Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
Lustercross

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro l99 ss
Mods advice

I'm a newb to aftermarket parts so I apologize if I sound uneducated on this post. My dad has decided to help me buy a 2010 camaro ss automatic in a month or so, so I'm already planning on what I will do to it when I get it.

My goal with this car is to have a car that is fun to drive but that can also get good gas mileage as a daily driver when needed. I'm not trying to have the fastest car in town or anything.

What I have planned so far is:
Cold Air Inductions cai.
Oil catch can.
Ported throttle body.
The whole LG Super Pro system but not the mufflers.
Flowmaster 40 series original mufflers.
Solo J-pipes.
and a good tune.

Like how much horsepower can I realistically expect to get with this setup? What are some good, reliable brands for the ported throttle body and catch can? What is a good place to get tuned? I'm from a small town in texas called pittsburg but I would be willing to drive as far as dallas to get a high quality tune. Is there any other kind of parts that I could put that wouldn't be super expensive but would raise horsepower? I also considered a CAM but I don't want to waste all that money if the car can be fun to drive with just the setup that I have above.

I also read on this forum that it is better to get AFM turned off when the car gets tuned since the car sounds ugly with it on. What I want to know is if there is some kind of device that can turn it off and on? The reason I ask is because I would like to have it turned on, the days I work so I can save gas since almost the whole trip i'm on cruise control.

Sorry for all the questions but I just want to make sure that I get it right the first time lol. Any advice is appreciated!
Lustercross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
orangejuice
H1 OFCR

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
I would say between 40 and 50 to the wheels. This forum has a wealth of information so before making any decisions, just start reading and you will loose track of time very fast.
ZL1 Hood/Fascia
AAC Afterburners/Sidemarkers
Havoc Black Chrome
5% Tint/20% Smoked Taillights

orangejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
Lustercross

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuice View Post
I would say between 40 and 50 to the wheels. This forum has a wealth of information so before making any decisions, just start reading and you will loose track of time very fast.
I have just been lurking on this forum for this past week reading and that's how I came up with that setup. I agree with you about time flying though. I'm pretty sure that I have read hours and hours of information lol

Last edited by Lustercross; 04-08-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Long tubes with a tune is a great bolt on and will provide most of the power there. 40-50 rwhp would be a solid estimate. A cam can effect drivability but only if you go to big. You can't just turn AFM on and turn off unless you have a tuner of your own and then it's nothing you would want to do everyday. You can set it up so it only turns on while at highway speeds in 6th gear. Also, a quick flip to paddle shift mode turns afm off though.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
Lustercross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
Long tubes with a tune is a great bolt on and will provide most of the power there. 40-50 rwhp would be a solid estimate. A cam can effect drivability but only if you go to big. You can't just turn AFM on and turn off unless you have a tuner of your own and then it's nothing you would want to do everyday. You can set it up so it only turns on while at highway speeds in 6th gear. Also, a quick flip to paddle shift mode turns afm off though.
Around what speed would 6th gear come on? 40-50 rwhp sounds good to me!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
SSICKO

Drives: SSICKO
Long tube headers are the best bang for the buck in my opinion
Old 04-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
Lustercross

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK1201 View Post
Long tube headers are the best bang for the buck in my opinion
Awesome! Yeah they are included in the lg super pro system.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
Lustercross

I got another question. If only a cam that is too big affects drivability, would a stage 1 cam be good? How much more horsepower would I get out of a stage one cam?
Old 04-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
Tyler360

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
For the catch can, RX catch cans seem to be the big brand around here.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
Lustercross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler360 View Post
For the catch can, RX catch cans seem to be the big brand around here.
Okay, i'll make sure to add it to my list. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
huitt06

Drives: 2011 L99 SS
Headers and tune woke up my L99....
Old 04-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lustercross View Post
I got another question. If only a cam that is too big affects drivability, would a stage 1 cam be good? How much more horsepower would I get out of a stage one cam?
Hard question to answer about the cam. Depends a lot on how you tune the car. Cams deliver a lot of torque and add the the torque in a more useable rpm range. I recommend them highly. When choosing a cam do your homework, some/most require additional work to your valve train. When picking out the cam you kinda of need to know what you want your end result to be. Na or FI?and how much horsepower your gonna want in the end? Those answers will dictate which cam to get.
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #13
Lustercross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchlgrrsn View Post
Hard question to answer about the cam. Depends a lot on how you tune the car. Cams deliver a lot of torque and add the the torque in a more useable rpm range. I recommend them highly. When choosing a cam do your homework, some/most require additional work to your valve train. When picking out the cam you kinda of need to know what you want your end result to be. Na or FI?and how much horsepower your gonna want in the end? Those answers will dictate which cam to get.
Would a cam wear out the engine quicker? Obviously stepping on it will lol. I'm specifically talking about the cam. Or will it give the engine more longetivity?

Edit: also do you have any links to any stage 1 cams that you would recommend me to read about?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #14
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lustercross View Post
Would a cam wear out the engine quicker? Obviously stepping on it will lol. I'm specifically talking about the cam. Or will it give the engine more longetivity?

Edit: also do you have any links to any stage 1 cams that you would recommend me to read about?
Another tough question. None of this stuff helps your engine last longer, that's a fact. The rest is debatable. If you do things smart and take good care of your car, a heavily modified car can last for a long time. A cam will beat up your valve train. A cam will make your engine work harder, when things work harder the odds of things breaking go up.
As far as cam selection goes, your best bet is to find a tuner, one you like and trust. Tell him your goals and listen to his advice. When he gives you advice make sure you ask a lot of questions. This forum is good for doing your homework so you can ask the intelligent questions, it will also help you sniff out a tuner/shop that is not giving you good advice. Do not take anything on this forum as gospel, everybody has different builds. You should have a good idea of what you want then talk to tuner, then make your final decision.
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote