Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #71
Miguelito
BAD TORO

Drives: 2020Camaro ZL1
I got the message low oil pressure - stop engine again on friday...

Last time was last year in august...
Miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #72
freefallin2005

Drives: 2017 rally yellow ss
Is this issue for the 2010 ss or the 2011 also???
freefallin2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #73
joe h

Drives: victory red 2010 camaro 2ss/rs
It is an ls3 issue for the most part. Question is has this ever happened to someone not running Mobil one oil or champ filter(ac delco, Mobil one, k&n etc.)
joe h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #74
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguelito View Post
I got the message low oil pressure - stop engine again on friday...

Last time was last year in august...
Have you taken the vehicle to the dealership for diagnosis? I apologize for the inconvenience this may be causing you. If you want to PM me any details, I will definitely look into my resources to see if there are any options available to you.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #75
Miguelito
BAD TORO

Thanx but imfrom germany so i dont have warranty and i have to pay it all alone :(

The problem is that in august i got a new oil pump but this oil pump get broke again :(

I alwasy checked the oil and changed it early and always 5w30 Mobil 1

First damage was at 11000 km and now at 19500 km...my camaro is getting a nightmare :(

My dealer told me that it is only one oil pump he can buy at gm...part number is always the same, so he will repair my car with no good feeling cause it might happen again after a few weeks/months.

That sounds horrible to me :(

I think i have to buy a melling oil pump
Old 06-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #76
Miguelito
BAD TORO

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallin2005 View Post
Is this issue for the 2010 ss or the 2011 also???
I think its a generally problem cause the oil pump is the same for the 2010 modell and the 2011 modell i think
Old 06-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #77
DINGO

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
I'm back.
Well May 24th came again, Just like last year.
This time the "no oil pressure, turn car off" happened again. This time it was the oil pump that went. GM replaced the sensor also. All is good now, no engine damage.
Would like to say thanks to all the good folks at Wallace chev. This was my second visit to them, for this problem. Was treated excellent, my car was treated better. Got my car back nicely detailed.
This is something I noticed before the message. Noticed the oil pressure was about 2/3 on the gauge for a day or 2. Hot or cold it didn't move much. This might be nothing, but it's worth mentioning. Before it happens to others.
Thanks again to all that worked on my car.
Next May 24, I will make that car show. Third times the charm.
DINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #78
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DINGO View Post
I'm back.
Well May 24th came again, Just like last year.
This time the "no oil pressure, turn car off" happened again. This time it was the oil pump that went. GM replaced the sensor also. All is good now, no engine damage.
Would like to say thanks to all the good folks at Wallace chev. This was my second visit to them, for this problem. Was treated excellent, my car was treated better. Got my car back nicely detailed.
This is something I noticed before the message. Noticed the oil pressure was about 2/3 on the gauge for a day or 2. Hot or cold it didn't move much. This might be nothing, but it's worth mentioning. Before it happens to others.
Thanks again to all that worked on my car.
Next May 24, I will make that car show. Third times the charm.
That's great to hear! If you would like me to relay the information to your dealership, I can go ahead and do so. I just need your first and last name, address, phone number, VIN and mileage. I am sure they would love to hear the feedback.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-21-2012, 03:33 AM   #79
Bonemaro

Drives: 2010 RJT 1SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Bonemaro
Had the same issue here. Low Oil Pressure turn off engine. There is/was a PI on the 2010 camaro, but GM removed it from the list as i am told by the service dept. manager because it was a very rare occurance. The updated PI still has the LS3 listed on it but the '10 camaro was removed. I myself have an early build 2010, and am staring 9K in the face to replace my engine.

After i got gas i started it up and heard the loud clanking, and was in disbelief, but it went away after about 10 seconds so i drove home. I get home shut off the car, and start it back up, and it starts clanking loudly again along with the Low Oil Pressure message so i shut it back off, and had it flatbedded to the dealer. Dealer also started it up and heard the clanking, and told me that it went away and they were able to get the oil pressure up, and then it went back down again and more clanking. Yes i have a tune, and a mild cam, but that was enough for the dealer to tell me sorry we can't touch it your warranty is void because of the cam. I can accept all that, but one thing i cannot is that it's a known fact for the early '10's that there is an oil pump PROBLEM.

Mine failed me and metal shaving's were even found in the oil pan along with some wear on the crankshaft bearing(s). I guess so after 3 known engine start/running incidents now.

Having said all that my brand new LS3 crate engine arrived the other day, and i am hoping to have it ready for vacation at July's end.

-My first and last Camaro

Last edited by Bonemaro; 06-21-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Bonemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:21 AM   #80
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Why the heck would u drive it (and keep on starting it) with no oil pressure and "clunking"???
Old 06-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #81
Bonemaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
Why the heck would u drive it (and keep on starting it) with no oil pressure and "clunking"???
Started it at the gas station and had a woah wtf moment, but it went away like i said so i drove home. Just a couple of blocks. When i pulled into my driveway i tried starting it again just to see, and sure as the world is round, it made that horrible noise again confirming something was wrong. I told the dealer Do Not run it, but of course they did. Conversation went like this.

Service department manager aka SDM

SDM- Well Dave we started the car and got the oil pressure up for a bit then it went back down.

Me- You started the car?

SDM- Yes we ran it to hear it for ourselves.

Me- You started the car??

SDM- Yes and we did hear that clanking noise.

Me- You actually ran the car... really?

SDM- Yes, but we won't no for sure what's wrong with it until we tear it down.

Me-
Old 06-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #82
Bonemaro

This is the info i found, and yes my car is subject to this PI

PIP4158C: Low Oil Pressure Due To Seized Oil Pressure Relief Valve - (Dec 29, 2009)

Subject: Low Oil Pump Pressure due to Seized Oil Pressure Relief Valve

Models: 2008-2009 Buick Lacrosse, Allure (Canada Only)
2007-2010 Cadillac CTS-V, Escalade
2007-2010 Chevrolet Avalanche, Corvette, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2007-2008 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
2007-2009 Chevrolet Impala SS, Trail Blazer
2009-2010 Chevrolet Colorado
2010 Chevrolet Camaro
2007-2010 GMC Envoy, Sierra, Yukon
2009-2010 GMC Canyon
2008-2010 Hummer H2
2008-2010 H3 Alpha
2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
2008-2010 Pontiac G8 GT <~~~LOL @ the typo!
2007-2009 Saab 97x
with the Following Aluminum V8 Engine RPOs:
L76, L77, L92, L94, L99, L9H, LC9, LH6, LH8, LH9, LS2, LS3, LS4, LS7, LS9, LSA, LZ1

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:

Some customers may complain of low oil pressure, no oil pressure, and/or engine noise, which may be the result of a sticking oil pump pressure relief valve. In some instances, this may occur intermittently if the valve frees up when the engine cools down.
Recommendation/Instructions:

If SI diagnosis isolates low mechanical oil pressure at the oil filter housing and oil pressure sensor, replace the oil pump, flush the oil cooler lines (if equipped), clean the inside of the oil pan, change the oil and filter, and re-evaluate the concern.

Notice: If an engine noise is noticed after replacing the oil pump, follow the SI diagnosis and repair the engine as necessary.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information
Old 06-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #83
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
i am at the point where if i get a failed pump. parking the car right away, getting a tow. and sending it to my local shop. them i can trust not to start it. and just say put another pump in. probably will be costly though.

dealerships are just to risky for modded engines.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #84
Bonemaro

I called GM today and reported the whole incident. They were supposed to call me back between 1 and 3 pm. They did not return my call. I'll be calling them back tomorrow.