Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Question Frustrated with my quarter times.. suggestions?

Alright, so what gives? I went to the track this weekend. 75 degrees, a little humid but not too bad, took extra weight out of the car, less than a quarter tank of gas. Running a BBK CAI, ported throttle body, ported IM and black ice, with new-ish tires and aftermarket exhaust. I tried running this summer and was getting mid-15's times but I blamed that on how ridiculously hot it was. But my best run Friday night was a 15.44. I should be low 14's and I'm REALLY frustrated.

I'm not spinning; my reaction time is good; I just don't get what the problem is. The only thing I can think of that would be making my quarter times what they are is a CAI that isn't performing very well. Do I need to get a Vararam, maybe? I don't want CAI inc. I don't like how they look. And I can't have an Injen longtube because a lot of roads around here flood in the winter and I drive through water. I don't want to worry about hydrolocking. I got the BBK because it looks amazing under the hood with everything else I've done (chrome and aqua blue) and promised similar gains to other manufacturers. I really don't want to fork out the money for another CAI but it's the only thing I can think of, and this is pissing me off.

Anyone have any ideas? I can post the slips if I need to.

The only highlight of the night was spanking a newer model GTO. The rest of the night I was just getting mad.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Post your time slip so we can analyze it.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Yes, post your time slip to see what's going on

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
usafboy

Drives: 2010 Silver SS/RS LS3
Elevation? Humidity? By the way where did you race at?
Mods...so far: resonator/muffler delete, tinted everything, '13 shift knob/boot, bowtie delete, PFADT sway bars, CAI intake, Hurst short shifter, JBA cat deletes, BMR trailing arms/outer bushings/steering rack bushing, Bo White ported TB.
Rhino79 Dyno tuned...405 HP/399 TQ
usafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

OK here you go. I'm on the right obviously. It wasn't that humid, not enough to make me lose over a second in the quarter, I don't think. Racing at Tulsa. Not super low elevation... my times ranged from 15.76-15.44.

This is against my boyfriend's SS (A6). He was running low 14's, definitely not what the SS is capable of either.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
lscamaro

Your 60' was pretty bad. You were spinning quite a bit. Especially if your running the p-zeros. I run 2.2 60' on my bf goodrich crappy all seasons

Old 10-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
lscamaro

Also don't know if something is going on with that top end. Your trapping incredibly low. You should be trapping in the 95-98 MPH range at least.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Your 60' was pretty bad. You were spinning quite a bit. Especially if your running the p-zeros. I run 2.2 60' on my bf goodrich crappy all seasons
I didn't feel myself spinning. Sigh. How can I correct that? I skip the waterbox best I can and burnout a little before sidling up to the tree. I'm running it up to about 1800 rpm pre-launch, FYI

Quote:
Also don't know if something is going on with that top end. Your trapping incredibly low. You should be trapping in the 95-98 MPH range at least.
I thought the trap was really low, too! And every slip I have I'm trapping between 89-91mph.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
Curious to the advice you get. I'm not qualified to give drag racing tips.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
lscamaro

You running pirellis correct? I usually launch at around 1000 rpm. Do you burnout before you race?

Old 10-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #11
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Quote:
You running pirellis correct? I usually launch at around 1000 rpm. Do you burnout before you race?
I try to skip the waterbox and yeah I do a little burnout beforehand. Yes, Pirellis.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
lscamaro

Try launching at around 1000-1200 rpms. You should feel when it spins for a little then goes. Try feeling at what rpm to launch at so that the spinning is minimal. You have all the nannies on? How do you launch? Foot all the way to the floor as soon as it turns green or slowly get on the throttle?

Old 10-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #13
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Quote:
Try launching at around 1000-1200 rpms. You should feel when it spins for a little then goes. Try feeling at what rpm to launch at so that the spinning is minimal. You have all the nannies on? How do you launch? Foot all the way to the floor as soon as it turns green or slowly get on the throttle?
All the nannies on. I am not feeling my wheels spin; guess that's my biggest problem foot all the way to the floor when it turns green. Guess I need to ease off a bit at launch.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #14
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
On the Pirellis I would do a pretty good burn out. Lower the pressure to around 28 psi to start with. Launch at about 1000 and if you see your 60' go down then keep launching a bit harder until you stop seeing progress on the 60'. Then lower the tire pressure a bit more and repeat. I personally wouldn't lower the pressure below 25 psi, but I've seen others say they go as low as 23 psi.