Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-20-2011, 07:49 AM   #15
Buelligun

Drives: 2SSRS manual yellow black stripes
Manual (stick) seems the better option for people who like to drive around corners quickly, an auto will never be able to plan for the next corner!

Last edited by Buelligun; 08-20-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Buelligun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #16
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post

I have noticed how aggressive 1st gear is on 6L90. A sticky tire is definately going to be required when grouping with 3.73s. Yeah - ZL1 is going to have a lot of mass, but all that torque is going to make it tricky to stick, stick OR auto'.
I do miss powershifting...
I would guess that the ZL1 equipped with an automatic would have 3.23s as does the auto equipped CTS-V... and you are quite correct about the steep gearing in 1st.
The V actually takes off in 2nd when in normal mode, but when put into sport or manual mode, it starts in 1st - and that is challenging to launch without a smokeshow, even with the 3.23s!

BTW, it sounds like the automatic in the ZL1 will be more than capable...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153660

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather

.....and now that we've made the announcement about the Automatic Transmission -I can safely say this: Many people who were considering the Manual Transmission may want to rethink their decision. I'm a 6-speed manual kinda guy - and I've changed my thinking when it comes to the ZL1...
Best regards,

Elie
Old 08-20-2011, 11:13 AM   #17
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Thanks garfin, hadn't seen that post. Makes me think the auto will be something completely different and maybe I'll be changing my tune. Can't wait to find out everything about the ZL1 that they've been keeping a secret!
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #18
Danko

Drives: 2010 Corvette MTX
Y'all are goofy with the anti-automatic biases. I suggest a rereading of The Emperor's New Clothes. I also prefer sticks and enjoy my MTX 2010 Corvette, but would go for an eight speed auto for sure and to say that is too many gears is just dumb. More gears give more choices and allows a smaller loss of rpm when shifted. The low first gear gives better oomph and top gear cuts the rpm lower than the stick. Go ahead and think any of that is bad but the only thing bad about the auto is the cost is higher initially and the mpg is slightly lower but that is for the six speed, not the eight, which we do not know about yet.
Danko is offline   Reply With Quote