Drives: 17 ZL1 4300 03/16/2017
Bolt on questions

Ted,
I would like to ask a couple questions on a bolt on plan for my 2017 a10 coupe

DSX FlexFuel sensor kit

RotoFab CAI

Mamo Motorsports stock size ported throttle body

Long tube headers W/exhaust to stock muffler suitcase

Will my otherwise stock fuel system handle a 50/50 mix of 91 octane unleaded and E85 with these mods?

If there is a variation in the percentage of ethanol in the E85 how effective can the tune be or do I need to test each fueling to get to 42.5 % ethanol?

Assume MAF calibration as part of a proper tune.

What rwhp increase would you expect from these mods and a proper tune? I ask this last question because I am seeking about 70 - 90 rwhp.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:33 PM   #142
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
So I assume this wouldn’t matter as much for an auto like the A10 since it would shift exactly at 6500rpm and would shift faster?
There’s still probably a 40 whp difference at 6500. I was just curious as to maximum gains.

It does look like there could be some benefit to raising the limiter and shift points on an A10 though. That really depends (IMO) on the ratio of each gear and whether or not you’ll get more average power by shifting higher. There’s a lot to consider.

Even without tuning the trans, it looks like there’s a good chunk of power from 6000-6600. After I get to the top of 3rd, I’m at 5700+ full time. I really do think that’s a big part of how I was able to trap almost 133 mph in the weather I did. Maybe more importantly, I picked up 29.31 mph on the back half of the track. The car was moving on the big end.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:11 PM   #143
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
There’s still probably a 40 whp difference at 6500. I was just curious as to maximum gains.

It does look like there could be some benefit to raising the limiter and shift points on an A10 though. That really depends (IMO) on the ratio of each gear and whether or not you’ll get more average power by shifting higher. There’s a lot to consider.

Even without tuning the trans, it looks like there’s a good chunk of power from 6000-6600. After I get to the top of 3rd, I’m at 5700+ full time. I really do think that’s a big part of how I was able to trap almost 133 mph in the weather I did. Maybe more importantly, I picked up 29.31 mph on the back half of the track. The car was moving on the big end.
Interesting!
I wonder what Ted thinks...
Old 01-02-2019, 01:21 PM   #144
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Ted, have you had the chance to look at the tune on a 2019 Zl1?

I am wondering if you have noticed the throttle bog when starting from a stop that most of us are experiencing with our 2018s.

The 2019s seem to not have this bog and it seems like GM addresses it with the tune since the throttle bodies are the same on both years.

If you see any difference in the tunes between 2018 and 2019 can you let us know?

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:27 PM   #145
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
Ted, have you had the chance to look at the tune on a 2019 Zl1?

I am wondering if you have noticed the throttle bog when starting from a stop that most of us are experiencing with our 2018s.

The 2019s seem to not have this bog and it seems like GM addresses it with the tune since the throttle bodies are the same on both years.

If you see any difference in the tunes between 2018 and 2019 can you let us know?
I have not and there are none in the repository yet.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:33 PM   #146
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
I wonder if that was done on purpose by GM?
=Bobby
I suppose anything is possible

Quote:
So I assume this wouldn’t matter as much for an auto like the A10 since it would shift exactly at 6500rpm and would shift faster?
You can not take advantage of the power above the shift point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exgermanowner View Post
I need to ask a real ignorant question Ted.

So if I did all the bolt ons as you did and had the car tuned on 93, would I have to install another tune to take advantage of just changing over to 100 octane fuel or would the system adjust on the fly? I couldn’t afford 100 octane everyday, but have access at the road course pumps. Thanks
I ran mine on the stock tune with 100 octane, I could have dialed in a little more timing to take full advantage of the 100 but in road racing you never want anything on the edge so I chose to leave it alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018ZL1 View Post
The best thing to do would be to install the E85 sensor and that way you have the best of both worlds without having to change the tune! The computer will automatically adjust for either 93 or E85 and I do believe E85 will make as much power as 100. Now if you cant get E85 in your area that would be a problem! Makes things real simple and installing the E85 sensor was really simple!
E70 Made quite a bit more power than 100 in my testing.

Ted.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:33 PM   #147
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I have not and there are none in the repository yet.
Ok, keep an eye out for us will ya?

This throttle bog has become a real pain in the ass for some of us.

Does your car do it?

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:38 PM   #148
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanab View Post
Ted,
I would like to ask a couple questions on a bolt on plan for my 2017 a10 coupe

DSX FlexFuel sensor kit

RotoFab CAI

Mamo Motorsports stock size ported throttle body

Long tube headers W/exhaust to stock muffler suitcase

Will my otherwise stock fuel system handle a 50/50 mix of 91 octane unleaded and E85 with these mods?

If there is a variation in the percentage of ethanol in the E85 how effective can the tune be or do I need to test each fueling to get to 42.5 % ethanol?

Assume MAF calibration as part of a proper tune.

What rwhp increase would you expect from these mods and a proper tune? I ask this last question because I am seeking about 70 - 90 rwhp.
The answers to your question are in my testing, I ran as much as E70 and we are just starting to see the low side fuel pump pressure starting to trail off so a Fuel pump voltage booster is next.

Stock cars on pump fuel are coming in around 540 RWHP mine put down 668 RWHP still no pulley changes.

Ted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post

Yes to take advantage of the big gain above 6K you would benefit from higher shift points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
Ok, keep an eye out for us will ya?

This throttle bog has become a real pain in the ass for some of us.

Does your car do it?
Mine does not do anything described, if you dump the clutch on any car you can stall it or bog it, smooth clutch engagement is the key.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:48 PM   #149
Indyblue98
2012 RS 2ss

Drives: 2018 ZL1 2012 2SS WhippleCharged
Can you give further explanation on the Tuning after a Flex fuel sensor is added ?
Example 91 octane is the only Premium fuel here ,
So you tune for 91 and if I add E85 to the tank
Does the Sensor / Tune self adjust ?
Or do I need a E85 = E70 mix tune ?
Thanks
Old 01-04-2019, 12:07 AM   #150
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Yes to take advantage of the big gain above 6K you would benefit from higher shift points.
Quote:
You can not take advantage of the power above the shift point.
Ted.
Just to avoid any confusion with these two statements I guess you simply mean that until you change the TCM to a higher shift point, the power above the shift point is obviously useless.

If so where do you typically change the shift point to? Is there a maximum rpm and/or is it dependent to the mods and hence what rpm the peak power is at?
Old 01-04-2019, 07:34 AM   #151
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyblue98 View Post
Can you give further explanation on the Tuning after a Flex fuel sensor is added ?
Example 91 octane is the only Premium fuel here ,
So you tune for 91 and if I add E85 to the tank
Does the Sensor / Tune self adjust ?
Or do I need a E85 = E70 mix tune ?
Thanks
What we are doing by adding the sensor and tuning the ECM is a true flex fuel conversion so when you go to the pump you can select what ever fuel you feel like running and the car will self tune for it.

Quote:
Just to avoid any confusion with these two statements I guess you simply mean that until you change the TCM to a higher shift point, the power above the shift point is obviously useless.

If so where do you typically change the shift point to? Is there a maximum rpm and/or is it dependent to the mods and hence what rpm the peak power is at?
Correct
Old 01-04-2019, 09:59 PM   #152
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Correct
Thanks for clarifying that

And by changing the TCM how many rpm higher than the stock shift point can/would you go with the mods (intake, ECM tune and headers) you did?
6650 rpm where your rev limiter kicked in? Or even higher?
Just curious as to how much of that elongated and increased power curve we can take advantage of
Old 02-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #153
JANNETTYRACING

Lots of great info here to share.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:27 AM   #154
2ltrgsr
AXLERODZL1

Drives: 2019 Riverside blue ZL1 Camaro
How much power can you pick up with the Cat's deleted? Just picked up some NEP Cat delete pipes.
2ltrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote