Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-31-2010, 03:00 AM   #1
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Wow do europeans hate american cars

This 46 yr old guy on youtube cursed me out in message because I show stats that the viper ACR and Corvette ZR-1 at only $110K are beating the simular ferrari's.
He cursed me then shows lap time of a $1.9 million 599XX race car that comes on racing slicks, nurburgring laptime saying Americans can touch that. Then compares the 599GTO's stats to viper saying better power to weight ratio but we all know the viper HP is under rated they dyno at 580wHP.
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:38 AM   #2
LostInMoscow
Exiled Speed Junkie

Drives: None
After living in Europe for 7 years, I can tell you that it's a mixed bag. Some people HATE us, while others quietly admire us. I think everyone has at least some sense of nationalism about them though. Nobody likes to feel like they are looked down upon because of where they are from. Everyone wants to be proud of something about their country. In general I feel like people already have a bias about Americans from their personal exposure, whether it's via the press or just by running into tourists.

Quite frankly, I'm embarrassed by how some Americans act when they are around foreigners. It really gives the rest of us a bad name. Sometimes I feel like I'm fighting against all the stupid and arrogant things that other Americans do and say. We can really come across to others as arrogant, clueless and in general elitists. When you look at how some of us act from a European point of view, it's hard to argue with them.

I don't know how many times Americans come to Russia and say that they are surprised that nobody speaks English. Well duh! How many people in your city speak Russian? Then there are the Swedes and Swiss, which usually speak 3 or 4 languages. We don't do "international" very well as a society.

Most Americans don't realize what they look like to Europeans. The way the guy acted on youtube doesn't surprise me because it wasn't as much what you did, but the accumulation of all the stuff that he's seen and heard about Americans AND what he perceived from you. I deal with this every day. It's like walking on egg shells some days.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
GQ4Life

Well I know there are a lot ignorant Americans that have no clue what other countries are like. From my travels to quite a few different countries meeting people there. I have found most people friendly. American do have a pride.. feeling better then others that does got to seem arrogant. But when it comes to cars I seem to find that the European are very arrogant & fast to just be rude about it.

By the way what Russia like? I've never been there
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21

Last edited by GQ4Life; 12-31-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:45 AM   #4
LostInMoscow
Exiled Speed Junkie

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ4Life View Post
Well I know there are a lot ignorant Americans that have no clue what other countries are like. From my travels to quite a few different countries meeting people there. I have found most people friendly. American do have a pride.. feeling better then others that does got to seem arrogant. But when it comes to cars I seem to find that the European are very arrogant & fast to just be rude about it.

By the way what Russia like? I've never been there
I think Churchill put it best, and unless you come here, it will never make sense, "It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma" But mostly, it's like the 1930s in the US mixed with our modern world, cold winters, hot women and an anything goes attitude. That about sums it up.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
IMHO who cares what Euros think , no offense LIM.
We also sell a lot of engines over-seas so there has to be someone over there who appreciates American muscle.
We do with a V8 and less than 12k what it takes them $100,000 to do. They have some great cars, dont get me wrong and driving on old narrow roadways dictates a lot of what they see for production vehicles.
They like a high pitched 2 stroke exhaust sound we like a low deep powerful rumble. It's all on what you were raised on.
To me muscle is deep low toned, but a Ferarri and it's mini cylinders and hi rpms has a high pitched scream that does have appeal as well.
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
Steppenwolf1980

Drives: Chevy Camaro & Opel Speedster Turbo
I think I go and get my EUROPEAN popcorn out of my EUROPEAN microwave...
Steppenwolf1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
iirc the Ferrari 599 uses GM sourced magnetic shocks
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
GQ4Life

Yea but they never want to hear American parts it uses.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
It's amusing how few Europeans seem to appreciate our "slight" contribution to their freedom back in the 1940's.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
CamaroFreako
KMK

Drives: Slow V6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ4Life View Post
But when it comes to cars I seem to find that the European are very arrogant & fast to just be rude about it.
well....they do make the best cars money can buy.
CamaroFreako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:55 PM   #11
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
It's amusing how few Europeans seem to appreciate our "slight" contribution to their freedom back in the 1940's.
That's because the generation that went through all that BS is either dead or dying. Today you've got kids in Germany, France, Italy.. all of 'em.. really don't care and see the old blown out fortifications at Normandy and in Berlin as something akin to an old medieval castle. It's ancient history to them, no real value.

They only care about the here and now. About consumerism and 'me me me'. Hell our generation of Millennials are about the most narcissistic generation out there.

So for cars, they probably just see it as an extension of American greed, consumption, and general lethargy.. one more thing to be jealous and wave their e-peen around about their country which is 1/34 the size of Texas.

The world is just so self centered nowadays. It's not just cars anymore..
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:12 PM   #12
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFreako View Post
well....they do make the best cars money can buy.
Best SURE don't make them pretty. Eww. Fast or better, if it's ugly, I don't care to look at it. And 99% of European cars are pretty fuggin' ugly IMO. But if you don't normally have to pay for huge armies and defense, why not put that money into your automobiles?

And to Capt. Awesome's comment about freeing Europe in the 40s...so what? Most of those that do remember are ancient or gone. The current generations don't hold themselves to owing their own freedoms to anyone but themselves. And to a point, that's correct. It's what they DO with that freedom is what makes a difference. Of course, there are some folks that do remember and do have a soft spot in their heart for America.

Europeans have their things they do, and we have ours. We all like to think we're better than other countries to some degree, regardless of who you are or what country you originate.

There's also the slight jealously factor to a degree. Arrogance is perceived because most that see Americans as that are prejudiced, as we are of them. We don't fully understand their culture, and they don't understand ours. Some haven't tasted what it feels like to be totally free to think and say and do pretty much what you want within the law without fear of retaliation (but that might change for us). The stupid "entitlement" mentality that's been bred in America bleeds over to the tourists seemingly being stuck up/arrogant in how they act/look. At least most of us don't kill our families for dressing certain ways or kill you for not believing in what we do. So fret not, the arrogant Americans aren't a threat to Europe. I'd worry about other things.

Americans haven't had it real tough as a whole in many, many YEARS. Some European countries still have towns that were leveled in various wars with the debris still there as evidence. They have been humbled with adversity, and in some ways, are resentful toward most Americans because we haven't "paid our dues". It's just how it is. In the end, though, no matter their dislike, I think most feel they're better off that America exists than if we did not.

But, if everyone had a Camaro, we'd all be friends!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:14 PM   #13
aki

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Well said LostInMoscow. People are ignorant everywhere, Europeans appreciate balanced cars that can handle and Americans want to go straight and fast both a factor of the roads driven. I grew up here and have lived in Europe and Australia and I can tell you that what sets Americans apart in driving is NOT yielding to faster cars in the left lane. Everyone in the world respects that as a law of driving except here, and what drives me nuts is the look they give you when you finally pass. I feel that attitude of NOT moving to the right because you don't want too or cause you don't know is the attitude foreign people don't like about us.
aki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:36 PM   #14
Steppenwolf1980

Drives: Chevy Camaro & Opel Speedster Turbo
It is getting better and better, now we already included WW2 into the topic. I am still smiling, even though I am European with a (really) different culture, (absolute) freedom (without getting sued for every shit I say) and driving two cars of the GM company (okay, one is of European origin with GM as boss, but anyway).

@aki: You are absolutely right about that sticking-to-the-left-lane thing, but this is a phenomenon only seen in German speaking countries (Germany, Austria, maybe Switzerland). Unfortunately it is getting worse, this is what really drives me crazy especially because both of my cars are quite fast. You have to understand that in Germany and Austria, your car kinda shows what status you have according social things. Big (expensive) car = successful guy. Even the younger guys that don't earn much often throw all their money in their (old) cars to pimp them, also if that means to cut at food at the end of the month. Only a minority gives a shit about what ride they have, mostly retired people, moms and some kind of hippies. So if you understand what a big and/or fast car means to the typical German, you also understand why he can't bear to see anyone going faster than him. Hard to explain.
Steppenwolf1980 is offline   Reply With Quote