Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 03-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
smarbrit

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM
Calgary Body Shops

I have 2 quotes for repairs required on my car, 1 for my car being keyed and the other for being rear ended. 2 separate claims but may as well do both repairs at the same time. My quotes are from Shaganappi Chev's body shop, same dealer where I bought the car and the other from Boyds on Edmonton Trail.

After reading some horror stories of body work from others on the forum, obviously I am a bit nervous. Carstar did my repairs for hail damage in the fall and I refuse to go back. Hail repairs were fine, but the misaligned my hood and trunk, causing the trunk to rub and now there's a bit of paint missing. If they can't even look after the minor details, they won't be getting any more work from me.

So does anyone have any experience with either shop that can be shared? Boyds is my insurance co's preferred. Thanks
smarbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
dragon22

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
I can tell you this much. You don't need to deal with the insurance company's preferred body shop. It sounds like you know this, but so many people don't.

I am a firm believer in taking the car to the dealer for body work. They should definitely know the car.

Always take one or two people with you to pick up the car to look it over with you. Never pick up the car after hours. Make sure the body shop department is open so you can report defects before driving off the lot. Why do I recommend this? People are so excited about getting their car back, the don't notice the imperfections until afterward. Then it is too late.

When I bought my car, I picked it up and parked it in my garage. Went out a day or two later and the rear window was literally blown out. (We never did figure out why. Marked down as one of those things.) Took it back to Southgate Chev and they had the window replaced and had to repaint the back half of the car due to the glass gouging the paint. They did a fantastic job of blending and matching!

I would highly recommend them.
dragon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
smarbrit

That's crazy what happened to your back window!! Glad they got it fixed.

I know I can take the car where I want which is why I'm leaning towards the dealer. My salesguy is the one who recommended them as they know the car best! Problem is the quote from the dealer is higher for the key damage than the other shop, which means I pay the difference, on top of the deductible. Ill give them a call and see if they can match it.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
dragon22

Yes, Southgate did the repairs under full warranty for me. They are definitely the best place I've EVER dealt with. Customer Service Plus!

Are you serious??? The insurance company is going to make you pay the difference? That should not be. The reason the quote is higher from the dealer is because they are going to be blending the paint properly to match.

I don't know that the insurance company can make you pay the difference. It's not your fault the car was keyed and isn't that what we have insurance for?

I would still go to the dealer. Don't cheap out though because you won't be pleased with the results. I hope the difference isn't too much.

And I totally agree with your sales guy. I know a camaro member who had his car repaired at a body shop other than dealer and months afterward, I was looking at his car and asked why there was such a huge gap between his fascia and hood. He was going to take it back, but I haven't heard if he had any luck with that. It was HUGE!
Old 03-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
smarbrit

The ins co actually did say that too me. I just called the dealer and they said they used to deal with my co but terminated them as they pay reduced shop rates and insist on aftermarket parts. He did say that he would match the quote to complete both jobs and bec I am a customer of the dealer.

Hopefully I get the same great results you did!
Old 03-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
dragon22

That is awesome news! They obviously value you as a customer. Insurance companies are such thieves! We pay the premiums to be insured, then they find every which way not to cover us if we have a claim.

I'm sure it will turn out fine!
Old 03-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
smarbrit

Its crazy the way they think they can treat you. I've been driving for years and never had a claim until last year, hit a retread on deerfoot with my old car. It was repaired through ins and as it was my first claim in 20+ years of driving,did not affect my rates. This will be the second claim thru my ins for the camaro and honestly, just bec rates are lower does not mean quality service or repair, which will lead to further issues. I would think the ins would want to be done with it the first time.

Btw, when I picked up my car after the hail repair, most of the guys came out of the shop to look it over with me. I had brought my bf as well. I pointed out numerous issues and refused to take it. They kept it another 2 days and when I went to pick it up, noone even acknowledged me. So I gave them a scathing review on their followup call. Got their attention but then they just patronized me. Screw em!
Old 03-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
FitterMike

Drives: Camaro
Go see Dan at Screamin' Paintworks

You won't be disappointed
Avante Garde F241 20x10 Front 20x11 Rear
Pioneer Stage 4 Sub x2, Pioneer Stage 4 3Way Components, Pioneer PRS 2 Channel ICE Amps x5
Magnuson TVS2300, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers, Roto-Fab Intake
Follow me on Instagram @flawlessdetailsinc
Tuned and Built by Davenport Motorsports.
FitterMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
dragon22

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarbrit View Post
Its crazy the way they think they can treat you. I've been driving for years and never had a claim until last year, hit a retread on deerfoot with my old car. It was repaired through ins and as it was my first claim in 20+ years of driving,did not affect my rates. This will be the second claim thru my ins for the camaro and honestly, just bec rates are lower does not mean quality service or repair, which will lead to further issues. I would think the ins would want to be done with it the first time.

Btw, when I picked up my car after the hail repair, most of the guys came out of the shop to look it over with me. I had brought my bf as well. I pointed out numerous issues and refused to take it. They kept it another 2 days and when I went to pick it up, noone even acknowledged me. So I gave them a scathing review on their followup call. Got their attention but then they just patronized me. Screw em!
Atta Girl! LOL LOL
Old 04-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
smarbrit

Well my car was scheduled to in today for 9 days for repairs. Get to the shop to drop it off and they are asking me for a damage sticker. For what?? - both quotes for separate damages were less than $2,000. Well apparently the other drivers insurance co replaced a few parts, not just the lower bumper, driving the cost to $2,700 Would have been nice if they told me as I didn't see the other quote.

My brake parts are in as well, so it will all get done at 1 time, which is nice. Hopefully winter is done by the time I get it back..
Old 04-16-2013, 03:19 AM   #11
dragon22

Wow! It's one thing after another for you, Sheena. Good news...I say winter is officially over!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #12
Tyler H
XLR8TNG

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I have used Shaganappi for paint. They did a great job for me. I have had family and friends use them also with no problems. I bought my Zl1 and a few others there. Ha.... Small world!
Tyler H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
smarbrit

There was a new ZL1 black vert sitting on the lot this morning...sweet car!

Hmmm, things to miss about driving my Camaro already....I actually miss the stealth windows, even though mine aren't tinted, hate driving a vehicle where the windshield is as big as the car....lol

Heated seats, Bluetooth for phone, radio controls on the steering wheel and the HUD, and I've only driven the rental for 15 mins...lol

I especially miss the "I'm driving the coolest car ever" feeling as well, just one of the masses for 2 weeks...
Old 04-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #14
Robd
Robs SS

Drives: 2011 camaro ss synergy
Ouch2 weeks!your gonna be going through Camaro withdrawal !!!
[COLOR=lime]my kinda going green POWER 605 RWHP powered by maggie chrome tsv 2300 supercharger,ar long tube headers high flow cats b and b exhaust ,roto fab intake ,lingenfelter cam , upgraded sc reservoir ,Comp cams
performance valve springs, Comp cams Titanium retainers,Heavy duty valve locks,MSD ignition wires, Kool Sox heat resistant heat sleeves , Larger fuel injectors, high flow fuel rails,American racing rims ,hurst short throw shifter,led footwell and grille lighting,pfadt suspension upgrades
Robd is offline   Reply With Quote