Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #1
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Exclamation Camaro Ground Effects Memo 7/7/09 - proper installation tips

Also reported on homepage.

The Camaro Action Center and Technical Assistance have received calls related to the GM Accessory Camaro Ground Effects and problems with the front air dam coming loose. After review of each of the calls to the Action center it was determined that the installation instructions were not completely followed.

It is important to make sure that all of the front attachment rivets are installed. There are 16 rivets used for the SS and 4 are installed with the fascia off the vehicle. There are 17 rivets used for the base model.

Do not use petroleum based cleaning products. If a strong cleaner is required use a 3M general purpose cleaners (P/N 08984). Tape will not adhere to a surface with residue left from petroleum based cleaning products.

Be sure to apply 15lbs of pressure to tape for proper wet out. After the kit has been installed the car should not be driven for 24 hours. The tape that is used during the installation of the front air dam must sit for 24 hours for complete adhesion.

Remember there are two different Ground Effect Kits available.

Part number 92207441 is only used on the base model Camaro
Part number 92208008 is only used on the SS model Camaro

Old 07-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
As always, a big thanks and much appreciation sir....

Mine at sunset
Old 07-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Thank you Scotty.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
gtjacket
2G1FT1EW0A9118618

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black/IOM M6
I hope my dealer got the memo. BTW Scotty, did they say how long orders would have to wait. I remember hearing they would be shipped in early July. I have waited 2 weeks now and am hoping to see them come in soon.
3400, Order broadcast 6/4
3800, Order produced 6/15
4000, Available to ship 6/16
4104, Bailment Invoice
4200, Shipped 6/19
6000, Delivered to the customer 6/25

2SS/RS BLK M6 GFX IOM interior
Old 07-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
sharbaugh
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: IMB RS SS MANUAL LOADED
Had my car two weeks and mine were B/O with no delivery date estimate. Any news would be appreciated.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #6
rogue

Drives: 67 CAMARO
ok im going to call bull shit on that one. my dealer did that very thing,and the car was not driven for a ful day( i know it wasnt driven b/c i took the keys home with me and the guys at the dealership worked on it where i parked it)picked the car up lthe next night well after the 24 hr period. drove it the next morning to drop of some movies at blockbuster which is not even 10 miles from my house and when i came back out the front middle was hanging.
it is a bad idea to use tape period on ground effects of a car, any car period. drill 3 screws evenly spaced under the ground effect, in the middle section and the problem will be solved.just use a little commense as to how long the screw should be and how tuck them far enough back as to not be seen.
but thanks for the memeo.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
They don't only use tape - they use 8 rivets to hold the front ground effect on.

Here's the original GFX install screen shot:
Name:  gfx.jpg
Views: 12285
Size:  165.6 KB
Old 07-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
qbert48

Drives: 2SS SIM
mine were installed by the dealer some time before i went to get the car and i drove 643 miles to my door and had no issues with the ground fx
Attached Images

welcome home
1100 4-27-09
6000 6-27-09

yes i got to the dance late don't hate me
Old 07-07-2009, 06:13 PM   #9
aldaran

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mifbody View Post
They don't only use tape - they use 8 rivets to hold the front ground effect on.
I agree, if the instructions are followed to a "T" it should work. The flares on my truck are held by tape and fasteners and I haven't had an issue with them. It all falls back on who installed them and was it done properly.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #10
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
ok im going to call bull shit on that one. my dealer did that very thing,and the car was not driven for a ful day( i know it wasnt driven b/c i took the keys home with me and the guys at the dealership worked on it where i parked it)picked the car up lthe next night well after the 24 hr period. drove it the next morning to drop of some movies at blockbuster which is not even 10 miles from my house and when i came back out the front middle was hanging.
it is a bad idea to use tape period on ground effects of a car, any car period. drill 3 screws evenly spaced under the ground effect, in the middle section and the problem will be solved.just use a little commense as to how long the screw should be and how tuck them far enough back as to not be seen.
How do you know for sure that your dealer installed the front piece correctly? Did you count all the rivets, removed the front fascia and confirmed the correct amount of rivets were installed with it off?

Did you leave your car in the bay area over a lift? The instruction says the front fascia needs to be removed for a few of those rivets to be installed. It seems your dealer didn't follow the instructions to the letter and they just installed the front piece with the double sided tape and probably some but not all the rivets were installed. They probably didn't bother taking the front fascia off to install the required amount of rivets. If you didn't leave your car over a lift and they couldn't move your car to a lift, they probably didn't want to be bothered using a regular jack to lift the front and work on their back to install the front piece correctly. You don't see too many dealer mechanics crawling around on their backs under a car these days, do you?
Old 07-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #11
qbert48

Drives: 2SS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
How do you know for sure that your dealer installed the front piece correctly? Did you count all the rivets, removed the front fascia and confirmed the correct amount of rivets were installed with it off?

Did you leave your car in the bay area over a lift? The instruction says the front fascia needs to be removed for a few of those rivets to be installed. It seems your dealer didn't follow the instructions to the letter and they just installed the front piece with the double sided tape and probably some but not all the rivets were installed. They probably didn't bother taking the front fascia off to install the required amount of rivets. If you didn't leave your car over a lift and they couldn't move your car to a lift, they probably didn't want to be bothered using a regular jack to lift the front and work on their back to install the front piece correctly. You don't see too many dealer mechanics crawling around on their backs under a car these days, do you?

welcome home
1100 4-27-09
6000 6-27-09

yes i got to the dance late don't hate me
Old 07-07-2009, 06:54 PM   #12
KoTToN

Drives: 2005 SilveradoSS AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post

how do you know the tape wasnt applied until 4 hours before you picked it up? Your car probably sat there all day untill someone was free to work on it.
Like I said before, there is a dealership that is 4 miles away from my house that has 3 2SS's just sitting on their lot. And this is a very small dealership it's not a high volume dealership in a populated area., Come early summer, when 2011's are coming out, the camaro will be offered for 0%. I guarantee it
Sales Forcasting 101B:
Quote:
Originally Posted by returnofcc View Post
apparently you didn't understand my post correctly. If there are 4 (now 6) camaros sitting at a low volume dealership, just imagine how many are sitting at the high volume dealerships
Old 07-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #13
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Just out of curiosity, what part of this is new news? That bulletin has been out for months...
Old 07-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #14
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mifbody View Post
Just out of curiosity, what part of this is new news? That bulletin has been out for months...
Doesn't mean that everyone has seen it (I haven't) or that it's not useful despite it's age, but thank you for the screencapture of the install diagram.

Closed Thread