Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 02-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #43
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesh View Post
Well if you want to get technical you are giving your best times against magazine times. Go to our fastest list here and you get some real times. Fastest bones stock A6 is 12.87@109, Fastest with just bolt ons is 12.22@113, and Fastest with boltons with cam/heads is 11.62@121. If your gonna give your best might as well use our best as well. Then we do have some guys where with FI as well. Best FI on the A6 was 11.05@125. It all comes down to how much do you want to pay to play.
meant no disrespect.. Im just a regular guy that goes to track once in a blue.. so I went off one magazine site. then I look at dragtimes.com..
but yea there is a range.. not every Auto camaro SS makes 320wHP they are all different so some are faster then other... some drivers are better then others too.. every track different.. I ran 13.1 @ 108 all day at fayetteville.. when i went to temples, tx drag strip I couldnt run faster then 13.5 at that shitty track..

this why I am planning on supercharging my Camaro SS.. I dont want to lose to anyone.. especially a 4banger
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #44
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiller8006 View Post
And when I take out my seats and things, with me in mine it weighed 2900 and I weigh 160. I even have the sunroof. The cobalt can hit 330hp and depending on the boost level we can get a big torque spike of close to 400 at the wheels. This is with a good tune obviously.
Sounds about right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythezo6 View Post
If I get taken out by a cobalt, I'm selling this car. Period.
At least it's a Chevy! It wears an SS badge and it is a truly impressive car. I love the new Camaro's, I've been fortunate enough to drive multiple L99's and they are great! We'll probably pick one up in 2011 and I own a 1000 RWHP 73' Camaro so it's all in good fun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I feel obliged to tell you that a Saturn Ion (cousin to the Cobalt) has gone over 200 mph.
That is correct, the Cobalt SS/TC also beat the record at The Ring by over 13 seconds!!!! I believe it was within .5 seconds of the LS3 Camaro around that huge track. If it's a Chevy/GM I'm cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf6866 View Post
anything can be made to go fast...i could make my daily driver civic hatch back lighting quick, but whats the point...its still a civic. and this is not to disrespect the cobalt owners...those numbers are quite impressive and i much prefer a cobalt that can flex it muscles than a ricer any day!
True, but the Cobalt SS is fast stock. You could put a bunch of money into the Civic but like you said it's still a Civic. I love both cars so I'm pretty unbiased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ4Life View Post
cobalt should be about same as my old srt4 in performance they weight the same and both FWD..
with exhaust and FMIC and a little boost increase I was at 260wHP.. clutch was slipping a lil but was running a 13.1, 13.2 @108mph..
Camaro SS auto ran from what I checked 13.5 @ 107..
so its close.. if u race on highway cobalt will probably wins if he has 260wHP or higher..
remember stock for stock the camaro would win but the cobalt isnt stock..
at end my SRT had over 500HP and ran a best time of 11.6 @ 126 (on slicks)
and the fuel & HP performance mods only costed me $5,300 so really not expensive to turn these cars into monsters
The SRT4's can make crazy HP! I know of a few running around 650 WHP. At SEA LEVEL I think stock to stock the Camaro wins. Here in UT stock to stock the Cobalt wins..... Camaro at sea level against a tuned Cobalt, close race!!! It would really come down to the driver.

If it wears a bowtie I'm happy!
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #45
JDP Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSARME View Post
My twin turbo jet engine camaro will win.
As long as the flux capacitor is working properly!

Kind regards,
Old 02-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #46
JDP Motorsports

Quote:
My twin turbo jet engine camaro will win.
Quote:
I just pull the stick back and the thing moves fast.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #47
CaliEMT
Decepticons. . . MOBILIZE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black
Smile

Quote:
I have a cobalt ss tc with a couple bolt ons and tune and puts down over 330 who and close to 400 trq and have traps in the 115 mph range. But stock stage one will probably beat out the auto but is not beating a 6m camaro.
I have an L99 Camaro SS and I just put it in Manal Mode and use my TapShift and beat my cousins M6 SS Camaro. and my cousins been driving Manuals for years and years and my Camaro is my first muscle Car (previously owned trucks only). I agree the driver has so much to do with the result of a race but with the optimized shift points and not haveing to deal with the clutch and all I was able to beat him time and time again. I only regret that I cant hear my tires burn rubber every time it changes gear like my cousin HAHA I LOVE THAT SOUND. But owell . . " whats the name of the game? ? I winnnnn hehe!" I always tell my cousin that. Dont underestimate the L99. Its slower in Auto, but shift into M and MAN! WHOOO
CaliEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #48
mjf6866

Drives: 09 Challenger R/T 6-speed 3.92 rear
Location: sitting on an angry chair with angry walls that steal the air
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliEMT View Post
I have an L99 Camaro SS and I just put it in Manal Mode and use my TapShift and beat my cousins M6 SS Camaro. and my cousins been driving Manuals for years and years and my Camaro is my first muscle Car (previously owned trucks only). I agree the driver has so much to do with the result of a race but with the optimized shift points and not haveing to deal with the clutch and all I was able to beat him time and time again. I only regret that I cant hear my tires burn rubber every time it changes gear like my cousin HAHA I LOVE THAT SOUND. But owell . . " whats the name of the game? ? I winnnnn hehe!" I always tell my cousin that. Dont underestimate the L99. Its slower in Auto, but shift into M and MAN! WHOOO
same goes for the challenger. the autos are consistantly beating the 6-speeds in the 1/4 with a slight power disadvantage. goes to show how todays autos are not what they used to be. doesnt replaced the fun that a 6-speed offers, though!
-HopNot total package
-275/50-17 M&H drag radials on mustang cobra r's for track days
future mods:
-hurst shifter
-exhaust
-custom tune
-driver mod
mjf6866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #49
FC_GIBB

