Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-09-2013, 05:12 AM   #757
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
Try a years worth of 20 rep squats 3x a week...you will put on a ton of mass...

Full body exercises such as squats and deads are the best mass builders, that and lots of high quality food.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #758
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Full body exercises such as squats and deads are the best mass builders, that and lots of high quality food.
+1
Old 05-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #759
JambaJuiced

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE AGM
I have am fairly new to the workout scene... consistent for about 4 years now...main issue I have had is aches and pains...and injuries here and there...I will be 44 years old...

That being said...as for dead lifts...they were probably the single biggest contributor for me for both mass and strength...I only started doing them about a year ago...they helped me plateau from 295lbs to reach my goal of 315lbs on flat and decline...

And of course as was said earlier...diet...
JambaJuiced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #760
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JambaJuiced View Post
I have am fairly new to the workout scene... consistent for about 4 years now...main issue I have had is aches and pains...and injuries here and there...I will be 44 years old...

That being said...as for dead lifts...they were probably the single biggest contributor for me for both mass and strength...I only started doing them about a year ago...they helped me plateau from 295lbs to reach my goal of 315lbs on flat and decline...

And of course as was said earlier...diet...

44, wait till your my age lol I'm 58. Deads used to be one of my favorite lifts but now because of aches and pains I do partial rep deads and favor squats. Looking back I think squats are more productive, at lest for me as they are more forgiving to old joints and various injuries I've suffered through. I've had some serious broken bones including a partially detached foot due to a major bike accident.

All in all full body lifts of some sort should be the biggest part of any mass gaining program.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #761
JambaJuiced

Dang!!!...58!...

Keep it going strong dude!

My workout partner was 65...very knowledgeable and I learned a lot...he was pretty strong too which helped a lot...until he went down for the count with a shoulder injury that required surgery and he has not been back since =(
Old 05-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #762
CFD

Quote:
Dang!!!...58!...

Keep it going strong dude!

My workout partner was 65...very knowledgeable and I learned a lot...he was pretty strong too which helped a lot...until he went down for the count with a shoulder injury that required surgery and he has not been back since =(

I'm planning on it, I do ok for an old man lol
Old 05-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #763
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
44, wait till your my age lol I'm 58. Deads used to be one of my favorite lifts but now because of aches and pains I do partial rep deads and favor squats. Looking back I think squats are more productive, at lest for me as they are more forgiving to old joints and various injuries I've suffered through. I've had some serious broken bones including a partially detached foot due to a major bike accident.

All in all full body lifts of some sort should be the biggest part of any mass gaining program.
You know it's funny...I keep hearing the same thing no matter how old I get....funny thing is at almost 41 I'm the strongest I've ever been and I believe in the best overall shape I have ever been in and I don't plan on going backwards as I age.

The squat has been scientifically proven to be the best exercise for naturally produced growth hormone and it's not even close. Deadlifts are a distant second, every other weight exercise is insignificant with regards to growth hormone production.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #764
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Last night was suppose to be dynamic squat but I'll be missing Saturdays squat workout due to the Southern nationals being rescheduled. So I did 3 sets of 2 with 275 + average bands off a 4" below parallel box...then...

315 x 3 x 2
365 x 1 x 2
405 x 1 x 1
455 x 1 x 1

All done off 4" below parallel box and + average bands...

Then hammer strength row, worked up to 6 plates on each side for 6...
Curls, calves, abs blah blah blah blah...

Sat in the sauna for 10 mins then had my once a week little ceasars

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 05-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #765
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

And for you guys with nagging joint problems...

My right elbow for a month has been killing me. Wakes me up at night sometimes...bad shooting pain.

Tried everything normal without going to the doc. Ice, heat, ibuprofen, tens unit, ultrasound, massage, ointments, etc....Nothing has made it any better.

So Friday night I bought some of this...

http://www.australiandream.com/

Applying 3 times a day...Saturday nothing....Sunday nothing....I figured just another worthless ointment. Then by Monday night better...Tuesday was bench/shoulder/tricep day....got worse obviously...yesterday better...today its a very minimal discomfort.

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 05-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #766
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
You know it's funny...I keep hearing the same thing no matter how old I get....funny thing is at almost 41 I'm the strongest I've ever been and I believe in the best overall shape I have ever been in and I don't plan on going backwards as I age.

The squat has been scientifically proven to be the best exercise for naturally produced growth hormone and it's not even close. Deadlifts are a distant second, every other weight exercise is insignificant with regards to growth hormone production.

I'm not sure if I'm the strongest I've ever been because I don't lift as heavy as say about 5-6 yrs ago although I think I can easily beat my best of that period. If I lift heavy I'm forced to take time off because of pain from old injuries. My squats are limited to the 225-235 range as opposed to close to 300 a few years ago but I go low and utilize higher rep ranges, when I cut I'm definitely ripped but don't usually cut below 10-12% any more as I just don't feel good in the single digits. I guess age does matter lol.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #767
JambaJuiced

That is pretty cool that you guys are still lifting so heavy...I feel I am at the max that I feel comfortable doing...I take cosequin for my joints and it has helped a lot for joint pain...

However, its something I have always dealt with...I am good with only tossing up 3 wheels on the flat and decline...even with squats I only do sets at 225lbs...plenty for me...
Old 05-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #768
CFD

Quote:
That is pretty cool that you guys are still lifting so heavy...I feel I am at the max that I feel comfortable doing...I take cosequin for my joints and it has helped a lot for joint pain...

However, its something I have always dealt with...I am good with only tossing up 3 wheels on the flat and decline...even with squats I only do sets at 225lbs...plenty for me...
I'm a firm believer in some sort of progressive resistance. I always try to add a little more weight or do a few more reps, even if in very small increments. That's how you grow/get stronger. If you always do for example, squats with 225 lbs and 6 reps you will only be able to do 6 reps @ 225 lbs. Always add something. Another thing is attack your muscles in different ways, for example you can do curls, hammer curls, wide grip, narrow grip etc. this way you incorporate more muscle fibre which will also add growth and strength.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #769
JambaJuiced

I do...but more mixing up the routine...different lifts here and there...sometimes start with dumbbells vs bar...etc...

But when I do squats that is all I go for...I am good where I am at...

It is ruff lifting more and more...it starts to wear and tear on me...hence why I cap things off...if I feel good then I try more otherwise risking injury is something I do not want to have happen again...the last time I was down for 6 months and even though I am stronger I have never fully recovered...

But I totally understand what you are saying...thanks for the good info
Old 05-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #770
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
I do...but more mixing up the routine...different lifts here and there...sometimes start with dumbbells vs bar...etc...

But when I do squats that is all I go for...I am good where I am at...

It is ruff lifting more and more...it starts to wear and tear on me...hence why I cap things off...if I feel good then I try more otherwise risking injury is something I do not want to have happen again...the last time I was down for 6 months and even though I am stronger I have never fully recovered...

But I totally understand what you are saying...thanks for the good info
If all you ever do is 225 you will eventually go backwards.

How old are you? If you aren't over about 35 and pushing yourself and lifting heavy causes you pain and makes you feel rundown chances are you are using the wrong muscles when you are doing your main exercise and going heavy.

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody