Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-18-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
NewbieDIYer

Drives: 2013 2LT RS Blue Ray Metallic
Question IPS Twin Turbo or Other Mods?

Hi Camaro5.
Just want to start off saying thanks for all the help indirectly, as I've been lurking around the forums since i got my 2013 camaro 2LT RS back in may. with that being said, I'm new to actually posting and navigating thru the site (I usually just google search and read the first suggestion. lol) so if I'm in the wrong place, sorry! But on to the post. Now that I've had my car for a summer, and have had time to appreciate my first car, I think its definitely time to start modding! I've read up as much as I can on different options and came up with 2 scenarios. This is where I need your help! I have been saving since I got the car for some serious mods (at least serious by my standards, which are nothing compared to some of you! lol). I already have cosmetic mods like bowtie lights and interior footwell and dome lights. So i'm thinking one of these two options:
1) GO BIG or GO HOME and get the IPS twin turbo installed
-or-
2) Get the MRT v2 exhaust, magna flow X-pipe, CAI intake, VMAX throttle Body, and SOLO catalytic converters.

Now before I'm bombarded with the "why would you NOT choose turbo?!" let me just lay the context. I've been saving for a while now, so the funds arent an issue, the issue is WHEN. I can get option 2 right now. so as soon as its warmer (Chicago, IL lol) I'd make the purchase. now the turbo, I cant afford right now, but most likely by the end of summer i can. (or worst case scenario i can afford by next fall and get install by spring of '15.)
now with that being said, is the turbo good for use as a DD in Chicago weather? Now I wont drive thru lakes of flooding, but it will drive thru snow and some small puddles when it rains. will that be enough to go kaplooey? and will all those other mods work if i decide to get the turbo later? or will it all be wasted money/time installing?

Thanks everyone for the help, now and in the future!

ps. not sure how i get notified if people respond, so I'll check back later if I dont get some sort of notification letting me know that someone responded. lol
NewbieDIYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:46 PM   #2
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
If you think you might want the turbos in the future, just buy the turbo kit from the beginning. Reason I say this is because the turbo kit will easily gain you double what all the other mods combined would get you. I don't know much about the weather thing but there's always the IPF supercharger option if you think there may be a problem with the turbos. I would rather do a turbo kit though

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
NewbieDIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
If you think you might want the turbos in the future, just buy the turbo kit from the beginning. Reason I say this is because the turbo kit will easily gain you double what all the other mods combined would get you. I don't know much about the weather thing but there's always the IPF supercharger option if you think there may be a problem with the turbos. I would rather do a turbo kit though
Yeah, thats what I figured. If the weather would be okay for the turbo, I would love to get it! But will those other mods "fit" with the turbo? I was also thinking if i go with the multiple mods for now, then get the turbo once i get more money, probably next year at earliest. hopefully by then ill have a new DD and my Maro can be my weekend baby
edit: oh and is the turbo reliable? will i need alot of maintenance to keep it up? orjust regular maintenance?
Old 02-18-2014, 08:07 PM   #4
lscamaro

The intake won't work, and the cats probably wouldn't either. I'm not 100% sure if the x-pipe will matter or not but the MRT will be ok. The VMAX should too. This is assuming you do a mid-mounted setup. Having said that, truth be told, you probably wouldn't even notice any of the other mods once you mounted the turbos.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:22 PM   #5
SoCalThug

Drives: 2012 Summit White 1Ls
Save for a turbo
SoCalThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
NewbieDIYer

Quote:
The intake won't work, and the cats probably wouldn't either. I'm not 100% sure if the x-pipe will matter or not but the MRT will be ok. The VMAX should too. This is assuming you do a mid-mounted setup. Having said that, truth be told, you probably wouldn't even notice any of the other mods once you mounted the turbos.
Ah okay, so it will basically be a wasted investment to get all that done.. Hm I'm really not sure what to do. If the turbo would be good for DD, then I'll do that for sure. I just dont want to get the turbo, then my lack of knowledge about it makes it so that i blow the car up I just want to make my baby faster. plus it doesnt help that my buddy has a Charger RT, and gives me shit that i have a v6, although i keep up with him and his v8 and everything on mine is stock. lol i would love to see his disbelief whenever he gives me shit about v6 yet i take off like a rocket next to him. lol. i think all those other mods would do the trick, because chargers are pretty slow, haha
Old 02-18-2014, 08:29 PM   #7
NewbieDIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalThug View Post
Save for a turbo
yeah thats what i'm leaning towards, but i need to be sure that chicago wont kill her with the turbo. lol. im a smart driver, so i wont be hittin potholes, or big puddles, but when it rains/snows here, theres no avoiding it.
plus i want to be sure whatever i do will be reliable, dont want a ruined car lol
Old 02-18-2014, 09:02 PM   #8
lscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieDIYer View Post
Ah okay, so it will basically be a wasted investment to get all that done.. Hm I'm really not sure what to do. If the turbo would be good for DD, then I'll do that for sure. I just dont want to get the turbo, then my lack of knowledge about it makes it so that i blow the car up I just want to make my baby faster. plus it doesnt help that my buddy has a Charger RT, and gives me shit that i have a v6, although i keep up with him and his v8 and everything on mine is stock. lol i would love to see his disbelief whenever he gives me shit about v6 yet i take off like a rocket next to him. lol. i think all those other mods would do the trick, because chargers are pretty slow, haha
Chargers are definitely slow. I've beat a few R/T's at the track and they're always mad that they got beat by the "v6".

Every FI system is only as good as the tune behind it. So no matter what route you decide to do whether it be supercharger or turbo system, be absolutely sure that the tune is good and safe. If you're an absolute newbie to this, I suggest one of two things. Go with a supercharger or read up on what it takes to keep up with a turbo system. I personally love turbos but I think in your case a supercharger system might be a little better. Although I do have one suggestion. I would post in the regional forums and ask what others are doing who have turbo kits and are daily drivers.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:06 PM   #9
NewbieDIYer

Quote:
Chargers are definitely slow. I've beat a few R/T's at the track and they're always mad that they got beat by the "v6".

Every FI system is only as good as the tune behind it. So no matter what route you decide to do whether it be supercharger or turbo system, be absolutely sure that the tune is good and safe. If you're an absolute newbie to this, I suggest one of two things. Go with a supercharger or read up on what it takes to keep up with a turbo system. I personally love turbos but I think in your case a supercharger system might be a little better. Although I do have one suggestion. I would post in the regional forums and ask what others are doing who have turbo kits and are daily drivers.
yea i think i want to go with turbo if i had to choose. ive read people on here say that the ips turbo is great. but i'll look more into the supercharger. i read that ipf has a great kit.
i didnt know about the regional threads. ill have to find that and ask.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #10
HP Turbine
Boosted

Drives: 2012 1LT RS... with snails
Mine is a daily driver. The car drives like a normal car until you step on it so if you're driving in the snow and you want to be conservative, you can. I've driven mine through plenty of snow and rain. I worry more about rain than snow.

IPS Twin Turbos, Corsa Exhaust, Ported Throttle Body. 461 rwhp 443 rwtq!! *Cameron Hass.ani*
HP Turbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #11
NewbieDIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Turbine View Post
Mine is a daily driver. The car drives like a normal car until you step on it so if you're driving in the snow and you want to be conservative, you can. I've driven mine through plenty of snow and rain. I worry more about rain than snow.
Glad to hear that! Do you have anything to help with going thru the rain or anything? I've heard of that hydro sock thing, does that actually work?
And as for maintenance, do you do anything special for it? I don't know much about taking care of the turbo, but I mean, I take my car for regular oil changes and regular maintenance. Is that enough? And do you out premium gas?
I'm driving myself silly from all the reading I've done trying to educate myself on all things car related lol
Old 02-19-2014, 04:26 PM   #12
HP Turbine
Boosted

93 octane all day every day. I don't use a hydro sock. I also don't drive through huge puddles. snow tires obviously. I've just done regular oils changes and draining the catch can. I'm mostly likely going to go in for a tune up and some extra work this spring. So i'll see if there are any gremlins that I haven't noticed.

IPS Twin Turbos, Corsa Exhaust, Ported Throttle Body. 461 rwhp 443 rwtq!! *Cameron Hass.ani*
Old 02-19-2014, 04:36 PM   #13
NewbieDIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Turbine View Post
93 octane all day every day. I don't use a hydro sock. I also don't drive through huge puddles. snow tires obviously. I've just done regular oils changes and draining the catch can. I'm mostly likely going to go in for a tune up and some extra work this spring. So i'll see if there are any gremlins that I haven't noticed.
Do you have to go in once a year or so to get it tuned? Or is that just a precautionary measure?
Old 02-19-2014, 07:16 PM   #14
HP Turbine
Boosted

I've only had the turbos since July. I just want to add meth to it.

Tags
cai, ips turbo, mrtv2, vmax tb