Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
TheRaven
TheRaven

Drives: 2012 RS Camaro-black
2012 RS CAMARO MUFFLER DELETE

First I apologize if this is a repeat question, but can't find what I'm looking for. I'm not the smartest or dumbest book on the shelf, but in the middle. Can someone explain to me muffler delete? Does that mean simply cutting the muffler off and adding a straight pipe? I hear "X" pipe. is that simply an X shape pipe I can purchase or make to use instead of straights? Will there be any lights coming on the dash? Will I gain or lose anything? I want it done right but my budget is a bit small. Also are there any vid's that show the how to's on performing this. I am really just interested in sound more than anything and again my budget is little. Thanks in advance. Peace!
TheRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
If you were to simply cut your exhaust pipes right after the rear axle and remove everything to the rear of those cuts (pipe, mufflers and tips), that's a muffler delete. Naturally, you'd want new pipes, without mufflers, and new tips to carry the exhaust out the back.

That's going to be loud. And it will have "drone" at highway speeds. And I think it sounds like garbage, but that's my opinion.

To combat some of the "drone," you can go a little further upstream from the previously described cuts in the pipes, forward of the rear axle and see that there's a section of pipe installed from the factory where the pipes appear to touch. That's a crossover, which serves to "balance" the uneven pulses in the exhaust pipe banks (right and left). If you were to cut that section out, then replace it with a resonated x-pipe, you'd be again balancing the system, but also adding a small measure of muffling, present inside the new x-pipe. That would help minimize (but not eliminate) highway drone and raspiness.

Hope that helps.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
TheRaven
TheRaven

Thanks John. I will put the car up in the air over the weekend and check this out. Drone doesn't bother me to much, but I dont want it to be excessive. I'll continue to search around before I just jump in there and start cutting away. Thanks again.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRaven View Post
Thanks John. I will put the car up in the air over the weekend and check this out. Drone doesn't bother me to much, but I dont want it to be excessive. I'll continue to search around before I just jump in there and start cutting away. Thanks again.
Just search. There are many members who have muffler deletes on the v6 and absolutely love it. They say it isn't too loud and the drone is practically unnoticeable. There are opinions all over the place on the topic. Muffler deletes are relatively inexpensive and if there is too much drone, you can always add an additional resonator or a different type of muffler.
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
TheRaven
TheRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
Just search. There are many members who have muffler deletes on the v6 and absolutely love it. They say it isn't too loud and the drone is practically unnoticeable. There are opinions all over the place on the topic. Muffler deletes are relatively inexpensive and if there is too much drone, you can always add an additional resonator or a different type of muffler.

Thank you ecko04. I believe I will drive down to my moms and use my stepdads shop. He has all the jack, jackstands, welder, etc. down there. I might just stop at the muffler shop and talk to the dude who owns it for some options. Peace!
Old 12-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
TheRaven
TheRaven

? for John B. Is it a possibility to reuse the original tips after cutting the mufflers?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRaven View Post
? for John B. Is it a possibility to reuse the original tips after cutting the mufflers?
Although not addressed to me, I figured i'd answer.

Yes it is but why? Go bigger, they'll fill out the diffuser better.
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
TheRaven
TheRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
Although not addressed to me, I figured i'd answer.

Yes it is but why? Go bigger, they'll fill out the diffuser better.

Good point. I believe I will take your advise. Thank you.