Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-17-2021, 06:14 PM   #15
bayarea408

Drives: T
if it was my car and my turbo went out in that fashion. i would take my bumper cover off, unbolt the intercooler and literally shake it LOL. The fins and cooler style may have trapped or caught particles from going into the motor. This would be an excellent chance to make sure. I'd honestly just buy another intercooler. metal bits are not a laughing matter.
bayarea408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #16
robbiegordon
Robert

Drives: 2011 Summit White SS LS3
Yah I was afraid of this ... ordered an agp intercooler and new tial 50mm bov since the flange they use is different.
Going to have to rework some of the intercooler plumbing but not trying to destroy my motor too.

If anyone needs a turbonetics dou 35 BOV I'll be listing it soon .
Attached Images

Last edited by robbiegordon; 05-18-2021 at 06:06 PM.
robbiegordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:49 PM   #17
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea408 View Post
if it was my car and my turbo went out in that fashion. i would take my bumper cover off, unbolt the intercooler and literally shake it LOL. The fins and cooler style may have trapped or caught particles from going into the motor. This would be an excellent chance to make sure. I'd honestly just buy another intercooler. metal bits are not a laughing matter.
Great advice... I blew up two in one weekend... These were the smaller turbos (67/66’s) we overspun...

Note the smaller compressor wheel remnant, (second image) and the housing image blown out at the inlet mouth and at the weld L (third image)... The shaft broke, the wheel bounced around for a moment shattering the inlet mouth, and then smoked out the discharge port shattering the weld L and we found it in the mouth of the intercooler three or so feet away from the turbo...

We removed all of the cold side plumbing and the intercooler and spray/blow cleaned the piping with carb cleaner and air, and shook the hell out of the intercooler... We also had to remove the Turbowerx oil scavenge pump and pulled some ball bearings from there...

lmao, did this all at the track, trying to continue the weekend...

We blew up the first one on Friday evening in 5th gear at 200+ and had a replacement built and overnighted... Got it Saturday morning, cut the housing and welded the weld L on clocked to the right position... Very easy shakedown pass Saturday evening and first hard pass Sunday morning, at redline in first gear the new turbo blew up... Precision replaced the second one at no cost... I had run the first one for over a year... I was thrilled with the service and support...
Attached Images

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:21 PM   #18
robbiegordon
Robert

Mine wasn't quite as catastrophic, but it Sounds like I made the right call just replacing it all. Lol glad to here about precision being so great. Especially after such a weak experience with turbonetics
Old 05-23-2021, 05:43 PM   #19
robbiegordon
Robert

Do you guys run any oil restrictor on the pte 76/75 ? I know they say not to generally. I have a melling high volume oil pump, if that makes any difference... I think I have .045 in there now , that I was running on my turbonetics.... otherwise . Just waiting on the intercooler.
Attached Images

Last edited by robbiegordon; 05-24-2021 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-24-2021, 07:41 AM   #20
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
If it's ball bearing you likely need a restrictor.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:30 AM   #21
robbiegordon
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
If it's ball bearing you likely need a restrictor.
Thanks,
That's what people keep telling me too. Just need to figure out the size .

It is a ball bearing, and guess has its own restrictor but the turbonetics did and I ended up using an inline as well..

I found some information from precision so I'm going to try and run it without an additional restrictor i guess , per precision's reccomendation. And dial it down if it smokes.
Attached Images

Last edited by robbiegordon; 05-24-2021 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-25-2021, 12:42 AM   #22
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiegordon View Post
Thanks,
That's what people keep telling me too. Just need to figure out the size .

It is a ball bearing, and guess has its own restrictor but the turbonetics did and I ended up using an inline as well..

I found some information from precision so I'm going to try and run it without an additional restrictor i guess , per precision's reccomendation. And dial it down if it smokes.
I’ll check around and see if I have documentation of the feed restrictor size we run... may not be applicable to yours since we run high pressure oil feed with a dry sump...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:13 PM   #23
robbiegordon
Robert

Thank you.
I threw on the 4 an line with no restrictor, so now only running with the factory installed restrictor. So far no smoke at idle. Still waiting on cold side parts to be able to drive it though. Time will tell.
Old 05-25-2021, 08:47 PM   #24
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
No restrictor on my Huron Speed kit for two years. I have Melling too and no issues. I have good idle oil pressure and turbo seems happy.
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:59 PM   #25
robbiegordon
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCompiler View Post
No restrictor on my Huron Speed kit for two years. I have Melling too and no issues. I have good idle oil pressure and turbo seems happy.
Good to know , thanks for the info .
Old 05-26-2021, 06:48 PM   #26
robbiegordon
Robert

I noticed while connecting my intercooler piping that there is a tiny amount of rotational type play of the compressor housing even after confirming all the bolts are tight.
Is it normal for the compressor housing to have a tiny amount or any play ?
Video .

https://youtu.be/kSC33WXUo5A

It's a little hard to see but im pressing up and down on the snout of the compressor housing and it has slight wiggle up and down between the compressor housing backplate and the chra. Going to call pte tomorrow when they open

*update* spoke with precision , not suppose to be loose there , on the gen2 to the mounting hardware seems to be internal.

Last edited by robbiegordon; 05-27-2021 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:16 AM   #27
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
i have a turbonetics stage 2...and seem to get smoke at idle...never used to when i first installed the original turbo (then it failed). its a new turbo and a rebuilt engine. interested in how to put a restrictor on and what size...i am assuming if you restrict too much you starve the turbo of oil and bad things happen.
Turbonetics running 8lbs boost at 700rwhp tuned by Hi Rev, installed by K&M w/cat-muffler delete, ACS splitter, Fesler GFX, MPD1 spoiler, Custom painted Rally stripes, Cordon CR1 wheels 275/315s, Hotchkiss comp sways and end links, Barton shifter
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 09:31 AM   #28
robbiegordon
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
i have a turbonetics stage 2...and seem to get smoke at idle...never used to when i first installed the original turbo (then it failed). its a new turbo and a rebuilt engine. interested in how to put a restrictor on and what size...i am assuming if you restrict too much you starve the turbo of oil and bad things happen.
Yah you definitely only want to go as small as absolutely necessary imo. I would first verify your oil drain is good, no blockages, kinks, turns ect... I had smoking issues with my stage 1 turbonetics, ended up being a drain issue (to low into pan, had to move it ) . But In The process I ended up using this restrictor with the larger of the 2 inserts. Just installs in between your turbo and oil feed. Ran for over 5 years with no issues

https://vibrantperformance.com/catal...993c842b31d65a