Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-30-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
jpsuperman81
Yep I'm back!

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 1SS 1LE
Borla or Corsa?

Now I realize gmpp catback is made by Borla which is nice I think. However I'm sure borla will offer nicer after market setups or hope they will. Aren't these about the top two companies for v8 exhaust, should anyone else be considered. Never had any kind of car to worry about this kind of exhaust before just a few silverado's with flowmasters. I know borla is tops and I know corsa is up there too, lingenfelter uses corsa with all of their packages right.

Now I found the corsa site very user firendly they had sounds of ls3 corvetter with the 3 different exhaust options. I didn't find borlas site as user friendly not sure if they have direct links to sound/videos or not, I'm sure stuff can be found on youtube etc...

So thoughts, input, advice, discussion? I figured emissions legality won't be a problem I have illegal tint now and a guy to handle my inspections I doubt if he will mind passing me for exahust.

Edit: I might add I want some deep throaty v8 sound, i like it loud. My civic is fairly loud sets off alarms and is not high pitched like most ricer cars. I want sound that will make the mustangs/challengers tremble. There aren't a lot of challengers around here yet but i'm sure they will pop up in due time. There are a lot of mustangs around here some of which sound really really good.
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuperman81 View Post
Now I realize gmpp catback is made by Borla which is nice I think. However I'm sure borla will offer nicer after market setups or hope they will. Aren't these about the top two companies for v8 exhaust, should anyone else be considered. Never had any kind of car to worry about this kind of exhaust before just a few silverado's with flowmasters. I know borla is tops and I know corsa is up there too, lingenfelter uses corsa with all of their packages right.

Now I found the corsa site very user firendly they had sounds of ls3 corvetter with the 3 different exhaust options. I didn't find borlas site as user friendly not sure if they have direct links to sound/videos or not, I'm sure stuff can be found on youtube etc...

So thoughts, input, advice, discussion? I figured emissions legality won't be a problem I have illegal tint now and a guy to handle my inspections I doubt if he will mind passing me for exahust.

Edit: I might add I want some deep throaty v8 sound, i like it loud. My civic is fairly loud sets off alarms and is not high pitched like most ricer cars. I want sound that will make the mustangs/challengers tremble. There aren't a lot of challengers around here yet but i'm sure they will pop up in due time. There are a lot of mustangs around here some of which sound really really good.
Borlas have droned on every car I've ever installed them on. It wasn't bad, but it was enough to not want to do it again. I'd go Corsa. One of their main selling points is they engineer their systems not to drone.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
Borlas have droned on every car I've ever installed them on. It wasn't bad, but it was enough to not want to do it again. I'd go Corsa. One of their main selling points is they engineer their systems not to drone.
As far as a verus battle, between Borla and Corsa, I think they're pretty close. In terms of power, catback (CB)-wise, I don't know that you'll gain much of a difference. I wonder, with all those chambers, if a Corsa muffler weighs anything more than, say, a Borla XR1 muffler, but aside from that, I think the biggest departure in the two are going to be sound. Personally, I have never taken to Corsa CBs, at least on the cars I've heard. However, they're both stainless and carry great warranties.

I'll admit that I had two XR1s installed on my dad's '02 Sierra and they droned a bit. They don't mind at all though. Some of that drone went away with mid-lenth headers.

My Borla CB drones a bit with manifolds but, suprisingly, doesn't at all with LT. That changes a bit with the cutout open

I think Borla does a better job at getting rid of lower end resonance, than say some Flowmasters I've had on cars. I think they sound better than Flowmasters up higher in the RPMs too, in some cases. I like that, with LTs, they let out a little restrained rasp, but don't kill it altogether.

I'm planning on either the OR-GMPP exhaust or a complete Borla CB if they have a Stinger-like system. I don't plan on going past shorties with this car, so I'll be pretty aggressive with my CB this time

Don't forget - there are a lot of other muffler companies out there that'll fit almost any price range. I'd recommend searching for sites, like ls1sounds.com, for sound bites. Even better, find other cars to sample exhaust.

JMVHO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
mousemotor

Drives: 2010 camaro ss,pontiac G6
i had corsa;s on my 2000 Z-28 great product, really can't go wrong with them, very high quality. I'll be putting them on my new SS when it gets here.
mousemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
Mblock66

Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
Flowmaster is the way to go. You can't get any better sound then the American Thunder series they make. I had it on my 1997 z28 and it was simply awesome.

And they are also the cheapest b/c they aren't Stainless.
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Sound is subjective to what you like .. I'm going to wait and hear what others do first ..Or I'll start with whatever magnaflow offers. Had it on my 04 cobra and loved the sound ...

Crowley
Old 03-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post
Flowmaster is the way to go. You can't get any better sound then the American Thunder series they make. I had it on my 1997 z28 and it was simply awesome.

They are cheaper, but rust easier, so keep that in mind. I had a pair on my dad's truck that didn't last four years, and we don't live in a coastal or mountain climate. Beware of some of their catbacks though. Some have been reported to be pretty restrictive. I don't think that'll be a problem with the dual exhaust design of this generation though

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
SAUCE

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS BLKonBLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuperman81 View Post

Ive been trying to figure this whole exhaust thing for a while and it seems to be a tough choice when you think about it. I think anybody on here will agree that Long tubes are a must. Not only for HP but it gives the car a whole new voice. Borla and Corsa are 2 great products but there are several others out there that are just as good. Exhaust is not rocket science so as far as HP goes they are all goin to be around the same. I would say the best thing for you is to go on you tube and search LS3 Corvette with borla, or corsa exhaust and longtubes and find what you like better. I like a louder more rasp exhaust so I prefer Borla over corsa anyday. Some others to look at are SLP loudmouth I, or Loudmouth II as well as Spintech. Between Borla,SLP, and Spintech those are my fave. If you want to be loud and quite go with a more muffled exhaust and slap on 2 elec cutouts. Once again Long tubes are a must In my OPINION!!!!!!!!

the older classic crowd will most likely have a diff opinion!! (with all do respect lol)

2SS RS
CGM
black panel
DT spoiler

Right off the bat:
CAI
FAST LSXr Intake
LT's
SLP loudmouth
SAUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Then again, It'll be tough for us in California to go long tubes. and still pass emmissions.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
neptonium2000

Drives: 1978 Trans Am
Borla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
neptonium2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:45 PM   #11
Bone'MaroSS

Drives: Cyber Grey SS
Corsa.
Bone'MaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:50 PM   #12
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Wait till they actually get models out. I know on the corvette forums sometimes they pick random members to get free exhaust (for road testing).

Borla is normally superior $$$ to Corsa IMO but it can be more vehicle specific.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:28 AM   #13
linkwpc
The punching cat

Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post

Old 03-31-2009, 05:40 AM   #14
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Corsa and Borla = too darn expensive.
I guess that's why I've had both on many of my cars (lol). I had Borla exhausts on my Fbodys and Corsa on my GTOs.
You get what you pay for and both are high quality excellent exhausts. It really comes down to the sound quality you're looking for.

In my opinion (from someone that's owned both exhausts more than once)
Corsa is the best overall exhaust for its uniquely bad axx sound and whisper quiet cruise. No other exhaust can match it. Borla comes close, but doesn't quite do it.

But I keep telling myself to save money and get something a little less expensive on my Camaro. Paying over $1000.00 for a catback exhaust is a little crazy.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote