Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
twin screw exhaust question

i am looking into adding a twin screw or waiting to see what edelbrock comes out with over the next month, meantime i am looking to put in a cat back exhaust ..ls3 motor NO other mods are going to be done besides the sc and exhaust, going to keep a tune that will keep warranty intact-6-7 boost? if i want to hear headers and cam i will take my 67 ss 396 out....i am 99% sure i am going with magnaflow because of quality and pricing from vendors here...my question is the 16579 just is to quiet for all the work and money ....the 2 1/2" 16580 muffler delete sounds good....i have been recommended to go with the 16583 cat back 3" system , any comments ... i have scoured the threads and from what i can understand i may not be pushing enough ponies for the 3". some even say i would possibly lose hp....how does the sc and a 3" exhaust intertwine{ pros and con} ...i would of posted this in exhaust but i feel the fi thread would be more resourceful...reminds me of the debate of the 2300 and the 1900 ,lol...is bigger diameter better in my hp range? thanks everybody
mikepage0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
If you're concerned about HP made per pound of boost, you need to be concerned about back pressure in the exhaust. Just because your exhaust is loud doesn't mean it's doing a good job. A crappy exhaust on a supercharged motor will result in more boost and less power. Simply put, if your exhaust is flowing free, you have the potential to make more power. If someone tells you that you need a certain amount of "back pressure" to make good power, they're full of BS plain and simple. If tuned correctly, a free flowing exhaust will make more power vs a restricted exhaust on a supercharged motor.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
mikepage0007

so where would you stand on 3" with mufflers or 2 1/2 " muffler delete , i believe most backpressure is coming from the factory manifolds and cat converter...i,m not going for total noise , but noise without losing hp or as you put it "crappy exhaust on a supercharged motor will result in more boost and less power". i would like to get most out of what i want to do , add sc and cat back ..qustion is still which catback and why....thanks
Old 01-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Mike, the exhaust manifold and stock CATS were designed for NA volume and not FI. If I were you I would get headers plus high flow CATS and stay with stock mufflers to make it more quiet. You would have a better result from this combo than staying with stock manifold and putting 3" muffler. Almost 90% of the installs on this forum include LT headers.

Just my 2 cents!
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
old motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007 View Post
so where would you stand on 3" with mufflers or 2 1/2 " muffler delete , i believe most backpressure is coming from the factory manifolds and cat converter...i,m not going for total noise , but noise without losing hp or as you put it "crappy exhaust on a supercharged motor will result in more boost and less power". i would like to get most out of what i want to do , add sc and cat back ..qustion is still which catback and why....thanks
Ditch the stock ex manifolds if you can. The ideal exhaust system would include LT's and a cutout in front of the muffs/cats. Short of that, 3" from the LT's back to high flow cats and good muffs behind that would be ideal. I've found Flowmasters to be loud and restrictive. Magnaflows to be not as loud and less restrictive. Camaros don't have the great option that the vettes have. Vettes have a dual mode muffler option that allows the ex gasses to go straight through(loud mode) vs routing the gasses though the muffler (quiet mode). I'm hoping someone comes up with a dual mode system for the Camaro before I have to deal with it.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:02 PM   #6
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
From what I have read, without heavy power mods, you loose too much back pressure with the 3" system. Stay with 2.5"

I put the SOLO MACH X system on my car and I have a noticeable difference in Power and throttle response and the most high end sounding smooth exhaust note I have heard to date on the Camaro. Check the thread before you spend all that money on a Magnaflow.

SOLO System Is I believe $750 to your door. Read up on them....there are tons of threads with satisfied customers......including me of course.

Here is the Video:

Old 01-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
old motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmicro_SS View Post
From what I have read, without heavy power mods, you loose too much back pressure with the 3" system. Stay with 2.5"

I put the SOLO MACH X system on my car and I have a noticeable difference in Power and throttle response and the most high end sounding smooth exhaust note I have heard to date on the Camaro. Check the thread before you spend all that money on a Magnaflow.

SOLO System Is I believe $750 to your door. Read up on them....there are tons of threads with satisfied customers......including me of course.

Here is the Video:

Wow....and if you cram a potato in your tail pipe, you could even make more power.......ahhhhhhhh shooot.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:52 PM   #8
bilydean

Drives: One of the rare ABM camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
Wow....and if you cram a potato in your tail pipe, you could even make more power.......ahhhhhhhh shooot.
Sorry...but that is kinda funny.
3400 6/20 TPW of 6/29
3800 7/3
4D00 7/8 interned at QC
4B00 7/16 Released from QC
4200 7/20

8/5 We picked up the car
bilydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:59 AM   #9
EDISKRAD EHT

Drives: Blown Goat
I'd do LT's before a catback. They'll add a nice growl to your exhaust note even with the stock catback,
EDISKRAD EHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:09 AM   #10
mikepage0007

well everybody seems to agree, lt headers? ...well i don,t want to spend a fortune on a brand new exhaust, but the trash cans got to go....the headers are going to make it louder than i want , so i will stick with stock exhaust...btw all the magnaflow systems i mention , i can get on this site are in the 650 to 850 delivered from camaro5 vendors
Old 01-27-2010, 08:11 AM   #11
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Go with ARH Long Tubes, Cats, Magnaflow 3" system. It is not overly loud at all. It is nice and mellow but says hey .. I got a bit of attitude !!

Crowley
Old 01-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
The exhaust system is only as good as it's smallest hole, in this case the manifolds and factory cats are the smallest hole so anything you do after that will be pointless.

We have built cars with superchargers from 6 to 8 psi boost with stock and modified CAT BACK exhaust and saw no difference in performance.

All though, Headers Lower Boost and Gain 10 HP, which is a very efficient way of gaining power.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #13
Mike@KB

Drives: 775HP 2005 KBGT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
The exhaust system is only as good as it's smallest hole, in this case the manifolds and factory cats are the smallest hole so anything you do after that will be pointless.

We have built cars with superchargers from 6 to 8 psi boost with stock and modified CAT BACK exhaust and saw no difference in performance.

All though, Headers Lower Boost and Gain 10 HP, which is a very efficient way of gaining power.

Ted.
That's pretty much what we see with high boost (above 15). If you are looking for every ounce of HP then headers are an option. But 10HP for $1200 or 15-20RWHP for $69 (Pulley change). Keep in mind, this isn't 1969 the O.E.M. exhaust is pretty good.
Mike@KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #14
EDISKRAD EHT

Drives: Blown Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Go with ARH Long Tubes, Cats, Magnaflow 3" system. It is not overly loud at all. It is nice and mellow but says hey .. I got a bit of attitude !!

Crowley

Yeah I have LT's (Kooks though) cats, and a Magnaflow catback on my GTO, and I'll be going the same route on the Camaro. It has a nice mellow (but deep) sound under idle and normal driving, but screams like a banshee when WOT.
EDISKRAD EHT is offline   Reply With Quote