Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-31-2009, 03:54 PM   #15
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Transformer
I'd like a mod to move this to the "Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions" area... thanks
2SS/RS Transformers Special Edition: Quick Time Performance Electric Cutouts, Custom Exterior Sound Effects (Transforming) by remote or button, Yellow autobot on windshield, Darkened tail and marker lights, Yellow fogs and signals (more yellow for signals), Dash Ambient Lighting, Black Painted Suitcase Mufflers, Autobot bowties and steering wheel, yellow leather stitching, yellow SS symbol on headrests, blacked out back trunk lid, blacked out brake light trim.
Pics of my 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
wrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:44 PM   #16
droidboy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS (soon!)
WREK.....you and I gotta talk.

I have those exact same stuff hanging from the rear view mirror, and the same license plate on order. Good thing we don't live too near each other.

I love the yellow man, looks awesome.

Gregg
Old 11-01-2009, 12:07 PM   #17
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidboy View Post
WREK.....you and I gotta talk.

I have those exact same stuff hanging from the rear view mirror, and the same license plate on order. Good thing we don't live too near each other.

I love the yellow man, looks awesome.

Gregg
Lol, are you copying me? Actually I think our cars are likely going to all be very similar. At least those of us going for the Bumblebee tribute look. I was only going to hang the mirror items for shows but what the heck.

I also have a couple of Bumblebee toys in the trunk for shows... you never know when a show will break out
2SS/RS Transformers Special Edition: Quick Time Performance Electric Cutouts, Custom Exterior Sound Effects (Transforming) by remote or button, Yellow autobot on windshield, Darkened tail and marker lights, Yellow fogs and signals (more yellow for signals), Dash Ambient Lighting, Black Painted Suitcase Mufflers, Autobot bowties and steering wheel, yellow leather stitching, yellow SS symbol on headrests, blacked out back trunk lid, blacked out brake light trim.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:06 PM   #18
CiscoBee
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro Rally Yellow 2LT
Nice mod. Looks great!!
CiscoBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #19
LS/V6

Drives: 2SS\RS 1LE
Quote:
that IS cool !
X2.. I have cloth seats im guessing you cant do it only leather???
Old 11-02-2009, 07:23 AM   #20
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

I would not try this on cloth, no. I can't see any way to keep the dye or paint off the cloth, enough would bleed over just from the threads I think.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:23 AM   #21
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Another note, I did the steering wheel stitching also and none has come off on my hands yet.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #22
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Update, the yellow watercolor is already fading. If you do this mod, use the oil paints.

The fading is just on the damn steering wheel where it's a different type of thread. Oil based or something else needs to be applied to the wheel. The water based doesn't seem to stick to the thread.

Last edited by wrek; 11-09-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #23
rockyz1980
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: SS/RS RallyYellow/BlackStripes
looks awesome.
rockyz1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:19 AM   #24
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Cool

Update!

What I used was a professional artist water based paint thinned with water. The seats are still fine but the steering wheel has issues. It appears the steering wheel is using a different type of thread and of course, it gets a lot of touching and rubbing so the yellow has worn after a year.

What I would now suggest is an oil based paint (or perhaps RIT DYE) thinned with mineral spirit (be careful though it could loosen any glues or adhesives on the wheel). Application is the same, using a small toothpick, tiny brush, coffee stirring straw or similar. Oil paint stains instantly so it's a tedious process but only touch the threads.

Anyway, the seat threads are still nice and yellow after a year. The steering wheel has some worn spots where the yellow is faded but not completely gone.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #25
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Very nice job! Looks really good!!
Old 12-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #26
xpanda305x
Banned

Drives: Dark Knight
would it work on cloth seats?
xpanda305x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:25 PM   #27
Mike2ss
Airborne Pathfinder

Drives: Camaro ZL575
I have done this to my car, started with the shifter and steering wheel, I bought the acrylic paint stick from Hobby Lobby, worked real well but the point is really thick so someone on here said to try the sharpie and I did, worked fantastic and I bought the regular and fine points to get in the threads.

I haven't done the seats yet but plan on doing them soon.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:51 PM   #28
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpanda305x View Post
would it work on cloth seats?
I would think the paint would absorb into the cloth seat the same way it does into the cloth threads, so I'd have to say no on this one.