Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #239
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
The thing that jumps out right away is the fat content is quite high. On the first recipie use 1 or 2 whole eggs, make the rest whites only then that one will be good.

Fat count is total fat, you should try for only monounsaturated and polyunsaturated, they are the "good fats" ALWAYS AVOID TRANS FATS and limit saturated fats as much as possible,there are some saturated fats in good protein sources so they cannot be completely eliminated.

When it comes to carbs don't be concerned with net carbs and sudstracting fiber and all that, look at the total carb count.

The protein bars breakdown is just wrong. The first 2 ingredients are oats, although a very good complex carb source oats are high in carbs so I have no problem with them being in the bars but how on earth can they say o carbs, not possible plus many of the other ingredients have carbs, something's not right. Also the fat content is much to high, one serving has a whole days worth of fat.

In the recipie book there are I believe two recipies for protein bars that are pretty good, you might want to look at them as an alternative and notice the fat content, much much lower.

Technicaly you could eat all your fat in one meal but is far from optimal but then there is no room for fat in any other meals, not very realistic.

Olive oil is a good fat but fats are very calorie dense so when applicable try substituting it with an olive oil based cooking spray.

Ask all you want lol.

Oh by the way, a typical serving of steak would be about 4-5 oz and asparagus would be about 10 spears.

I need to learn to eat less. Today was run run run again so breaking down to 5 meals didn't work. I'll continue to find the right foods for me so that I can do 5 a day.

Thanks for the olive oil spray, that would have been perfect for both of these.

I didn't think the bar looked right. I bought a few of them but I think they will work for afternoons with lunch being the big meal.

You mentioned one time a good late night snack. I want to be done eating by 8:00 at the latest, but on a night when I get home at 10:00 a nibble of something would be good. I'm sure you have suggestions
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #240
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet View Post
I need to learn to eat less. Today was run run run again so breaking down to 5 meals didn't work. I'll continue to find the right foods for me so that I can do 5 a day.

Thanks for the olive oil spray, that would have been perfect for both of these.

I didn't think the bar looked right. I bought a few of them but I think they will work for afternoons with lunch being the big meal.

You mentioned one time a good late night snack. I want to be done eating by 8:00 at the latest, but on a night when I get home at 10:00 a nibble of something would be good. I'm sure you have suggestions
Portion size is something everyone has to get used two, when you look at the nutrient labels it tells you the serving size, they are a lot less than what people eat, for example a serving of oatmeal is about 1/2 cup dry or a serving of brown rice is about 1/4 cup dry, a serving of olive oil is one level tbs, a serving of pasta is 2/3 oz dry, if you got a dinner with pasta at a resteraunt you are getting about 3-4 times that amount easily.

When your eating and still feel hungry load up on the fiberous veggies (not corn) they are low in cals so you will most likely get tired of chewing before you eat so much as to screw up your limits. That's why some diets say unlimited amounts of veggies.

I find it almost impossible to not eat after 7pm like some suggest so if I must eat it is usually a salad with a small protein source, eat what will do the least damage. The only other thing that I eat late and I make a habbit of it is a serving of no fat or 2% fat cottage cheese. It is actually a good food choice for late night, I get breakstones single serving cups. Cottage cheese is a casein protein, which is slow digesting, some feel that it will give added protein for aiding muscle developement while your sleeping, a time when you are not supplying any nutrients, funny thing is, muscles grow when resting, not when working so this makes sense. Some pro lifters actually wake up at night to eat protein for this purpose.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #241
CFD

Here are a few little tips that also will help making eating tasteful without killing you with cals etc. I haven't mentioned much about sodium(salt) your body actually does need some sodium intake but most foods are loaded with them when processed and packaged so you eat outrageous amounts even if you never add any so what I do is always by low sodium or no sodium, things like canned vegetables, tomatoe sauses or any canned tomatoes are loaded so buy no salt added and add your own when cooking or eating this way you can control how much you consume. You can use Worcestishire sauce, Soy sauce (low sodium) when cooking. One thing I use quite a bit, is Dejon mustard or one of my favorites is Jack Daniels horseradish, they add interesting flavor to chicken,turkey or one of my Bison Burgers. If you use a lot of spices and no cal condements your foods won't be boring and you will feel like you have eaten a real meal. The other thing is you start eating with your eyes and nose, so foods that are rich in colors and aromas satisfy more. All these little things help keep you on track
Old 01-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #242
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm going to spend more
Time with the cookbook. I liked the frittata I made today and
It was quick and easy and now that I know about olive oil
Cooking spray it will have less fat.

I had to laugh at the asparagus, buy the time they came out of
the oven they were so tiny. I think I need to get the steamer
out. Cauliflower and Brussel sprouts are some of my favorites
AND I'll spend more time looking at the possibilities with the
fiberous veggies.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #243
CFD

Quote:

fiberous veggies.
Next time your at the grocery store look where the sandwich bags are for steamer bags, they have a chart with cook times for veggies, usually 2-3 minutes for the whole bag, toss them in the microwave and done.

Cauliflower is excellent. Give this a shot. If you use the steamer bags for the cauliflower you cut the prep time down to 10 min and it's delicious and very healthy

Total Time: 20 minutes

Yield: Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 1/4 cup sesame tahini
  • 1/2 teaspoon organic gluten-free garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon organic extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 2-3 teaspoons chopped fresh organic parsley (optional garnish)
Preparation:

Steam cauliflower 9 to 10 minutes until tender to your liking. While the cauliflower is cooking mix the tahini, garlic powder and salt in a coffee cup with a spoon (or small whisk) until there are no lumps. Mix in the olive oil, then the lemon juice, then the water. Allow the sauce to sit for a few minutes and mix again. If you like a thinner sauce, add slightly more water, a teaspoon at a time. Whisk until smooth.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #244
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Quote:
Next time your at the grocery store look where the sandwich bags are for steamer bags, they have a chart with cook times for veggies, usually 2-3 minutes for the whole bag, toss them in the microwave and done.

Cauliflower is excellent. Give this a shot. If you use the steamer bags for the cauliflower you cut the prep time down to 10 min and it's delicious and very healthy

Total Time: 20 minutes

Yield: Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 1/4 cup sesame tahini
  • 1/2 teaspoon organic gluten-free garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon organic extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 2-3 teaspoons chopped fresh organic parsley (optional garnish)
Preparation:

Steam cauliflower 9 to 10 minutes until tender to your liking. While the cauliflower is cooking mix the tahini, garlic powder and salt in a coffee cup with a spoon (or small whisk) until there are no lumps. Mix in the olive oil, then the lemon juice, then the water. Allow the sauce to sit for a few minutes and mix again. If you like a thinner sauce, add slightly more water, a teaspoon at a time. Whisk until smooth.
Where would I find tahini? When the cauliflower is done do you just pour it over? I'll have to look for those bags -easy cleanup
Old 01-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #245
CFD

Quote:
Where would I find tahini? When the cauliflower is done do you just pour it over? I'll have to look for those bags -easy cleanup
We don't use words like pour in weight loss, more like drizzle, lol

Different supermarkets put it in different area's but every supermarket has it, you may have to ask for it, it is usually found near stuff like Humos.

The bags make it simple and fast, no clean up.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #246
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Drives: Not a Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Oh, I forgot, It looks like I am back in my dance exercize class. They found a new location and it is back to a time that works for me. I will probably cut back to 2 days per week as it is just too hard to get home that late 3 evenings a week after work & class. I can then add in some weight work as needed either Mon & Fri, M,W & F or Just on Wed. I'm still trying to figure all this out & what is the right balance for me. I still need to get that fat caliper. There is just not a convenient place that carries them. I never go to the mall (in another town) which is where our GNC is. One of these days I will make it there. One thing at a time!
I'm so glad you are back at your dance class! Its so much easier when its something you enjoy!!

Quote:
Now, let's tear appart salad dressings and nutrient labels in general. We will use the "FAT FREE" ranch below. It's fat free so it can't be to bad right, BULL SHIT, it sucks so bad, let's take a look.

30 cals
6 carbs
0 fat
3 g sugar

OOPS, I appologize, it's not that bad, like I said " BULL SHIT" LOOK AT THE INGREDIENT LIST

All items on an ingredient list lists the largest quantity of the ingredients first ( it's federal law)

1st water (one for the good guys)

2nd corn syrup ( PURE SUGAR)

3rd Maltidexterine (super high glycemic sugar)

4th sugar (no expanation needed)

5th modified corn starch ( you guessed it MORE SUGAR)

6th Buttermilk (fat)

7th salt

BUT, BUT, BUT you say, IT'S ONLY 30 CALORIES, well your right, it is only 30 calories IN THE BOTTLE. all that sugar completely screws up your metabloism and weight loss goals. Sugar drastically raises your insulin levels, you cannot burn fat with elevated insulin, period. When you eat sugar and fat it is almost guarenteed to turn into fat. This has a drastic effect on your metabolism, the whole idea behind eating healthy balanced meals 5 times a day is to provide adequate nutrients for your body to use and keep your insulin levels steady, that salad dressing just ruined your strategy completely as did the popcorn and piece of chocolate. I know it didn't seem like a big deal when you ate it but it is.

You crack me up.
I'll stick to my homemade vinaigrette.

Quote:
Thanks CFD. I have cut and pasted this so I can
print and carry it with me. I won't be perfect, but
it's a road map I can use. With time, I'll understand
and be better at "knowing" what I should be eating.

I'll be on my way..................

Still would like to post meals just because
it does make me think before I eat something.
Thanks again for taking the time.
A recipe site I love is SkinnyTaste.com. They are all easy, weight watchers friendly, and she posts up all the nutritonal info as well as serving size.

Quote:
It's a learning process but I will tell you something, if you honestly started eating clean, after a while (short while at that) the taste of fast foods, high fat content and high sugar content foods won't be so appealing and your body will no longer be addicted to them, because in fact they are addicting and THAT IS WHAT THE FOOD INDUSTRY WANTS, otherwise they would be out of business, not a conspiracy theory, a fact.
I can't eat the stuff I used to anymore. It makes me sick to my stomach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driyac View Post
Well I ran 4 miles today at 6.5mph... therefore successfully burned .72X245X4 = 705 calories in roughly 37 minutes.
Go go, get it get it!

Quote:
Now I feel guilty, I did nothing lol

Actually I workout 6 days a week, Sunday is my day off.

I only work out M-F right now cause our house gym is still not done.

Quote:
Here are a few little tips that also will help making eating tasteful without killing you with cals etc. I haven't mentioned much about sodium(salt) your body actually does need some sodium intake but most foods are loaded with them when processed and packaged so you eat outrageous amounts even if you never add any so what I do is always by low sodium or no sodium, things like canned vegetables, tomatoe sauses or any canned tomatoes are loaded so buy no salt added and add your own when cooking or eating this way you can control how much you consume. You can use Worcestishire sauce, Soy sauce (low sodium) when cooking. One thing I use quite a bit, is Dejon mustard or one of my favorites is Jack Daniels horseradish, they add interesting flavor to chicken,turkey or one of my Bison Burgers. If you use a lot of spices and no cal condements your foods won't be boring and you will feel like you have eaten a real meal. The other thing is you start eating with your eyes and nose, so foods that are rich in colors and aromas satisfy more. All these little things help keep you on track
I cut out processed foods a long time ago, now I can not handle sodium at all. If I happen to eat something with sodium in it, my throat will burn all day. Never going back.

Quote:

fiberous veggies.
Glad you liked it.
I bought extra egg whites this week so I can make one for me!

Quote:
We don't use words like pour in weight loss, more like drizzle, lol

Different supermarkets put it in different area's but every supermarket has it, you may have to ask for it, it is usually found near stuff like Humos.

The bags make it simple and fast, no clean up.

Last edited by bossbunny; 01-07-2013 at 07:59 AM.
bossbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #247
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Good morning fitness friends!
Went to the store yesterday - restocked my quinoa, veggies, eggs (and egg whites), and fruits as well as picked up more healthy snacks for my desk (and purse - I get low blood sugar).
Had salmon, sweet potatoes, and brussel sprouts for dinner while I watched the Biggest Loser Premiere (it comes on again tonight-eeee!)!
Workout done for today!!
5am Beastmode class (corny name I know)
-20 squats 75#
-Box squats 5x5 75#
-EMOM for 10min: Power Clean, hang clean, squat clean 45#
-Wod x3: 8 snatches 35#, 7 pull up, 7 dips, 400m run
Ready for a kick butt week!
Lets do this!

Last edited by bossbunny; 01-07-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #248
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

HELP I WANT A DONUT!!!

OK now I feel a little better. But I really could eat a donut
and there are some delicous ones here

I'll stay strong.

I'm not really well versed on working out, but BB you
are working with some decent weight for a little girl

Our workout today was in 10 min segments with 3
exercises per segment. Some jumping rope backwards,
knee to elbow drives, other stuff, but when it came to
weights it was 8 cleans, 8 bent over rows and 8 v-ups.
It was repetitive for 10 mins. I was using 2 20lb
weights and was really feeling it at the end of the
10 min. I really do love working with weights though.

So thanks for getting me past this craving, I'll go have
some water and get back to work. The PM box is
waiting
Old 01-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #249
CFD

Quote:
HELP I WANT A DONUT!!!

OK now I feel a little better. But I really could eat a donut
and there are some delicous ones here

I'll stay strong.

I'm not really well versed on working out, but BB you
are working with some decent weight for a little girl

Our workout today was in 10 min segments with 3
exercises per segment. Some jumping rope backwards,
knee to elbow drives, other stuff, but when it came to
weights it was 8 cleans, 8 bent over rows and 8 v-ups.
It was repetitive for 10 mins. I was using 2 20lb
weights and was really feeling it at the end of the
10 min. I really do love working with weights though.

So thanks for getting me past this craving, I'll go have
some water and get back to work. The PM box is
waiting

Here is something that will cure that craving.

Look in the mirror and see what part of your body has the most unwanted fat, now take that donut and tape it there,'cause that's right where it's most likely gonna end up. Then see how that looks.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #250
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Quote:

Look in the mirror and see what part of your body has the most unwanted fat, now take that donut and tape it there,'cause that's right where it's most likely gonna end up. Then see how that looks.

Thankfully I've never liked donuts.
But I can tear some kolaches up... So I stay far far away from them.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #251
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Quote:

Yup - that helps
Old 01-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #252
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Okay, I am trying to plan for a shopping list to have meals & snacks that are healthy & help me lose weight. It is very frustrating. A lot of recipies are too time consuming. I need stuff that can be cooked in a crock pot while I'm at work, or that cook quickly with little prep time for evening meals after work. It would be nice if they were things both My husband & I will eat (and enjoy). I managed to find a couple in the cookbook CFD posted. I still don't feel like I understand how to put together a daily intake plan with the right calories, ratio of protien/protien/fat, timing (what to eat when), etc. For instance, there are 2 protien bar recipes in the cookbook. One as a carb/protien/fat ratio of 57%/22%/21% and the other is 25%/55%/20%. How do I know which one is better for me? Should I have the same thing for my mid morning & late afternoon snack/meals or 2 different things? I feel like I need a PhD in nutrition & physiology. I have taken courses in these areas, read & learned a lot but it seems like the more I learn the more I need to learn and when to find the time??????????????? Okay I'm done venting, it is just frustrating.