Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #113
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
Lets say the Z is 2012 with the LSA and 6 speed, good driver, --what is the 1/4 mile time????????????
Some rags' have been getting low-to-bottom-12s with A6 CTS-Vs, that I suspect would weigh a couple hundred pounds more, so I'm going to say it should be aroud there.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #114
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
that sir is your personal opinion and although in some aspects I agree. like the weight reduction. BUT the LS7 is a limiting factor for performance minded individuals. while the LSA is a good engine to start off with.

but how can you say the Z28 is watered down when the 4th gen Z28 out handled the 1st gen? and it will be the same with the 5th gen. you can guarantee that.
Well I think that since the Z28 has changed so much from its initial 1st Gen formula as a factory built Camaro for specifications to compete in the Trans Am series against other American built Pony cars. Not comparing the generations against each other but more of understanding what the Z28 was built for and what it has become. Nimble handling, great balance and proportional power for the best overall performance was the Z28 and that's quite different than the more street set up SS that was built for the more traditional muscle car era of straight line performance. That formula was lost in the second and forth generations when the Z28 maybe by its own popularity just became the base model V8 Camaro while the SS went on hiatus.
The 4th Gen seemed to actually flip the SS and Z28 around. The SS was a better balanced and better handling car than the non 1LE Z28. Much appreciation to the 4th Gen 1LE Z28 they are great cars and well deserving of the Z28 heritage IMO.
I guess you have to figure for yourself what the Z28 brand means. To me it's not the base V8 Camaro and it's also not a nose heavy supercharged 4000+ lb uber expensive Camaro. An LSA powered Camaro moves further from the Z28 identity IMO. Should we call that Camaro ZL1 and leave the Z28 brand to history until a Camaro comes along that can fit the formula? I guess that's for GM marketing to figure out.
2002 White Camaro Z28 A4
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:52 PM   #115
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
Well I think that since the Z28 has changed so much from its initial 1st Gen formula as a factory built Camaro for specifications to compete in the Trans Am series against other American built Pony cars. Not comparing the generations against each other but more of understanding what the Z28 was built for and what it has become. Nimble handling, great balance and proportional power for the best overall performance was the Z28 and that's quite different than the more street set up SS that was built for the more traditional muscle car era of straight line performance. That formula was lost in the second and forth generations when the Z28 maybe by its own popularity just became the base model V8 Camaro while the SS went on hiatus.
The 4th Gen seemed to actually flip the SS and Z28 around. The SS was a better balanced and better handling car than the non 1LE Z28. Much appreciation to the 4th Gen 1LE Z28 they are great cars and well deserving of the Z28 heritage IMO.
I guess you have to figure for yourself what the Z28 brand means. To me it's not the base V8 Camaro and it's also not a nose heavy supercharged 4000+ lb uber expensive Camaro. An LSA powered Camaro moves further from the Z28 identity IMO. Should we call that Camaro ZL1 and leave the Z28 brand to history until a Camaro comes along that can fit the formula? I guess that's for GM marketing to figure out.
seeing how you are aware of the history. you will recall the only reason the SS out performed the 4th gen Z28 in handling and straight line other then the 1LE's. is because SLP and the fact the Z28 was already in production. peoples views are skewed on the 4th gen setup.

as for the 4000+lb camaro we don't even know what a Z28 will be. everyone is assuming it's going to be an LSA powered camaro with no other real modifications. we might see an LSA powered light weight due to titanium/aluminum/carbon fiber etc. we might see, god forbid, a TT v6 camaro like the jay leno car. with the light weight materials. all this is speculation.

Times change, cars purposes change (no more trans am series), and just because it weights in at over 4000 lbs doesn't mean it can't perform. in the end that's what matters most. performance.

you and me both would love to see a lighter version of the camaro and a non FI camaro. but no LS7 for me. give me that DI v8 pushing more hp with less ci. but we will see what happens.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #116
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
The LSA

Detroit 2008: 2009 LSA 6.2L supercharged V-8 in depth

by Sam Abuelsamid (RSS feed) on Jan 14th 2008 at 12:00AM

We've now had a couple of weeks to digest the new 620+hp LS9 V8 in the Corvette ZR1, it's time to see what else the GM Powertrain team has up its sleeves. The other half of the GM power duo to be displayed at the 2008 North American International Auto Show is the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V. The CTS-V is propelled by an engine closely related to the LS9 and carrying the designation LSA.

Like the LS9, the LSA is an aluminum block 6.2L V-8 with an Eaton 6th generation two-rotor supercharger. The basic configuration matches the LS9 with the blower sitting in the valley of the block. An air to liquid intercooler sits on top of the supercharger. Differences between the two engines are primarily intended to give the Cadillac an extra air of refinement compared to the sports car and result in the LSA "only" producing 550 hp and 550 lb-ft of torque. Read on after the jump to learn about the differences between the LS9 and LSA.

[Source: General Motors]

Gallery: Detroit 2008: GM LSA V-8

The single biggest difference leading to lower output for the Cadillac is the supercharger displacement. While the LS9 has a 2.3L blower, the unit in the CTS-V only displaces 1.9L. Aside from the size, the blower is based on the same four lobe rotor design with 160 degrees of twist to the lobes. The design provides greater efficiency and thirty-five percent less power draw than the previous three lobe design in addition to much quieter operation. The maximum boost pressure is reduced from 10.5 psi to 9.0 psi.

