Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 11-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
What's the difference between professional tune and doing it yourself?

Is there a performance advantage to having a tune done by someone like Livernois Motor Sports for $800 -vs- buying a Diablo style digital tuner?

I talked to Livernois and they won't do a tune without replacing the CAI I already have with their CAI. I don't have a reason to replace my CAI but I still wanted to get the tune.

Talked to fellow Camaro owner that swears by the Diablo digital tuner he purchased. Is there difference between a professional tune and a tune you can do yourself? What other digital tuners have you guys used and did you like them?

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
the diablo tuner is a generic tune that is safe for any vehicle. A dyno tune is customized for your car getting the most rwhp out of it while still being safe.

also, moved to the tuning section
Old 11-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
OHIOSS
Russ

Thanks for moving, I looked for a place to post but didn't notice this forum.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
800 is way to high for a dyno tune... and if you do go w/ a handheld go SCT and not Diablo, especially if you have an auto. Diablo does not tune the auto transmisson part.

If you are in the proximity of a good tuner who has a lifetime tune guarantee I would go that route. Otherwise there are some good vendors on here like Ted Jannettey who can do custom tunes for the SCT tuner. Either way I think you will be pleased...
Old 11-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
Andy@Livernois

Drives: 1987 Buick Regal Turbo-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
800 is way to high for a dyno tune... and if you do go w/ a handheld go SCT and not Diablo, especially if you have an auto. Diablo does not tune the auto transmisson part.

If you are in the proximity of a good tuner who has a lifetime tune guarantee I would go that route. Otherwise there are some good vendors on here like Ted Jannettey who can do custom tunes for the SCT tuner. Either way I think you will be pleased...
Just an FYI, the $800 would have included a cold air intake, labor to install, a dyno tune and tax, not just a tune (assuming the car is stock besides the cold air intake). Just wanted to make certain the information is our there accurately.

However, compared to the $600 for the complete dyno tuning, including transmission tuning (if an auto). Compared to the package offering you pay $200 for the CAI, labor to install, and tax. We just want to offer what we feel is the best deal for the customer in the long run.
Andy@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy@Livernois View Post
Just an FYI, the $800 would have included a cold air intake, labor to install, a dyno tune and tax, not just a tune (assuming the car is stock besides the cold air intake). Just wanted to make certain the information is our there accurately.

However, compared to the $600 for the complete dyno tuning, including transmission tuning (if an auto). Compared to the package offering you pay $200 for the CAI, labor to install, and tax. We just want to offer what we feel is the best deal for the customer in the long run.
If he already has a cold air kit then why are you trying to make him buy yours?
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
Andy@Livernois

Drives: 1987 Buick Regal Turbo-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
If he already has a cold air kit then why are you trying to make him buy yours?
This may depend on results we have seen with our offering versus his, now of course if it's the same exact intake, it wouldn't apply. We devise our package offerings to include what we feel is the best results in fitment, performance, and quality. Because of this we make package offerings that are better pricing to ensure a quality end product.

Now, we would have never said we wont tune it, or wont use the customer's cold air, it would have been addressed just like this. That we can tune it for XXX price or we have this price that includes these parts for XXX which would allow you to sell your intake and recoup XXX of the cost while being able to give you an accurate HP figure for your end result, and have our warranty included with it.
Andy@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
if your car is almost stock then you can use the generic tune. they are usually pretty good. but if you add headers or more than you really should get a professional tune.
what CAI do you have now?
Parag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
OHIOSS
Russ

Thanks guys for the info. I don't have an automatic, 2SS/RS/M6. I have not had anything done as far as programming of any kind.

Andy- If you guys are willing to do a tune and I don't have to buy your CAI I will likely go that route. I am going to have you guys to a cam change but not in the near future. Please let me know what you would charge for a tune only without a CAI.

I live south of Toledo so I would prefer to wait to have the work done -vs- dropping off the car and having to run back up to get it. If I make an appointment can the tune be done while I wait? How long does it typically take?

Russ
Old 11-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Dyno tune (with street tuning included to fine tune everything ) should run about $500.00
$350.00 - $400.00 for the tuning and about $100.00 for the dyno time.

I personally like getting my car dyno/street tuned. That way my tuner can drive around with me in my car making adjustments as needed. Sometimes it can take a while to get a tune 100% exactly the way you want it.

About an $ 800.00 tune.
There's a performance shop in my area tried to charge a Camaro5.com member $800.00 just to tune his L99 A6. I sent him to someone else that actually has a lot more experience for hundreds of dollars less.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #11
JDP Tech

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS 429 LSX/F1X
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
Dyno tune (with street tuning included to fine tune everything ) should run about $500.00
$350.00 - $400.00 for the tuning and about $100.00 for the dyno time.

I personally like getting my car dyno/street tuned. That way my tuner can drive around with me in my car making adjustments as needed. Sometimes it can take a while to get a tune 100% exactly the way you want it.

About an $ 800.00 tune.
There's a performance shop in my area tried to charge a Camaro5.com member $800.00 just to tune his L99 A6. I sent him to someone else that actually has a lot more experience for hundreds of dollars less.
Agreed 100%. A dyno/street tune in person is the best way to go, and shouldn't cost more than $400 or $500, unless its some monster car.
JDP Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #12
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
From what I've seen on here you can't go wrong with Jannetty. That's who I'd use if thunder racing wasn't a block from me. They come pick up my car when something needs changing.
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:56 PM   #13
siriusdish

Drives: 2010 Camaro L99
Did U talk to IPS?
vararam intake, Vmax TB,Vmax Intake,TSP VVT 3 Cam,TSP underdrive pulley,Yank 3600,TM Cooler,ARH 2", High Flow cats, X-pipe, GM Pro mufflers, RX Catch Can,160 stat, BMR Trailing,toe,Cradle insert, Diff. Bushings, End links, Spohn-LCA's (Touring)Wheel spacer's. 422 rwhp Mustang Dyno http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaFNAhCL7Os
siriusdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:36 AM   #14
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post

I live south of Toledo so I would prefer to wait to have the work done -vs- dropping off the car and having to run back up to get it. If I make an appointment can the tune be done while I wait? How long does it typically take?

Russ
i would honesty just get a mail tune from them. yes its better to get a dyno tune, but they have done so many tunes with a CAI. its very easy to give you a simple map(tune) that will pretty much get it right. its not worth driving up there IMO
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote