Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-30-2014, 05:18 PM   #15

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
So, Z-man....Bummer if that was your "home-track" and you're not happy with the pavement....Now what?...lol....

BTW, in days gone by I have heard that the inability to make adjustments on the suspension may be a negative on the car....just wondering....Good luck....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #16
Need4speed_motorsports

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Seems like a driver mod is required in this scenario.
Need4speed_motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #17
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
So, Z-man....Bummer if that was your "home-track" and you're not happy with the pavement....Now what?...lol....

BTW, in days gone by I have heard that the inability to make adjustments on the suspension may be a negative on the car....just wondering....Good luck....
Thunderhill and Sear Point is all I have. Miller if I feel like going East but there is no elevation change there, I hate flat tracks. Spring Mountain is a painful 7 hours south, and I'm burned out on that drive

I'm screwed and I'm really unhappy. But there is nothing I can do about it, though I've tried for years as an advocate and ambassador for the local track. It's currently leased by someone who just doesn't give a crap about it, and it's owned by a private equity group who got saddled with it in 2007. It's an asset they simply plan to milk until it literally crumbles to pieces (happening now).

The B and C configs are (were) the most technically challenging of any track in the USA (I'd argue). Ex F1 driver Brain Redman consulted on the design of the top half which is now not used due to condition.

I've bitched about the track surface for years, but now the bumps are far worse than they have ever been. Think frost heaves, or whoop de doos...lol. Others bailed on the track years ago, but now even I have to finally say hasta la vista MF's!

Suspension adjustment is well understood by few people, Chevy did the best thing by tuning it to smooth tracks. It was awesome on smooth Thunderhill, very confidence inspiring. Bumpy track, it feels like you are going to break something, put a strut through a shock tower, whatever.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:45 PM   #18

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I went to Spring Mountain for the first time a little while ago....I think they have added a lot of new track fairly recently....Might be worth another look....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:51 PM   #19
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Big deal. F1 teams spend 2 million to build the car and 300 million in yearly R and D. Guess what? They lose every 2 weeks. So it's ok to lose out here.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #20
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
...I've bitched about the track surface for years, but now the bumps are far worse than they have ever been. Think frost heaves, or whoop de doos...lol. Others bailed on the track years ago, but now even I have to finally say hasta la vista MF's!

Suspension adjustment is well understood by few people, Chevy did the best thing by tuning it to smooth tracks. It was awesome on smooth Thunderhill, very confidence inspiring. Bumpy track, it feels like you are going to break something, put a strut through a shock tower, whatever.
Wow, that's terrible; can't believe someone would flush a great track down the drain like that! A lot of folks who ask me about ride quality think I'm exaggerating when I talk about how, on some of the Third World-quality CA roads, I feel like I need a kidney belt. The suspension is brilliant, but is calibrated for what most track surfaces are like. It is brutal on anything less, and will rearrange your internal organs...
Old 06-30-2014, 06:11 PM   #21
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
There is a big difference between someone running flat out, and preseving your car so you can drive it home. That track surface is hammered, I would have just left after I saw the surface. In any case these kind of events are just normal guys running their cars for fun. Each has a comfort level of how hard they want to push it. I have been to the track and ran faster than many cars that should have smoked me. Did I wax them, no I had less to risk and more comfortable threshold.

This thread reads like.....
Dude I smoked a new Corvette in my 4 cylinder S10 with a K&N.

Umm you do realize was busy reading a map?
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:13 PM   #22
Zfatuated

Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
Wow, that's terrible; can't believe someone would flush a great track down the drain like that! A lot of folks who ask me about ride quality think I'm exaggerating when I talk about how, on some of the Third World-quality CA roads, I feel like I need a kidney belt. The suspension is brilliant, but is calibrated for what most track surfaces are like. It is brutal on anything less, and will rearrange your internal organs...
I have always been dumbfounded by the willingness to let it die a death of neglect but so it is. For all the money and tracking enthusiasts in the Western states it's a shame we have no new(ish) decent tracks other than Spring Mountain and Thermal, and it's miserable to be at those in the summer. Thankfully TH is now three tracks- East, West and the Five Mile whole shebang.

Stiff suspension = bad for rough pavement (and kidneys! lol)

Old 06-30-2014, 06:13 PM   #23
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I don't know if to believe those times. They can't even spell a Camaro. How could they operate a timing system.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:16 PM   #24
Zfatuated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
There is a big difference between someone running flat out, and preseving your car so you can drive it home. That track surface is hammered, I would have just left after I saw the surface. In any case these kind of events are just normal guys running their cars for fun. Each has a comfort level of how hard they want to push it. I have been to the track and ran faster than many cars that should have smoked me. Did I wax them, no I had less to risk and more comfortable threshold.

This thread reads like.....
Dude I smoked a new Corvette in my 4 cylinder S10 with a K&N.

Umm you do realize was busy reading a map?
Well said Todd

Old 06-30-2014, 06:19 PM   #25
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog@Reno,NV View Post
I have to pass this on to you. My main sales guy sends me this e-mail this morning after hearing me rattle on for months about the ZL1 (that's what I bought 3 months ago) and then the new Z28 and it's "Ring" times and so on...

He simply said, " the driver is more important than the car".

This Subaru guy is a friend of my guy's friend and was at the track that day. He told my guy that the Subaru guy attended this school...

http://skipbarber.com/indycar-academy/

Look at some of the other cars on the list. One is another Camaro he beat by over 10 seconds!
YES, by far its the driver that counts also. When I track my car I have never been on a track, I am sure I will get passed, as long as I do not bend the $75k car. Give me some one else Z that does not care and I am sure I will do better.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:23 PM   #26
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS, 2009 GTR
FRS/BRZ are light, quick and good in the corners. And with a good driver are something to be watched.

I've auto crossed with a kid and his brand new FRS, the car was on point, the kid was meh, though the car pulled him through the course with some good times

And as for the spelling generally they use what you put on the sheet when you sign up, so maybe that Chev Camero owner on the bottom misspelled it.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:57 PM   #27
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
The first time I track a car, or the first time I am on a new track, you could time me with a sun dial. Without all the facts, these comparisons do not mean anything.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:37 PM   #28
Zfatuated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylane765 View Post
YES, by far its the driver that counts also. When I track my car I have never been on a track, I am sure I will get passed, as long as I do not bend the $75k car. Give me some one else Z that does not care and I am sure I will do better.
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrinda View Post
The first time I track a car, or the first time I am on a new track, you could time me with a sun dial. Without all the facts, these comparisons do not mean anything.
That's funny!

Look, tracking is all about fun and camaraderie. Everyone has a learning curve and that's that. Times improve as car control, confidence and consistency improve. Newbies are expected to be slow and trying to be fast before you've earned your skills only makes you slow Nothing better than a newbie who has left his ego at the gate and is ready to learn.

Running Time Trials or Club Trials is something *some* drivers choose to do after they have earned competency and car control skills. TT/CT allows folks to channel the competitive juices in a direction that is far safer and far lower cost than door to door racing which is a whole other animal. Not all event hosts offer timed events.

PS- I write the above for the benefit of folks thinking about going to the track, maybe for the first time, and worried that afterwards someone is going to post up "hey a Yugo smoked a Z/28 driver! What a loser!"...lol! It likely won;t happen and even if it does, who cares, and F'em! You were driving your car on a racetrack!

Last edited by Zfatuated; 06-30-2014 at 07:48 PM.