Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-13-2012, 02:23 AM   #1
ben3350

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT ABM
My camaro shakes when accelerating and rough in idle

Just bought a 2010 camaro v6 about 2 weeks ago from a dealership. Had clean history, but with 96k miles. bout it super cheap though.

Just a few days ago, I started having this problem, and I think it's an engine issue. Whenever I punch it, my car seems to have a real bumpy ride and starts to shake. It stays right in the middle of whatever 2 RPM's I'm between and just shakes up and down as well. And when I'm in idle, the car is rough and shakes mildly.

This seems to only happen when I push the car. When I drive carefully and without much acceleration, it's fine. But if I push it a bit, it will start shaking. The check engine light is on as well. Whenever I give it some extra gas, the check engine light will actually flash on and off as the ride is bumpy.

I plan to take it into a shop soon, but cant right now because of work, I plan to take it on the weekend. Some friends thought it might be a tire alignment issue, but it doesn't seem like that would be the case because the check engine light flashes when this happens. I'm taking it to the shop this weekend but just wanted to see if any of the members here had any idea about this problem in the meantime. It's got 96k miles on it, so an engine problem doesn't seem that far fetched, but just wanted to hear what you guys had to say. I've got a 2 year engine and transmission warranty starting the day I bought it so hopefully it'll be fine but just wanted to hear any other advice.

Thanks
ben3350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben3350 View Post
Just bought a 2010 camaro v6 about 2 weeks ago from a dealership. Had clean history, but with 96k miles. bout it super cheap though.

Just a few days ago, I started having this problem, and I think it's an engine issue. Whenever I punch it, my car seems to have a real bumpy ride and starts to shake. It stays right in the middle of whatever 2 RPM's I'm between and just shakes up and down as well. And when I'm in idle, the car is rough and shakes mildly.

This seems to only happen when I push the car. When I drive carefully and without much acceleration, it's fine. But if I push it a bit, it will start shaking. The check engine light is on as well. Whenever I give it some extra gas, the check engine light will actually flash on and off as the ride is bumpy.

I plan to take it into a shop soon, but cant right now because of work, I plan to take it on the weekend. Some friends thought it might be a tire alignment issue, but it doesn't seem like that would be the case because the check engine light flashes when this happens. I'm taking it to the shop this weekend but just wanted to see if any of the members here had any idea about this problem in the meantime. It's got 96k miles on it, so an engine problem doesn't seem that far fetched, but just wanted to hear what you guys had to say. I've got a 2 year engine and transmission warranty starting the day I bought it so hopefully it'll be fine but just wanted to hear any other advice.

Thanks
You are taking the correct steps into getting your vehicle diagnosed by a dealership. Please let us know if they were able to address the concerns you are having. Also if you want to PM me your VIN I will be able to check your warranty parameters and coverage. I look forward to your updates.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
gr8daneh
460 RWHP 420 RWTQ

Drives: 2SS/RS - IBM LS3 M6
And to think some of us actually pay for those exact symptoms to happen as we cruise through the car show...

Sorry to hear about your problems. I hope it works out for you and they can make it better.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
NDC123
The Machinist

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 IBM silver rally
No offense to anyone but I wouldn't recommend giving anyone your VIN.
NDC123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
I was thinking the same! Sounds like a ghost cam tune...
Monchy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Since you have a warranty, you should take it to the dealer, not "a shop".

Sounds like ignition or fuel injection, BTW.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:42 AM   #7
ben3350

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT ABM
took the car to my chevy dealer and turns out the camaro just needed a firmware update. I don't really understand how an update like that could fix that issue, but it did so I'm happy.

95$ diagnostic fee kind of sucked though since it turned out they just needed to update the firmware.
ben3350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben3350 View Post
took the car to my chevy dealer and turns out the camaro just needed a firmware update. I don't really understand how an update like that could fix that issue, but it did so I'm happy.

95$ diagnostic fee kind of sucked though since it turned out they just needed to update the firmware.
It is great your vehicle's issue was addressed. Could you please send me your VIN so I can take a look at it and see if there are any options available to you for the diagnostic fee? I can't guarantee anything; however, I would like to look into it. Just send it through PM.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDC123 View Post
No offense to anyone but I wouldn't recommend giving anyone your VIN.
LOL...some dealers show the VINs of all their inventory cars on the web. Nobody can do anything nafarious with your VIN.