Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
Lonny Doyle
Aerospace Machinist

Drives: 2012 Victory Red ZL1 w/ ECF
I wonder why the GT500 is so over priced!

As more information comes out about the GT500, it appears that all they have done is taken a Mustang and put bigger brakes, bigger tires and added a supercharger.

Now all of the Ford fans want to point out how much faster it is in the quarter mile than a ZL1 and they don't want to consider the handling aspects of a Zl1 as a road course car.

I believe I could take a factory stock 2013 mustang GT, base price $30,300

Add:

Supercharger kit $7000

Slicks and Skinnies $1200

And turn a way better 1/4 mile time than the GT500 and I would have only spent $38,500.

Now what would it take to get a GT500 to beat a ZL1 around a road course.

Ford added $8085.00 worth of packages and got spanked by heavier car with less horse power.

If GM ups the ZL1 horse power in 2014 then Ford had better come back with a GT500 with better suspension and a lower price.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Which road course did the zl1 spank the gt500 on?
Old 06-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Doyle View Post
As more information comes out about the GT500, it appears that all they have done is taken a Mustang and put bigger brakes, bigger tires and added a supercharger.

Now all of the Ford fans want to point out how much faster it is in the quarter mile than a ZL1 and they don't want to consider the handling aspects of a Zl1 as a road course car.

Add:

Supercharger kit $7000

And turn a way better 1/4 mile time than the GT500 and I would have only spent $38,500.

Ford added $8085.00 worth of packages and got spanked by heavier car with less horse power.

If GM ups the ZL1 horse power in 2014 then Ford had better come back with a GT500 with better suspension and a lower price.
I was gonna say the Mustang GT has the 5.0 and the 2012 GT500 has the 5.4, which was bumped to 5.8 for 2013, but I see your point. Very good analogy.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
oortcloud

Drives: 2013 ZL1 ordered
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
Which road course did the zl1 spank the gt500 on?
Does the gt500 do road courses? Sorry, I couldn't resist. But seriously, has anyone released times of the gt500 on a road course? I'm sure it will put up good times, but I'm curious like everyone else.

Someone mentioned one about a gt500 vert on VIR. That's the only one I've heard about.

(Edit: Sorry to make the off topic post, but I couldn't help myself.)
Old 06-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
nanokpsi

Drives: Ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by oortcloud View Post
Does the gt500 do road courses? Sorry, I couldn't resist. But seriously, has anyone released times of the gt500 on a road course? I'm sure it will put up good times, but I'm curious like everyone else.

Someone mentioned one about a gt500 vert on VIR. That's the only one I've heard about.
The Vert they are referring to was run on Sebring, where it was six seconds faster than a 2011PP Coupe. The 2013 coupe is even faster.

...and I hope the OP is kidding...
Old 06-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
evolve

Drives: 03 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by oortcloud View Post

(Edit: Sorry to make the off topic post, but I couldn't help myself.)
Ive seen the video. It was passing "track made" cars like they were standing still. BUT, there have been no direct tests of it and the ZL1, so were back at square 1.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Lol wow. If GT500 is over priced I don't know what the ZL1 is. Every single argument used by the OP against the Shelby can be used against the ZL1 as well. Except you don't get forged internals with it.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #8
2010redcamaro

Drives: camaro jeep srt8 2010 gtr
i bet if the zl1 and the gt500 had the same horsepower the gt would take it in handling too. some zl1s are putting down high 400s to the ground while a stock gt has put down 603. with that much power and it wasnt that far off from the zl1 is impressive. how many people actually buy a 500hp car because it handles well on a track that they will probably never drive on? IMHO the " it doesnt handle good" or " its overpriced" are from people that own or want a zl1 and are upset because ford made a car that you wouldnt want to try at any drag strip or on the highway
Old 06-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...ison-test.html

This is the only head to head comparison I've seen where they tested the car on a twisty road (not sure if it was a course, or back roads). They even swapped drivers to keep it fair.

I think this part of the article sums up the domination by the Camaro the best.

Nothing is more humbling than watching a car with 100 fewer horses and the extra weight of an NFL running back disappear into the distance on a back road. But that's exactly what happened when we brought the two cars together to establish which is the best-driving pony car ever. The answer, as improbable as it seemed, was as obvious as the Camaro's shrinking taillights.

Wait. Isn't this a Camaro? Yes, yes it is. The best Camaro ever.

The angriest Mustang in history, the car that had face-punched the ZL1 for months at auto shows and in Web forums was being systematically annihilated by that exact car. Every corner was another opportunity for the Camaro to drop trou and wave its giant bowtie-emblazoned butt in the GT500's face.

Driver swaps ensued to ensure impartiality, but a repeat performance sealed the deal. There wasn't anything to do but appreciate the stunning piece of work that is the 2012 Chevy Camaro ZL1. As one tester bluntly put it, "This might just be the best performance car General Motors has ever produced." A bold statement, for sure. But one for which there's much support.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #10
collins motorsport

Drives: 1967 SS 785hp pro touring, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010redcamaro View Post
i bet if the zl1 and the gt500 had the same horsepower the gt would take it in handling too. some zl1s are putting down high 400s to the ground while a stock gt has put down 603. with that much power and it wasnt that far off from the zl1 is impressive. how many people actually buy a 500hp car because it handles well on a track that they will probably never drive on? IMHO the " it doesnt handle good" or " its overpriced" are from people that own or want a zl1 and are upset because ford made a car that you wouldnt want to try at any drag strip or on the highway
I've tried every roush saleen or shelby I've came across so....
Old 06-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
HopeRidesAlone

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Doyle View Post

Add:

Supercharger kit $7000

Just saying you could do the same this with an SS take the ss throw and extra 10 grand into and be faster than a ZL1.

2010 Black 2SS/RS - Stainless powers 1 7/8 LT headers, cold air inductions cai, Tuned by dynosteve, Feesler side skirt, Feesler Spoiler, Feesler carbon fiber bowties, H&R Lowering Springs.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #12
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
99% of us would never be able to get the full potential out of either car and with mods both cars could be made insanely fast. I can guarantee you I would have a permagrin driving either car. I personally just like the look of the ZL1 better but I would gladly take both. A lot of time and technology have been put into both cars and I can honestly say we the consumer are getting a bargain to be able to get a car with either 580hp or 650hp for 55K to 60K. I remember when Dodge juiced the Viper up to 500hp and that was unheard of then and that car was starting around 90K without all of the technology and "extras" you get with either of these cars.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
99% of us would never be able to get the full potential out of either car and with mods both cars could be made insanely fast. I can guarantee you I would have a permagrin driving either car. I personally just like the look of the ZL1 better but I would gladly take both. A lot of time and technology have been put into both cars and I can honestly say we the consumer are getting a bargain to be able to get a car with either 580hp or 650hp for 55K to 60K. I remember when Dodge juiced the Viper up to 500hp and that was unheard of then and that car was starting around 90K without all of the technology and "extras" you get with either of these cars.

That about sums it up. I'm partial to Chevrolet and the Camaro, but I'd take any of the three (ie: Camaro, Mustang, Challenger).

And I have no idea how you get "overpriced" when the base price for both the GT500 and ZL1 is identical.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #14
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
We're not doing the whole "I could spend the difference in mods and spank a insert car name" again, are we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...ison-test.html

This is the only head to head comparison I've seen where they tested the car on a twisty road (not sure if it was a course, or back roads). They even swapped drivers to keep it fair.

I think this part of the article sums up the domination by the Camaro the best.

Nothing is more humbling than watching a car with 100 fewer horses and the extra weight of an NFL running back disappear into the distance on a back road. But that's exactly what happened when we brought the two cars together to establish which is the best-driving pony car ever. The answer, as improbable as it seemed, was as obvious as the Camaro's shrinking taillights.

Wait. Isn't this a Camaro? Yes, yes it is. The best Camaro ever.

The angriest Mustang in history, the car that had face-punched the ZL1 for months at auto shows and in Web forums was being systematically annihilated by that exact car. Every corner was another opportunity for the Camaro to drop trou and wave its giant bowtie-emblazoned butt in the GT500's face.

Driver swaps ensued to ensure impartiality, but a repeat performance sealed the deal. There wasn't anything to do but appreciate the stunning piece of work that is the 2012 Chevy Camaro ZL1. As one tester bluntly put it, "This might just be the best performance car General Motors has ever produced." A bold statement, for sure. But one for which there's much support.
Not doubting the results just because the ZL1 came out ahead, but Edmund's is known for having less than accurate results in its comparisons. I'll be more interested to read what C&D or MotorTrend has to say on the matter.
Closed Thread