Since the CTS-V had a little more vertical and longitudinal space under the hood than the Corvette, the engineers were able to use a different intercooler. The LS9 intercooler has two separate heat exchanger units that are split on either side of the supercharger outlet. The LSA has a single heat exchanger that is slightly taller but has more efficient airflow. The other packaging difference is the use of a third drive belt dedicated to the supercharger rather than the two belt system used on the ZR1 engine.

The lower pressures mean that some of the material changes that were implemented on the LS9 were not necessary on the LSA. The titanium connecting rods and intake valves are replaced by forged powdered metal and SilChromel, respectively. The exhaust valves on the LSA are not sodium filled either. The exhaust manifolds are cast iron rather than stainless steel as on the LS9 and the main bearing caps are nodular iron rather than steel.

The pistons in the LSA are hyper-eutectic cast aluminum rather than being forged. The piston skirts are polymer coated for improved scuff resistance and reduced NVH. The sumped top design of the pistons is retained, which allows for clearing the valves without machined valve pockets. The continuous surface free of edges helps to avoid hot spots that can contribute to pre-ignition.

The LSA also gets the dual pressure fuel system used in the the LS9, but the top pressure is reduced from 600kPa to 450kPa. The LSA gets the same beefed up block casting, seven-layer head gasket and 12mm head bolts as its big brother. The improved lubrication system including the squirters that spray oil on the bottom of the pistons is also retained. In total, the LSA and LS9 have about 100 new part compared to the LS7 in the current Corvette Z06. Of those, about twenty-five percent are common to both engines.

The end result is an engine that compared with the BMW M5 has 50 hp more at its peak and, more importantly, a much fatter torque curve. At 1,200 rpm the LSA is already producing more torque than the 383lb-ft that the M5 engine makes at its 6,100 rpm peak, and it never really lets up. It's the kind twisting force that gives you a shove in the back and just keeps pushing and pushing as long as the driver has the nerve to keep his or her right foot planted.

Filed under: Detroit Auto Show, Technology, Cadillac

2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #117
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
rehash?

http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44331
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #118
rawj7
U.S. ARMY Aviation Mech

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS 6 Speed
More more, I love storeis like thease
Old 12-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #119
rawj7
U.S. ARMY Aviation Mech

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS 6 Speed
So I guess the LSA is ALOT different from our LS3's no?
Old 12-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #120
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawj7 View Post
So I guess the LSA is ALOT different from our LS3's no?
You can examine some of the different features and similarities here"
http://archives.media.gm.com/us/powe...a/10car_us.htm

The LSA is noted across the 2nd last row from the bottom of the chart. Click on the "SS" and "S" links for an excel spreadsheet and written summary.
Do the same higher up on the chart for the LS3.

Further along on the right side of the chart, you can do the same thing in order to compare the 6L80 and 6L90 automatic transmissions and the different versions of the Tremec TR6060 used in the Camaro (M10) and the CTS-V (MG9). Interesting to compare the maximum gearbox torque for the 2 versions...

Best regards,

Elie
Old 12-28-2010, 09:04 AM   #121
ArkySS
Camaroless for now...

Drives: 2014 Blue Topaz Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
You can examine some of the different features and similarities here"
http://archives.media.gm.com/us/powe...a/10car_us.htm

The LSA is noted across the 2nd last row from the bottom of the chart. Click on the "SS" and "S" links for an excel spreadsheet and written summary.
Do the same higher up on the chart for the LS3.

Further along on the right side of the chart, you can do the same thing in order to compare the 6L80 and 6L90 automatic transmissions and the different versions of the Tremec TR6060 used in the Camaro (M10) and the CTS-V (MG9). Interesting to compare the maximum gearbox torque for the 2 versions...

Best regards,

Elie
Did anyone else notice that it says 87 octane for the LS7! I guess I need to get me a Z06 for cheaper gas.....anyone think the wife will go for that?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:11 AM   #122
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkySS View Post
Did anyone else notice that it says 87 octane for the LS7! I guess I need to get me a Z06 for cheaper gas.....anyone think the wife will go for that?
+1, The SS runs on 87 for a year now.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #123
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkySS View Post
That's funny! Guess nobody's perfect! If you look on the Excel spreadsheet though for the LS7, it does indicate "premium unleaded" as required.
LS3 shows 87-91 octane while the LSA and LS9 both indicate 91-93 octane.

Best regards,

Elie
Old 12-30-2010, 09:44 AM   #124
ArkySS
Camaroless for now...

Drives: 2014 Blue Topaz Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
+1, The SS runs on 87 for a year now.
I just can't bring myself to do it even for .20 less per gallon and 125 miles a day back and forth to work. Even with a tuner that can tune for 87....
Old 02-03-2011, 06:46 AM   #125
Diejediknight

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
My 2SS was only $38,000. and it has every option except the auto trans.
Diejediknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:07 AM   #126
Buelligun

Drives: 2SSRS manual yellow black stripes
Okay, having re-read this whole thread, the ONLY thing I am concerned with is......
Quote:

Nor is there typical supercharger whine-the high-pitched, whizzing sound emanating from a supercharged engine as the rotors spin furiously. The four-lobe rotors help lower noise radiating from the supercharger case as much as 10 decibels, and sound pressure is nearly identical whether or not the supercharger is generating boost. During CTS-V development testing on Germany's 13-mile Nurburgring race course, onlookers were convinced that the LSA had no supercharger, even when it was running at wide-open throttle.
So are you telling me I wont fekkin hear it? I have wanted a supercharged car all my life.....and the one that comes along that I want, I wont be able to tell?!!
Buelligun is offline   Reply With Quote