Drives: 2012 Impala LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf6866 View Post
anything can be made to go fast...i could make my daily driver civic hatch back lighting quick, but whats the point...its still a civic. and this is not to disrespect the cobalt owners...those numbers are quite impressive and i much prefer a cobalt that can flex it muscles than a ricer any day!

I'm with ya on this. I used to be a honda guy. Get a hatch or crx that weighs next to nothing a boost or spray a b-series motor, the things will suprise the hell outta you.
but in the end you still have a Civic.

I was weighing buying a new cobalt SS. But to me although not as quick, my V6 Gen5 was the better buy. Maybe it was the looks or nostalgia but Camaro won me over.

Cobalt SS/TC is still a bad ass little ride. Just didnt fall in love w/ it like the Camaro.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "'The United States of America", for an amount "up to, and including my life". That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it.
FC_GIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #50
cmiller8006

Drives: 2009 Cobalt SS/TC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC_GIBB View Post
I'm with ya on this. I used to be a honda guy. Get a hatch or crx that weighs next to nothing a boost or spray a b-series motor, the things will suprise the hell outta you.
but in the end you still have a Civic.

I was weighing buying a new cobalt SS. But to me although not as quick, my V6 Gen5 was the better buy. Maybe it was the looks or nostalgia but Camaro won me over.

Cobalt SS/TC is still a bad ass little ride. Just didnt fall in love w/ it like the Camaro.
Well the camaro does look better, I mean it is the new camaro. I went with the cobalt for the exact opposite reason lol, cheap easy modding and gas milage.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #51
FC_GIBB

Drives: 2012 Impala LTZ
Quote:
Well the camaro does look better, I mean it is the new camaro. I went with the cobalt for the exact opposite reason lol, cheap easy modding and gas milage.

it does seem like the Camaro V6 is getting its share of the aftermarket though, so after a while prices should start to drop. I'm not too keen on paying $500+ for just an axle back exhaust right now, I think I'll wait a lil while for the aftermarket vendors to play around and get some more competition. I paid less for a full cat-back on my truck.
I just want it to sound and look nice. I would've gotten the cobalt SS/TC, I used to be all into the sports compact scene, but I'm not too much of a speed demon.
Although not a very practical car to have, the V6 camaro was more practical for me as far a daily driving.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "'The United States of America", for an amount "up to, and including my life". That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it.
FC_GIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:40 PM   #52
Mike P

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT
Question

So did the OP Mcnamee end up racing the Cobalt SS/TC? I think this thread started at the end of this past January....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcnamee View Post
A guy at my work seems to think he can beat a new camaro ss or a new mustang gt or a new c6 corvette, with his cobalt turbo stage 1, I personally own a cobalt turbo stage 1 as my daily driver, its fast for what it is, and is faster then the 05-09 mustang gt's(with the stage 1 and mustang stock), but I highly doubt its faster then a new camaro ss!

Stock , these cobalts run 13.9 in the 1/4 (which he has a video and time slip to prove in his car before the stage 1 tune) and make 237wheel hp & 258 wheel ft lbs, with the stage kit I'm not sure exactly what they run but it brings it up to almost 300 wheel horsepower and over 300 wheel torque in a 2900 lb car with an Limited slip diff factory, equiped with a 5 speed standard with a lunch control feature and no lift shit which keeps the boost of the turbo up high while u shift so you don't lose the boost. Obviously the FWD gives it a bit of a loss but its 1000 lbs less.

What do you guys think, my parents own a 2010 camaro ss with the L99 and he keeps saying it'll beat it cuz apparently they run "14's in the 1/4" and i just laughed when he said that... I think the camaro ss would beat it but hes seems to think otherwise.

391 RWHP & 356 RWTQ (VMS Mustang Dyno & Bad DA Day)

Best Time: 12.517 @ 115.02mph w/ 1.97 60' time - (on stock 18" AS Tires)
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #53
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
So did the OP Mcnamee end up racing the Cobalt SS/TC? I think this thread started at the end of this past January....

I dont know. I think basically it would be a drivers race at the strip
when my SRT4 had 270wHP I had a best run of 13.1 @ 107.5mph
he said that Cobalt has close to 300wHP so should be closer trap speed to camaro ss.. I think its good race if the cobalt guy can drive.. high HP fwd's are hard to launch..

maybe its all talk no one going to race anyone
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:09 PM   #54
Mike P

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT
Yep....

391 RWHP & 356 RWTQ (VMS Mustang Dyno & Bad DA Day)

Best Time: 12.517 @ 115.02mph w/ 1.97 60' time - (on stock 18" AS Tires)
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote