Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
mnowack

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS AGM
Rear Speaker Keeps Blowing

I can't seem to figure this out and I'm hoping that you all can help me with this issue. Two weeks ago I had a 12 inch Hertz sub and amp installed by a local reputable audio shop. Everything sounded great when I got it, drove around listened to a variety of music at different volume levels and whatnot. The next day, the stock BA rear passenger side speaker blew. This is the side that the sub is installed on. Wasn't listening to anything super loud, had the bass control for the sub right in the mid range, nothing crazy. They were playing it louder when they were testing it after install than I was when I was listening to it.

Bring it back to the shop, they're not sure why it happened. I'm not either to be honest. I opted for them to install some different speakers rather than bringing it back to the dealership to get the BA speaker replaced under warranty. This time they installed some Sony XS 6x9's (from the sony GS line) which they said would work better than the Hertz speakers with the rest of the BA system/amp. They also installed some Hush Mat on the rear deck to help with vibration etc. Got the car back, sounded great. Two days later the rear passenger speaker blows again. And again, not listening to anything super loud, never turn the volume past maybe 17. I used to listen to stuff a lot louder than that before I got the sub installed without any issue. Now with the extra bass I don't need to turn it up as loud.

I'm trying to figure out what's going on here. I'm obviously going to call the shop again and see what they have to say, the Sony speakers are under a 3 year warranty from them. But I just can't figure out why this keeps happening. Wiring issue? Is the sub moving too much air causing the speakers to overflex? Any ideas? Here are some pictures of the install so you can see what I'm working with. Any input is appreciated.

Name:  SUB1.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  103.1 KB

Name:  SUB2.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  108.4 KB

Name:  AMP.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  162.7 KB
mnowack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
mnowack

Nothing, really? Damn!

Bringing it back in to the audio place. They seemed very determined to figure it out, they're thinking its possibly something with the amp/wiring. I hope they get it taken care of before my 4th of July roadtrip!
Old 06-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
they had to change something dealing with the wires going to those speakers. is the amp going to the rear speakers? kinda only blow when too much power is pushed to it. have them find out the issue. it could be the speakers because if all they did is just replace the rear speakers and no amp is installed to them. then its the speakers
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
lfree11012

Drives: 2018 1LE
Sound like a bad out put from oem amp Or to mush bass runing throw them unplug RCA at aftermaket amp so you do not hear the sub and see if the rear dock speakers are making a pop sound or bottoming out when you are playing radio
lfree11012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
mnowack

Well it's weird because it's only the passenger side that keeps doing it. That's why I was thinking maybe it had something to do with the sub since it's installed on that side. I'm taking it back on Saturday and they're going to take everything apart and try to figure it out.

They thought it might have something to do when the tapped into the oem system to get a channel for the amp that something is getting distorted to that speaker. I admittedly know really nothing about the stereo/wiring stuff so I'm trusting them to figure it out. The speaker is definitely blown, sounds just like it did when it happened to the other one. I have everything faded to the front for now because it sounds horrible otherwise.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
The tap would be my thought as well.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
lfree11012

The tap is just for single to the amp it does take some power away but we are talking very little still sound like a bad out put from oem amp When you take it back ask them to move the high kow to the input side of the oem amp that way it is not hooked to a speaker. Even if they do that and your speaker blows might wont to look at 4 or 5 ch amps
Old 06-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfree11012 View Post
The tap is just for single to the amp it does take some power away but we are talking very little still sound like a bad out put from oem amp When you take it back ask them to move the high kow to the input side of the oem amp that way it is not hooked to a speaker. Even if they do that and your speaker blows might wont to look at 4 or 5 ch amps
First, it's "signal". Second, I would assume a "quality" shop is already using the input side of the amp. But you never know I guess.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:40 AM   #9
lfree11012

^^^ your right you never know i would have to see it to tell for sure but it looks like he said they taped the rear speaker on a ba system at one speaker if so I will be sitting here And your right it is signal dam iPad spell ck

Last edited by lfree11012; 06-21-2013 at 10:45 AM.