the in-cabin drone? If so then I'm sold.

What if I just add the resonated X-pipes, without removing the stock resonators? The only other "sound mod" I have is roto-fab CAI if that makes any difference.
Yes, at least with my setup and I have the shorty headers which made it a bit louder along with the Injen when on it. I had the Magnaflow mufflers to start,all else in the sig and the drone was minimal, you'll get a bit with any exhaust though.The magi's were to muffled and quiet so came the MRTV2's and only a bit louder on the drone, but only a bit.Without the stock resonators the sound is deeper and more bass, the rumble louder and more clear and thats what I got in place of drone, I call it performance exhaust rumble from the pipes not a monotone hum sound.

Thing is here the Resonated x pipe does a better job of doing its job I think then the stock resonators and the two together is overkill as far as I can tell, at least it is if you did what I did.Now compared to the other way around, I cant as I never tested it that way. Best go to the exhaust sticky for mrt's, pick one, go to you tube and find Scrming's vid of him driving up and down his street in the snow, thats how it sounds only I'm a bit smoother and deeper in tone as he has the h pipe on and stock resonators. Also find his in cabin vid, also in the snow, with headers and mrt's.

And a disclaimer ,sound is in the ear of the beholder. I like mine alot and much more happy now then before.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #25
BSR-1

My .02:

MRT V2, don't worry about the X-pipe.
My exhaust sounded great with just the V2's and Injen long tube intake.

After I put LT headers I had to add the X-pipe because it was just too damn loud!
The X-pipe fixed the loud but it still sounded better with just the V2's.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #26
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post

Those tipes look so much better coming out of the SS diffuser. The larger exhaust openings and bigger fatter strakes are better proportioned with SOLO's 4 1/2" tips. They're fairly easy to come by. Just loiter around your local Chevy dealership when they're installing a GFX kit on an SS and ask them for the diffuser. Generally they just throw those away.
I also changed the diffuser for the SS..
Member of 'Club Elite' #70
2LT/RS Auto / Solo HFC / Solo Mach X-LLT J-Pipe / JBA Headers Shorty
CAI - Cold Air Inductions / VMAX TB / Trifecta Tune
Hotchkis Max Strut Brace / Blade Dovetail Spoiler / Elite Catch Can
ACS T3 Hood Ports / T2 Bumper Ports / T2 Splitter / ACS T1 Led Light Kit
ACS Rockers / ACS Composite Hood Liner / ACS Upper Rear Quarter Ports
ACS Front Wheel Mud Flaps / ACS Rear Wheel Mud Flaps / Vitesse Throttle Controller
Pedders Drop Suspension / BMR Lower Control Arms / Style 41 ZL1 Wheels /
Oracle Afterburners / Oracle Concept SMD Side markers
Complete SS Brembo Brakes Set
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:54 AM   #27
SIXJAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRay View Post
I also changed the diffuser for the SS..
Old 03-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #28
butters

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
This is what I mean.
I think if you had the V1's you would have very little difficulty as they are similar in size to the SOLO resonators. The V2's are much bigger so getting them to fit would be a bigger challenge. Like I said call SOLO and talk to them. They have fabulous support.

So you V1 ppl who are loving your exhaust sound but not your drone, this mod is for you.
Nice! Is that part of a kit? link?
butters is offline   Reply With Quote