Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #29
robotfighter

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 2LS
Can anyone tell me what a Black Isolator is?
robotfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #30
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotfighter View Post
Can anyone tell me what a Black Isolator is?
Composite spacer between your intake and block. It keeps your intake from heat soaking the heat from the block. A great bang for the buck.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #31
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Get all your mods done first then get your tune. This will save you from having to adjust it for every mod. I would go with IPF tune if I were to do it again. Trifecta was the only game in town in the early years.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:43 PM   #32
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
I'm not doing any mods to my LLT , If I wanted MORE power, I would have started with the V8, and went from their.
"There"
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #33
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhide_RS View Post
Wow! Thanks everyone! I'm humbly appreciative of the support and how willing everyone is to spend my money, lol. I will take all of this into consideration. As it stands this moment, I getting a black ice-olator (I've read a lot of ranting and raving on here but, I'm still a bit skeptical as to how a spacer on our engines is so effective. Whereas, for example on the 2JZ-GTE block, a spacer didn't do much in terms of power). Also, I'm on the list to receive one of the first batches of Vietesse throttle controllers. And I think I'm gonna get a Vmax PTB at the same time. At the end of month, I'll be getting the vararam. I know a few people have stuck to their guns on the Injen and CAI, and I respectfully decline.
If this "black ice-olator" is a spacer between the throttle body and the block... save your money and don't bother.

Sometimes we save you money, too.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:51 PM   #34
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
Welcome to the club and happy modding.

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #35
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
If this "black ice-olator" is a spacer between the throttle body and the block... save your money and don't bother.

Yeah, avoid throttle body spacers. The Black Ice-olator sits between the intake manifold and the intake ports for the heads. It is a pretty good mod to keep heat soak down (aluminum intake manifold can get real hot). If you get the thick one, you can also get a bump in low-end torque because it is increasing the runner length.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #36
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Quote:
Wow! Thanks everyone! I'm humbly appreciative of the support and how willing everyone is to spend my money, lol. I will take all of this into consideration. As it stands this moment, I getting a black ice-olator (I've read a lot of ranting and raving on here but, I'm still a bit skeptical as to how a spacer on our engines is so effective. Whereas, for example on the 2JZ-GTE block, a spacer didn't do much in terms of power). Also, I'm on the list to receive one of the first batches of Vietesse throttle controllers. And I think I'm gonna get a Vmax PTB at the same time. At the end of month, I'll be getting the vararam. I know a few people have stuck to their guns on the Injen and CAI, and I respectfully decline.
Take your car out for a spin and put your hand on the intake manifold before you install the Black Iceolater. Then put it on there after the install. I will warn you one time it will be HOT! without it. Cold air = Horsepower.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:31 PM   #37
ironhide_RS

Drives: 2011 black 1LT/RS M6
I actually just found a great deal for a Hypertech Max Energy for dirt cheap. It's coming in Friday. Next week, I'll get the Ice-olator, Vmax PTB and the Vietesse throttle controller. By mid October, I plan on having the Vararam intake. Then in a couple of months, the BBK's.
ironhide_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #38

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS 6A
Quote:
"There"
Congratulations !!!! You found a spelling error ! You must still be a virgin ! Cute !
191185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:54 PM   #39
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Congratulations !!!! You found a spelling error ! You must still be a virgin ! Cute !
What's worse, pointing out a mistake or calling people names?
Old 09-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #40
ironhide_RS

Drives: 2011 black 1LT/RS M6
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
ironhide_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:50 AM   #41
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS, 2009 GTR
Quote:
Quote:

It actually works on the LLT though. There are threads with dynos and Apex has it on their site when you buy it. Below is a better description of what it does and with dyno numbers.

"The VMAX Black Ice-olator isolates the intake manifold from the direct heat transfer from the cylinder heads and also shields the intake from radiated heat from the engine block. With an infrared temperature gun, we saw a 30° F temperature reduction compared to a stock setup. Dyno graphs are available in the images.

Other independent testing showed similar gains on a dyno:
+10.5 RWHP / +21.5 RWT at 2500
+11 RWHP / +19.5 RWT at 3000
+9.5 RWHP / +15 RWT at 3500
+20.5 RWHP / +27.5 RWT at 4000
+13.5 RWHP / +16 RWHP at 4500
+13 RWHP / +13.5 RWT at 5000
+11 RWHP / +11 RWT at 5500
+11 RWHP / +9 RWT at 6000
+4 RWHP / +3.5 RWT at 6500
+1 RWHP / +2 RWT at at 6800"
Old 09-17-2014, 09:36 AM   #42

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS 6A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post

Both are equally childish. Can we talk about Camaro's now ?
191185 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1lt, 2010, 2011, llt, mods