Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 03-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
techsupport

Drives: 1ss, heritage grille cfh perf. mods
DIY: Installing steering wheel audio and phone controls on Camaro !

Well gm is finally listening. when i get mine in ill let you know what pins and terminal end numbers
#PIC5320: Adding Radio Steering Wheel Control Switch (RPO NZL) - (Jan 26, 2010)

Subject:Adding Radio Steering Wheel Control Switch (RPO NZL)

Models:2010 Chevrolet Camaro

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2388518&from=sm#ss1-2388518">Condition/Concern:

A customer may inquire if it is possible to install steering wheel mounted audio controls on a vehicle that was not originally built with that option.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2388518&from=sm#ss2-2388518">Recommendation/Instructions:

It is possible to install audio Steering Wheel Controls (SWC) at the customer's expense. This modification will require installation of the appropriate right hand steering wheel control switch, Steering Wheel Pad Accessory harness, and recalibration of the BCM. You may need to contact Techline Customer Support Center (TCSC) for a VCI number to recalibrate the BCM. Since this is not a warrantable repair, TCSC may charge a fee for this service.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

APPROXIMATE price of parts:
switch: 92219336 $25.45
harness (auto w/paddle shift): 92236307 $31.10
harness (manual): 92236309 $38.92

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
Old 03-24-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
techsupport

Just give me a few more days to get my parts and check wiring that way you can install and wire. That way all you pay for is the programming. Trust me the actual switch and harness is not hard. to run wire to the bcm isnt either but they will charge you like it is the most difficult thing in the world because they dont know what to do. If nothing else i will post bcm connector and pin number also steering wheel end that way you can hand it to them and they dont have to charge you for looking it up and "diagnosis" of how to install.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
techsupport

I am now the proud owner of a 1ss w/ steering wheel controls. all buttons work including mute and volume and even phone for onstar. Bring in document i posted earlier pic5320. doc id# 2388518 with you to service dept. I talked to techline assistance w josh he was very helpful you might let the tech know to talk to him so you can get it programmed. $50 programming fee from techline plus what dealer will charge to program and install harness if you chose to go that route. will post pics with instructions on how to install to trey and save you some money after i get home and off work. Thanks for all the patience and good luck. any questions feel free to message me and ask. WE HAVE VICTORY PEOPLE
Old 03-26-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
techsupport

Yes either order complete wheel or parts listed earlier for auto or stick. It works great.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
techsupport

sorry guys had some technical problems with my home computer had to charge laptop. anyways here goes as requested part numbers are as follows switch 92219336 harness for six speed manual 92236309 harness for auto w paddle shift 92236307.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
techsupport

first step as always is to disconnect the battery so as to not set off the airbags. dont be afraid of them if you are careful they are not a problem with no power. there is a small hole in the side of the steering wheel insert a small tool i use a flat blade pocket screw driver and push in on the metal tabs i took pics of the tabs w air bag off to show you what you are pushing against
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
techsupport

next remove the air bag connectors using that same screw driver carefully pry under the retainer to remove then pry up on connector and it will come lose same for both connectors
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
techsupport

next disconnect the wires by pressing in on one wire connectors and releasing retainer one going to steering wheel coil
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2010, 09:44 PM   #9
techsupport

next cut green tie strap or whatever color is there holding harness to wheel new harness comes with new retainers. then the fun part removing the silver trim ring around wheel basically it is just pressed into the rubber in the wheel. carefully pry it loos around the edges and it will come out
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2010, 09:50 PM   #10
techsupport

next remove the blank filler on right side of wheel and install new switch. next unplug harness from left switch and discard. install new harness to switches and press the silver trim ring back into wheel startin at inside of switches and moving out
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2010, 09:56 PM   #11
techsupport

then install new wires onto retainer making sure not to pinch any wires black on left green on right. then reinstall the air bag connectors pushing them in first then pushing in retainers fully finally just line up airbag and push it onto wheel firmly. reconnect battery and get your bcm programmed at dealer. side note the switch light will work right away but not the features themselves until you get it updated
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #12
techsupport

well guys sorry about the big pics had to load off of flash drive from work couldnt resize. I hope this helps and saves you some money and problems at the dealer. would love to hear if you are as successful as i am and if you have any questions ill check back tomorrow and every once in a while. like i said before $50 program fee they will charge from techline plus what they charge to install update in your bcm. again the guy at techline i talked to is josh and he said he would try and help and said i could give out his name to help in easier programming and less wait time. probably about an hour total to get program from gm and install in car. if they wont do it or say it cant be done let me know and ill do it at our dealer in alabama. far for some of you but hopefully you wont need it with all this info. thanks again for the support and thank you toasty for the document you found couldnt have gotten it taken care of without that..
Old 03-26-2010, 10:19 PM   #13
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
this is excellent dude !!!! great job !!!!!!!!
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:24 PM   #14
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
so how much are all the parts then plus the service charges? would just be nice to have the total cost all in one post. thanks so much for your diligence and work in getting this done for the community
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote