#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-15-2019, 04:30 PM   #1
Indyblue98
2012 RS 2ss

Drives: 2018 ZL1 2012 2SS WhippleCharged
X-Pipe only question

I realize the LT4 is a good sounding engine , from outside the car.
Would like a better sound inside the car ,, where I hear it.
Have a LS with a Whipple on my 2012 , putting a corsa exhaust on make the car sound great inside and out.
Bought a new 2016 Z06 and Hated the interior sound, adding the Corsa X-Pipe only made it louder not better inside.
Upgraded to the ZL1 last year and have the same issue .
Just doesn't sound good inside .
Would like to know if the X-pipe changes/improves the interior sound on the ZL1 Coupe?
Old 11-15-2019, 04:42 PM   #2
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Secondary Cat Deletes and replacing the pinched pipes next to the diff with some 3' SS pipes is what you need. All told you can expect to pay less than $250 for this mod at a muffler shop.

Sounds amazing with so many pops and crackles. Don't fork out funds unnecessarily for the Xpipe till you've experienced this setup.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:46 PM   #3
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
Secondary Cat Deletes and replacing the pinched pipes next to the diff with some 3' SS pipes is what you need. All told you can expect to pay less than $250 for this mod at a muffler shop.

Sounds amazing with so many pops and crackles. Don't fork out funds unnecessarily for the Xpipe till you've experienced this setup.
Have any video clips of that set up?
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:57 PM   #4
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
I'm not sure if anything in the aftermarket is going to make you happy, I'm afraid. The LT4 has a pretty signature sound. I've never heard any of one of them sound THAT different from another car despite exhaust setup variances. Deleting secondary cats and pinched section is going to give you a modest gain in volume and will add some rasp to the exhaust.

If you want to go with a true exhaust, get a AWE Touring non-Resonated cat-back with PLPs or Corsa cat-back, either Xtreme or Xtreme+. Both will be much deeper and more aggressive than the stock exhaust, as well as being louder. Corsa cruises as quiet or quieter than stock exhaust in track mode, not enough first person experience with the AWE to give you an accurate comparison on cruise.

Chopping up the factory exhaust isn't going to make you any happier IMO. Why do you think adding the same mods to the same engine that you didn't like with the C7 Z06 is going to be any different? The problem is with the factory mufflers. They lend themselves to being a little tinny, a little raspy, and making more of a "blat" sound than a "braaap" of a Corsa or AWE etc.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:59 AM   #5
2ltrgsr
AXLERODZL1

Drives: 2019 Riverside blue ZL1 Camaro
Vibrant resonators will help if you go the 3in x-pipe route
103 TB
Lingenfelter Lower Pulley(9.17)
1 7/8 ARH headers and Exhaust
Meth injection(single nozzle)

733whp/788tq
2ltrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:05 AM   #6
Cleancoupe

Drives: 18 ZL1 1LE
I just put a Awe touring non resonated with performance link pipes on my car & it sounds incredible. Cold start ups are nasty & it screams at wot. It has a nice tone to it & you can def tell there is an exhaust system on the car from inside the car. It’s pretty tame at cruising speed, but if you get on it, she opens up
Cleancoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:13 PM   #7
Indyblue98
2012 RS 2ss

Drives: 2018 ZL1 2012 2SS WhippleCharged
Thanks for the responses.
It was wishful thinking
Indyblue98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:43 PM   #8
Zigg L1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Garnet Red Tintcoat A10
I agree just adding the xpipe will not give you a good sound. Exhaust is always a personal preference. I ended up with the Borla Stype catback and the Borla resonator with some custom fabrication. Connected to Kooks headers with high flow cats. IMO it sounds great and keep the NPP. Nice deep rumble. Loud and mean at WOT. Tame at cruising and no drone
Zigg L1 is offline   Reply With Quote