Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-01-2010, 07:47 PM   #71
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
if you drive your black car often, nothing short of a weekly detail job will keep it non-swirly. Shoot, wash and dry the car and look closely at the paint and you will see swirls just from washing and drying. Black cars...awesome in the dark but not worth the time and effort.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #72
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
if you drive your black car often, nothing short of a weekly detail job will keep it non-swirly. Shoot, wash and dry the car and look closely at the paint and you will see swirls just from washing and drying. Black cars...awesome in the dark but not worth the time and effort.
That is absolutely NOT the case unless you are washing the car incorrectly. That is the number 1 reason black paint gets such a bad rap. People wash the car wrong and wonder why the paint looks like crap.

I can wash my car everyday and not pick up a single scratch because I use a proper 2-bucket washing method. Doing so is what makes my paint look flawless. If you touch the paint properly, you will experience the same results that I obtain.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #73
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
No, but I have a paycheck coming in a week. Did you have a suggestion?
This is just my suggestion/opinion. I don't want anybody to say no that's crap. I'm just giving him an easier way to go if he isn't worried about everything. There are other people on here that like NXT 2.0 also. If you're not worried about sheen or shine. You could use OTC products besides the towels. You need Premium towels from Adam's or any other professional detail store. I would use Meg's Ultimate Compound by hand and follow it up with some Swirl-X. Or if you don't want to worry about the scratches or shine at all, just get you some NXT 2.0 Paste or liquid wax. It is really a sealant and last for a while and looks good. Paste wax last longer usually. That is what I use, and it is easy to put on and remove. I put two layers of NXT 2.0 on my car it is my DD. The sealant last me for about 4 to 5 months depending on the season. There is no since of spending all of that money if you're not worried about the shine imo. And you can always change your mind later on if you decide you want the shine and pick up a DA or something. This is just a suggestion that won't break the bank.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #74
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
I love black, but damn it, I don't want to spend my life cleaning it, thats why i went with IOM, looks good longer between washes and all I have been doing so far is washing and drying by hand, must be doing that part right because no swirl marks or anything yet, just picked up some turtle wax Ice polish, think I'm gonna order some of that adams detailing spray to dry my car with, will that help with the very few water spots I do get occasionaly? I've only had the car for 2 months now by the way.
vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #75
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
I love black, but damn it, I don't want to spend my life cleaning it, thats why i went with IOM, looks good longer between washes and all I have been doing so far is washing and drying by hand, must be doing that part right because no swirl marks or anything yet, just picked up some turtle wax Ice polish, think I'm gonna order some of that adams detailing spray to dry my car with, will that help with the very few water spots I do get occasionaly? I've only had the car for 2 months now by the way.
Any detail spray will help remove water spots as long as you use it right when you get the car into the garage as long as the car is clean. If your car is dirty, and not just dusty, I wouldn't use anything except for washing the car at first chance.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #76
Viper595
Redline drop, or go home

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
after reading everything junkman has posted, i hopped over to adam's polishes and am going to order all of my polish/wax/detailing supplies from there from now on. it's harder than hell to find decent products. THANK YOU JUNKMAN
Viper595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:45 PM   #77
WhiteCrane

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iomcamaro View Post
This is just my suggestion/opinion. I don't want anybody to say no that's crap. I'm just giving him an easier way to go if he isn't worried about everything. There are other people on here that like NXT 2.0 also. If you're not worried about sheen or shine. You could use OTC products besides the towels. You need Premium towels from Adam's or any other professional detail store. I would use Meg's Ultimate Compound by hand and follow it up with some Swirl-X. Or if you don't want to worry about the scratches or shine at all, just get you some NXT 2.0 Paste or liquid wax. It is really a sealant and last for a while and looks good. Paste wax last longer usually. That is what I use, and it is easy to put on and remove. I put two layers of NXT 2.0 on my car it is my DD. The sealant last me for about 4 to 5 months depending on the season. There is no since of spending all of that money if you're not worried about the shine imo. And you can always change your mind later on if you decide you want the shine and pick up a DA or something. This is just a suggestion that won't break the bank.
I think we'd all agree that liquid glass sealant isn't garbage. That's the sealant I used. While the paint seems sealed, I seem to get water spots on top of the sealant. The spots on the flat parts of my car has the distinct shapes of rain drops. The Dust/pollen/dirt it is caked into these 'water spots' thick. Amazingly I don't seem to have any white lime stains this time around.

Last edited by WhiteCrane; 11-03-2010 at 12:14 AM.
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:27 AM   #78
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
I think we'd all agree that liquid glass sealant isn't garbage. That's the sealant I used. While the paint seems sealed, I seem to get water spots on top of the sealant. The spots on the flat parts of my car has the distinct shapes of rain drops. The Dust/pollen/dirt it is caked into these 'water spots' thick. Amazingly I don't seem to have any white lime stains this time around.
Here's the thing with any type of protection. If water spots are sticking to the finish and requiring more than soap and water to remove them, then the protection isn't working. I have allowed rain water, tap water and sprinkler water to sit on my car for a week trying to see if it would etch through my protection and the only thing I had to do is wash the car and all the spots disappeared. This is after they have baked in the sun for a week.

If your paint is protected and you still have a water spot issue, then either your protection is suspect or maybe it was not properly applied. Now bird poop is another animal but even that stuff hasn't been an issue for me.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 11-03-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #79
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Here's the thing with any type of protection. If water spots are sticking to the finish and requiring more than soap and water to remove them, then the protection isn't working. I have allowed rain water, tap water and sprinkler water to sit on my car for a week trying to see if it would etch through my protection and the only thing I had to do is wash the car and all the spots disappeared. This is after they have baked in the sun for a week.

If you paint is protected and you still have a water spot issue, then either your protection is suspect or maybe it was not properly applied. Now bird poop is another animal but even that stuff hasn't been an issue for me.
Yeah, I've never had a problem with water spots, yet I read of them all the time on here. Protection is the key so many times in life
Old 11-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #80
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:53 PM   #81
WhiteCrane

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post

If your paint is protected and you still have a water spot issue, then either your protection is suspect or maybe it was not properly applied. Now bird poop is another animal but even that stuff hasn't been an issue for me.
Oh, I'm supposed to wash it? I thought I wouldn't get them in the first place. Would a runover with detail spray be okay instead?

Let's review my order: I made some small additions

2 grit guards

1 jumbo washpad

1 Adam's 16 OZ All Purpose Cleaner

1 Adam's 16 OZ Waterless Car Wash

2 Adam's Double Soft Premium Microfiber Towels

Adam's Hand Polish Combo - I doesn't seem right to ignore the polishing aspect.
16oz Detail SPray
16oz Swirl and HAze
16oz Revive Polish
1 Flip Polishing Pad

I just clayed my car. I don't need to clay it again.

This kit seems like a good value and a nice introduction to polishing I'd like to experiment with.

Buckets at Walmart

Now for the Sealant... put the guns down. I am strongly considering sticking with Liquid Glass. Soap and water is in fact all it takes to remove my water spots. I assumed that I simply wouldn't get spot with a sealant used, but Junkman has educated me. I don't know anything about detailing. I thought with a good sealant, dirt would not even get on the car to begin with. Woops.

Adam's doesn't have a sealant I can apply by hand. Adam's Americana Premium Paste Wax is Carnuba. Carnuba doesn't last long.

Last edited by WhiteCrane; 11-04-2010 at 12:31 AM.
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:09 AM   #82
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Here's what I would change about your order. Get a gallon and a 16 ounce bottle of Detail Spray. Trust me, you'll go through that stuff like water and thank me later. Also, here are some things that you need to know about working by hand.

Revive polish does not have as much cut as Fine Machine Polish (FMP) does. That's one of the reasons that I say your paint needs to be close to perfect if you are going to work by hand. Add to that the fact that the use of a PC is going to enhance your results 10-fold on some messed up paint and those reasons alone would make me go with a machine polishing kit. Also, Machine Superwax (MSW) can be applied by hand, it is just desgned to be applied by machine. If you look at the consistency of the product that you are using compared to MSW, you will see that MSW is much thicker. That works in your advantage in the form of protection. All sealants are not equal.

You can always upgrade and get the polisher and FMP later if you don't like the results that you get by hand. It's not like you'll need to buy a bunch of different stuff. You'll pretty much have everything you need already.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #83
SmokinBills 2SS

Drives: 2SS Cammed up, Clear Bra, Clean
Is this guy driving to work in the morning and useing his wiper/washers to defrost the ouitside of the windshield. if so, thats where your getting the spots and ruffness from.white lime spots sounds like washer fluid to me
SmokinBills 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #84
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinBills 2SS View Post
Is this guy driving to work in the morning and useing his wiper/washers to defrost the ouitside of the windshield. if so, thats where your getting the spots and ruffness from.white lime spots sounds like washer fluid to me
You totally lost me. What roughness are you talking about?