Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-03-2019, 08:23 PM   #1
Midlifejohnny

Drives: Cadillac Escalade
Quite a few former Z06 owners on the site.

Please share your experiences. Is the Camaro as good? Feel as fast ? Biggest differences between the two. If given the choice would you trade your ZL1 for a Z06 now? . So curious. Thank in advance
Midlifejohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:43 AM   #2
greaser2

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1 KG
I have seen a few do this but I had a 2014 3LT Corvette before my 17 ZL1. Other then the LT4 and A10, I thought the corvette was better. Interested in why a ZL1 would be preferred over the Z06 (A10 maybe).
greaser2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:50 AM   #3
Fredtp

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10 Black Mosaic
I had two Corvettes before my ZL1, 2005 LT3 with Kooks LT and Corsa and tune, and a 2017 LT3 with TM TB. The Camaro rides better and handles just as good or better and the passenger has more leg room. I have no regrets at all about buying one and will not go back to a Vette.
You can not beat the ZL1 for the amount you pay for it and what you get.
This is just my opinion.

Last edited by Fredtp; 01-04-2019 at 08:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:22 AM   #4
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
I own both concurrently. The Z06 does everything better. However the ZL1 is cheaper and the A10 is formidably better than the A8. I don't buy the magazine hype...I've been on a track with my Z06 and two others, they're incredibly stable and never had the twitchy/"you're going to die" feeling that certain magazines proclaim. I certainly wouldn't say the ZL1 handles the power better. If there's any specific things you want to know, shoot.

Biggest difference between the two is the ZL1 feels like a really fast car. The Z06 feels like a rocket. When I drive both back to back, you immediately feel how the Vette is just wrapped around you, you're in the center, you can see more of the road, the car feels lighter, nimbler and smaller - and of course faster. The ZL1 feels brutish, defies logic on how well it handles for it's size and weight, it's also very fast and the A10 is a work of art.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:50 AM   #5
tman0327

Drives: 1981 Camaro Z28/1979 Camaro +5more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
I own both concurrently. The Z06 does everything better. However the ZL1 is cheaper and the A10 is formidably better than the A8. I don't buy the magazine hype...I've been on a track with my Z06 and two others, they're incredibly stable and never had the twitchy/"you're going to die" feeling that certain magazines proclaim. I certainly wouldn't say the ZL1 handles the power better. If there's any specific things you want to know, shoot.

Biggest difference between the two is the ZL1 feels like a really fast car. The Z06 feels like a rocket. When I drive both back to back, you immediately feel how the Vette is just wrapped around you, you're in the center, you can see more of the road, the car feels lighter, nimbler and smaller - and of course faster. The ZL1 feels brutish, defies logic on how well it handles for it's size and weight, it's also very fast and the A10 is a work of art.

I agree with this assessment, 100%
tman0327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:13 PM   #6
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Love the Z06, just couldnt afford that amount of coin.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #7
Indyblue98
2012 RS 2ss

Drives: 2018 ZL1 2012 2SS WhippleCharged
Bought New 2016 Z06 Vert 3LZ Package .
Took the Spring Mountain Driving School that comes with the Corvettes .
It was a Blast .
There were only a few Students driving the Z06 cars that could hang with the Instructors who were in the SS Camaro 460 HP, I was not one.

Corvette is lighter / Faster .
I personally ran 11.2 at 123 1/4 in the Z06
so far 11.6 at 122 in the ZL1
0-60 Z06 did 3.2-3.4 regularly
ZL1 so far 3.6 , but only a couple tries to date.
The braking on the Z06 was mind-blowing great.
Cornering and transition is crisper in the Z06
Corvette has front Camera parking assist that I miss.
The info screen tilts on the Vette.
After 2 years in the Z06 , Dealer gave me $11,000 back and a New ZL1 with a 70,000 MSRP.
So resale Vette wins.

I like the Zl1 Recaro seating better than the Non Comp Corvette seats.
The exhaust note is better to me on the ZL1
Tight spot / Parking doesn't do the herky jerky effect of the Vette.
ZL1 has some wheel hop on full throttle , Corvette was grab and go.
Rear Visibility , well Vert vs Coupe not fair , but ZL1 wins.
A10 transmission seems to pick the right gear more often.
Who the hell decided to put the window controls almost under your elbow.
Doors are huge , always have been , but on the ZL1 I have to use the easy exit mode on the seats to get out , not needed on my 2012 SS .

All said either car is a blast to own / drive .
Having 6 different Corvettes ,4 Brand New ,thru the years and at least a dozen Z28 Trans Ams and SS Camaros .
I feel like a slight advantage to the ZL1 as a street driven car ,
Track time = Z06 for the win.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:38 PM   #8
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyblue98 View Post
I like the Zl1 Recaro seating better than the Non Comp Corvette seats.
Seats are better!

I would actually say the ZL1 seats are better than both the regular and competition seats in the Z06.

Z06 Competition seats look better but were very uncomfortable for me.
ZL1 seats are comfortable and pretty well bolstered.

For reference though, I'm 6'4 220lbs.

If you're tall-ish like me, the ZL1 has much better legroom up front.
And of course infinitely better legroom in back.

Another win for the Z06 though is that you can get the Z07 package and still have an automatic if you're into that plus you don't sacrifice ride quality w/ Z07 (at least not much).

I would vote Z06 if you don't need a back seat.

However, if you don't mind a manual and a bit rougher ride and you do want a back seat, the ZL1 1LE (IMO) handles as well as my Z06 and feels more responsive. Just throwing it out there.

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:41 PM   #9
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Oh yeah -- I'll also add...

Having owned a 2017 Grand Sport & 2017 Z06 w/ Z07 & 2018 ZL1 1LE I would also suggest you consider a Grand Sport.

Unless burnouts are your thing, a Grand Sport is more nimble than the Z06, less cooling issues on the track and looks just as stunning and it typically runs $15k less.

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:37 PM   #10
1roadking

Drives: 2017 ZL1 silver A10
For me it’s easy, I was going to buy a Z06 and it is to narrow for big boys. I’m 6ft 325lbs and my nuts and shoulders get crushed. I’m a big guy when I’m thin as well and the Camaro fits a full size adult man much better. I have a Raptor and an Escalade as well and I fit in my Camaro as comfortably as both. It’s wide inside and has really good leg and head room for a sports car. Getting in and out is definitely not as easy as the trucks though lol. The ground clearance difference is also a benefit.
1roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:13 PM   #11
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post

The Z06 is a tight squeeze & like randy said it will give you a sweaty eyebrow. There is one crucial fact about the Z06. To get magnetic ride you have to opt for ceramic brakes. What a rip off. Ride quality without it is 💩
Old 01-04-2019, 06:22 PM   #12
Stealth7

Drives: Gen V Viper GTS
ZL1 corrected many Corvette Z06 Design and cooling issues, and also has more utility. For me, I also love the look of ZL1 and the A10 over the Z and the A8. ZL1 Hands down, and with a bargain price to boot!
Stealth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:13 PM   #13
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
And we're starting to see where all Z06 vs ZL1 discussions go - to practicality, price, interior size, and other details. So, it REALLY depends on what you are looking for or what you need out of a car. There's circumstances that make total sense for one and no sense for the other and vice versa. If you want the best performance and can fit in the Z06, IMO it's a no brainer if you have the coin. There's literally a SLEW of reasons you might want one over the other. Everybody's different. Before I try to preemptively list a bunch of them and still miss some, it's best to ask about specific areas. Me personally, I care a lot about looks and performance - so I will tend to give most things pertaining to those factors. Others care about comfort, interior space, visibility and ride height - putting performance on the back burner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtag View Post
The Z06 is a tight squeeze & like randy said it will give you a sweaty eyebrow. There is one crucial fact about the Z06. To get magnetic ride you have to opt for ceramic brakes. What a rip off. Ride quality without it is ��
What? All Z06s have magnetic ride. Z07s have a different settings and shocks. That's it. On base Stingrays where the Mag Ride is optional, the ride is absolutely fine at the worst.

Yes, the Z06 is a tighter fit. Probably 80%-90% of buyers out there would fit though.

I have zero proof that the Z06 will give you a sweaty eyebrow. As I said, I've pushed 3 different Z06s on a road course and never thought it was a handful. I've spoken with tons of owners, driving instructors, driving schools/experiences, and many forum posts from track rats that all agree with me. I'm used to cars with this kind of power on the road course and used to race open wheel race cars. I by no means have as much experience as Randy and I'm not calling him a liar. It could have been the press car they had or perhaps updates since then have changed things or maybe it's only found when it's pushed WAY past what 99%+ of owners would be capable of. Certainly wouldn't be found by you or I.

Put it to you this way, my Z06 was just as solid on the track as a GT3 and a 458 that I drove on the same day. Obviously, both those cars are engineered better and have definite upgrades in certain areas, but I never felt anymore scared in the Z06 than I did in the GT3 and that says something.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:05 PM   #14
Zl1_Stone

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10 Summit white
There's no doubt the Z06 is a better car all around. The Z06 was my dream car until it came time to purchase and I realized when I sat in the car that me being 6'4" and 260lbs we're not a good combo. That's why I went with the Zl1 and I don't feel like I settled for less of a car because the ZL1 is a monster compared to majority of cars on the road.
Zl1_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote