Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-23-2019, 02:49 PM   #1
Lynix

Drives: 2020 3LT Shock and Steel Edition
Special Edition Camaros

Hey guys I got a question. How often does Chevy release special editions for the Camaro? I know they did the Fifty in 2017 and they had the redline I think for a few years, and they’ve made different variations of a hot wheels edition. I know they've had the transformers one in the past. And right now I don’t believe they have any for 19s. What are some other special editions they’ve released in the past and any others they might release in the future. I’m looking forward to ordering a 2020my and I would love to have some sort of special edition even if it is just a few extra stickers or labels.
Lynix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:13 PM   #2
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
Dusk in 2013, I believe as well as Hot Wheels. 50th anniversary was actually 44th. I don't get why not many count the discontinuation and no Camaro for 2003- 2009? Mustang had a 55th recently and all years were in production.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:39 PM   #3
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
i blame chevy's reality distortion field tech. Same thing that has them setting the vin body id to F instead of A or Z for 5th gen...and what was responsible for a 70k dollar Z28 etc.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:08 PM   #4
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18LTLoveIt View Post
Dusk in 2013, I believe as well as Hot Wheels. 50th anniversary was actually 44th. I don't get why not many count the discontinuation and no Camaro for 2003- 2009? Mustang had a 55th recently and all years were in production.
because it's the anniversary of the start of the Camaro, not an annual birthday.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:26 PM   #5
cellsafemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
because it's the anniversary of the start of the Camaro, not an annual birthday.
yea..but the whole point of celebrating an anniversary of a car is that it's X number of years that the car has been sold for. You wouldn't celebrate a car that was sold for 1 year in 1969 and 1 year in 2019 and say it's the 50th anniversary edition unless you're Chevy.

The problem is, the 5th and 6th gen camaros have absolutely nothing to do with camaro's and is basically a brand new line of car that chevy just stole the recognition of the Camaro to jumpstart rather than create recognition from the ground-up. I can get behind gradual evolution and saying a car in 2019 is the same car as it's namesake from 40 years ago but when you take a decade off and produce something wholly new and not building off of anything from the previous car ...it's a new - different car.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:01 PM   #6
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
"the 5th and 6th gen camaro's have nothing to do with camaro's"

Old 04-23-2019, 05:08 PM   #7
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
yea..but the whole point of celebrating an anniversary of a car is that it's X number of years that the car has been sold for. You wouldn't celebrate a car that was sold for 1 year in 1969 and 1 year in 2019 and say it's the 50th anniversary edition unless you're Chevy.
I can not think of any other thing or event you might celebrate the anniversary of which you would apply that logic to.

Quote:
The problem is, the 5th and 6th gen camaros have absolutely nothing to do with camaro's and is basically a brand new line of car that chevy just stole the recognition of the Camaro to jumpstart rather than create recognition from the ground-up. I can get behind gradual evolution and saying a car in 2019 is the same car as it's namesake from 40 years ago but when you take a decade off and produce something wholly new and not building off of anything from the previous car ...it's a new - different car.
There is no design rule saying a new generation car must be a direct evolutionary descendant of the generations before it to deserve the same name as that on those other generations'. The pony car segment has a pretty well defined set of common design criteria (none of which include a slavish devotion to ancient platforms or whatever else you think think you think the 5th+ gen Camaros are imposters for not sharing with earlier ones) and the latest Camaros fit those criteria perfectly. They're also pony cars built by Chevrolet, and for 50+ years Chevy's pony car has been the Camaro, so there's no reason to not call these vehicles Camaros.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:23 PM   #8
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
2015 had the Green Flash. I named that one.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:18 PM   #9
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
every generation of camaro was completely different. just because the 5th and 6th are not called F body doesn't mean they are not a Camaro. With that logic the 1st gen would be the only camaro. one thing they all have in common is that they were all 2 door 4 seat cars that came with a V8 with sub frames. Thats what a pony car is. Thats what makes them all a Camaro.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:38 AM   #10
cellsafemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 View Post
I can not think of any other thing or event you might celebrate the anniversary of which you would apply that logic to.
the most basic anniversary is your birthday, which you only generally celebrate when you're alive. Once you die, you stop gaining years. Only ridiculous people celebrate your 100th birthday when you died at 80. Businesses celebrate their important anniversaries based on continuous years of existing. The only reason why the camaro's is weird is because they resurrected the name after being dead and gone and are pretending like it's the same. Instead of resetting the clock because it's completely new.

Quote:
There is no design rule saying a new generation car must be a direct evolutionary descendant of the generations before it to deserve the same name as that on those other generations'. The pony car segment has a pretty well defined set of common design criteria (none of which include a slavish devotion to ancient platforms or whatever else you think think you think the 5th+ gen Camaros are imposters for not sharing with earlier ones) and the latest Camaros fit those criteria perfectly. They're also pony cars built by Chevrolet, and for 50+ years Chevy's pony car has been the Camaro, so there's no reason to not call these vehicles Camaros.
most people wouldn't even classify this car as a "pony car" except for the lack of one existing otherwise. It's a large sports car if you forget about the name. Is the BMW M4 a pony car? Really the only main difference between the two is the class of the interior and the type of buyer - performance wise they're extremely comparable. Not something you would be saying of the camaro of yesteryear.

It can be argued forever, and I'm not saying I dont love what I drive. But I think you'd have to be blind to consider what's being called the camaro post 2010 as a camaro in anything but the name. Chevy wanted to play it smart and bank on existing branding recognition vs risk having to create a brand from nothing in a market that pretty much requires an existing fanbase to survive. Continuing it's birthday as if it was sleeping for 10 years instead of non-existent is ...odd.

The camaro as it's currently known is about 9 years old. The camaro that came before that should be considered a completely different car that died in 2002. Celebrating just the name is meaningless to me.

Then again, I think rooting for specific pro sports teams is equally meaningless when the only thing that's even semi-constant is the name ....the players dont come from the city the team is housed in and get traded between them at the highest bidder, the team sometimes doesn't even play in the city they're named after or sometimes switch cities depending on who gives them more a better deal, and we're supposed to feel a connection to "our team"? it all wreaks of mindless marketing drivel. So ...that's where my view on it comes from... feel free to ignore it I wouldn't trade a 6th gen camaro for any of my previous generation camaros I've had. But i'd never consider it in the same family as them. It's in a better, different class altogether.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:47 AM   #11
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:

So if I forget our anniversay this year and don't celebrate, does next year only count as my first anniversary?
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:54 AM   #12
cellsafemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
So if I forget our anniversay this year and don't celebrate, does next year only count as my first anniversary?
a proper analogy would be if you got divorced for 10 years and then continued your anniversary if you married someone different from the time you were first married just because you have the same last name still.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:49 AM   #13
karmatourer
STD free

Drives: 2018 Bright Yellow LGX M6 RS NPP
Quote:
the most basic anniversary is your birthday, which you only generally celebrate when you're alive. Once you die, you stop gaining years. Only ridiculous people celebrate your 100th birthday when you died at 80. Businesses celebrate their important anniversaries based on continuous years of existing. The only reason why the camaro's is weird is because they resurrected the name after being dead and gone and are pretending like it's the same. Instead of resetting the clock because it's completely new.

most people wouldn't even classify this car as a "pony car" except for the lack of one existing otherwise. It's a large sports car if you forget about the name. Is the BMW M4 a pony car? Really the only main difference between the two is the class of the interior and the type of buyer - performance wise they're extremely comparable. Not something you would be saying of the camaro of yesteryear.

It can be argued forever, and I'm not saying I dont love what I drive. But I think you'd have to be blind to consider what's being called the camaro post 2010 as a camaro in anything but the name. Chevy wanted to play it smart and bank on existing branding recognition vs risk having to create a brand from nothing in a market that pretty much requires an existing fanbase to survive. Continuing it's birthday as if it was sleeping for 10 years instead of non-existent is ...odd.

The camaro as it's currently known is about 9 years old. The camaro that came before that should be considered a completely different car that died in 2002. Celebrating just the name is meaningless to me.

Then again, I think rooting for specific pro sports teams is equally meaningless when the only thing that's even semi-constant is the name ....the players dont come from the city the team is housed in and get traded between them at the highest bidder, the team sometimes doesn't even play in the city they're named after or sometimes switch cities depending on who gives them more a better deal, and we're supposed to feel a connection to "our team"? it all wreaks of mindless marketing drivel. So ...that's where my view on it comes from... feel free to ignore it I wouldn't trade a 6th gen camaro for any of my previous generation camaros I've had. But i'd never consider it in the same family as them. It's in a better, different class altogether.
Just stop already! All you're doing is trying to wind people up and argue for the sake of arguing.
karmatourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:15 AM   #14
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
the most basic anniversary is your birthday, which you only generally celebrate when you're alive. Once you die, you stop gaining years. Only ridiculous people celebrate your 100th birthday when you died at 80.
Or loved ones seeking to honor the births of those who have passed on before us. If that's ridiculous, so be it. I'll bet those who do that are more fun at parties.

Quote:
Long hood, short rear deck, engine (with V8 option) in the front, drive wheels in the back, 2+2 seating inside, American - this is and always has been the pony car formula, and the latest Camaro fits it perfectly. In terms of length and wheelbase the 6th gen is closer to the 1st gen than the 4th gen was (width and height are about the same), so the F bodies in the end shared that "large sports car" trait. The Camaro also compares very well with the performance of the uninterrupted Ford Mustang, should it have been detuned to compare poorly against its closest competitor just to widen the gap between it and the BMW?

Quote:
I recommend some adhesive remover, then, to get rid of the letters/badges on the fender & be consistent. On the plus side, with an LT, there's no SS badge on the front grille to find a way to hide.

Quote:
I think rooting for specific pro sports teams is equally meaningless when the only thing that's even semi-constant is the name ....the players dont come from the city the team is housed in and get traded between them at the highest bidder, the team sometimes doesn't even play in the city they're named after or sometimes switch cities depending on who gives them more a better deal, and we're supposed to feel a connection to "our team"? it all wreaks of mindless marketing drivel.
Keep that in mind the next time you sign your last name. How many generations have come and gone since the person whi conjured up that string of letters drew breath? How diluted is your genetic code compared to that person's? For all you know your ancestors might have been adopted at some point in between and you don't even share that tiny much diluted bit of commonality.

Me, I'd say tradition and that tiny diluted bit of commonality ARE important enough to keep on honoring the name, but you don't seem to go for that sort of thing.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote