Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-01-2009, 12:32 PM   #99
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aperformance View Post
Good point! What about drone while crusing at highway speeds in 6th gear. Have you taken any long trips to really get a feel for it?
Old 06-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #100
sherlock88

Drives: 1967 camaro, 2008 silverado
sounds pretty damn good. i did something similer to my 08 silverado. i just unbolted the whole exhaust right after the cats and got a turndown welded on and it cost me 30 bucks
sherlock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #101
GoldBowtie

Drives: 2021 Yukon Denali, 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
No I have not change the air intake yet. However that is one thing I also think would really help out. Air intake and straight pipes would at most give you 5 to 10 HP in a real world dyno. But if you break it out by cost of mod for HP gained after an Air Ram intake you could get 1 HP for each 50.00. Not bad in the world of things. Add a tune and I would think that gains would be very comperable to what the high dollar mods are getting. I have to throw this out there as my opinion. This is most definately not a mod for the l99 motor. The tuning required for the kickdown system to keep it from sounding like crap when only running on four cylinders would make this not work. It is possible that a good sound could be achieved in the V6 though. I would more than likely add a big resonator to bring the tone down to a lower deeper sound. If you go in with a budget that allows for upgrades then cut the mufflers off and see where you are starting from. If it works for you go for it. If you dont like it then throw some other aftermarket parts at it.
Why do you believe this mod is not for a L99?? I was very happy with Magnaflows on my '06 Monte Carlo SS and sounded great at all speeds including 4cyl mode (could not really hear the transition back and forth). I am about to do this straight pipe mod on my new 2SS auto but would like to hear from anyone who has any exhaust experience on the new L99 Camaro.

My "Plan B" would be to remove straight pipe and add after market mufflers like Magnaflow or Flowmaster. GMPP looks good too, but NOTHING seems to be available NOW. I LOVE the car but it definitely needs some added "attitude" in the exhaust area!

I would welcome opinion from those with some experience in this area. Thanks all.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #102
Tony Thomason

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I just call my Muff shop.....They will be on in 3 hours...Thanks!!!!

I will let ya'll know after its done.....I have had my 2SS for about a month and its the best car I have ever had. 1st place at SuperChevy in Ennis.........Thanks a million!!!! Tony
Attached Images

Tony Thomason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #103
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
This was a popular mod to C4 Corvette years ago. In fact I did it to my 96 vert. It sounded great, until I drove it. The resonances were so bad all the mirrors were blurred. My ears actually were "ringing" after a 30 minute cruise. And it felt like I lost a ton of low end torque.

I hope this is a better execution.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:50 PM   #104
GoldBowtie

Drives: 2021 Yukon Denali, 2018 ZL1
Thanks, Aperformance, you bring up some good points -- I forgot the Hemi folks have a similar situation. I always liked Magnaflow -- and was promised some info about their new stuff tomorrow. But I definitely won't do a whole catback sys. Thanks again.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:13 PM   #105
2011RS/SS

Drives: 2016 corvette Z06
wow.. sounds good.. i thought it would be obnoxiously loud with no mufflers on it, but it wasn't...
2011RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #106
GenoTex

Drives: 2008 Shelby GT500, among other
Its the same as SLP Loudmouth systems
GenoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:27 PM   #107
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldBowtie View Post
Why do you believe this mod is not for a L99?? I was very happy with Magnaflows on my '06 Monte Carlo SS and sounded great at all speeds including 4cyl mode (could not really hear the transition back and forth). I am about to do this straight pipe mod on my new 2SS auto but would like to hear from anyone who has any exhaust experience on the new L99 Camaro.

My "Plan B" would be to remove straight pipe and add after market mufflers like Magnaflow or Flowmaster. GMPP looks good too, but NOTHING seems to be available NOW. I LOVE the car but it definitely needs some added "attitude" in the exhaust area!

I would welcome opinion from those with some experience in this area. Thanks all.
You know to be honest, I was told this by Scott Settlemire back in April. We were talking about this very subject and he shared with me the issues that GM had with the l99 and its sound when running in 4 cyl mode. I personally have not heard one but would have no reason to believe otherwise.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:36 PM   #108
2010 SS RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aperformance View Post
Good point! What about drone while crusing at highway speeds in 6th gear. Have you taken any long trips to really get a feel for it?
You must not have your car yet. In sixth gear at 2500 RMPs you are going 105 MPH. I just happened to notice that tonight when I was rushing home to beat a rain storm. At 80 you are at about 1950 RPMs. The car is as quiet as stock at the lower rmp's. I was just to blasted at work today but I will post up a video asap with interior sound at highway speeds. Look I am not selling these babies, I was just throwing it out there for an inexpensive option and I am very happy with the results and have been getting unbelievable comments from all that have heard it in person.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
Old 06-02-2009, 09:16 AM   #109
Davis

Drives: '10 Black 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Look I am not selling these babies, I was just throwing it out there for an inexpensive option and I am very happy with the results and have been getting unbelievable comments from all that have heard it in person.
Thanks for posting the videos and your opinions.
Mine's going in tomorrow morning to get this done.
Delivered 4/17/2009
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #110
2010 SS RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
Thanks for posting the videos and your opinions.
Mine's going in tomorrow morning to get this done.
Please post up your opinions and evaluation. I sometimes feel like the lone ranger out here.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #111
Purdue2011SS
Boiler Up!! POTFH

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM Camaro
hey, i just got my camaro last week, the RS/LT v6 auto...just wondering if this pipe will work on the v6? and if so, would it produce the same effect/sound? thanks!
Old 06-03-2009, 07:24 PM   #112
Davis

Drives: '10 Black 2SS/RS M6
Got my straight pipes put in today and all I can say is !!

No drone, no noticeable difference at highway cruising speeds, great idle and sounds like a beast when you get on it.

Perfect!
Delivered 4/17/2009
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote