Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

Old 12-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
ttfitz

Drives: 1986 Dark Blue Metallic Camaro
86 Camaro repair advice needed

I have an 1986 Camaro, nothing particularly special about it except for the fact that it is the first car I ever bought and I almost literally drove it off the lot directly after they took it off the truck from the factory.

Now here it is almost exactly 27 years later, and it won't pass inspection because there is a short in the system that keeps blowing out the fuse for the horn. My mechanic has traced the problem to the rear tailgate, in particular somewhere in the third brake light located in a housing at the top of the hatch. GM no longer stocks parts for this car, and what he is suggesting is replacing the whole tailgate with one he has located online, I think.

Now, I'm not much good with cars, but it just seems outrageous to replace the whole thing like that at the cost of hundreds of dollars (as well as hundreds more to paint it - it is apparently white and my car is dark blue metallic) just because of a short in a wire.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or suggestions of what I could do? I live in the Northern Virginia area, just in case anyone might have specific information on places I could take it.

Thanks.
ttfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
Welcome to the site! I spent a couple years in McLean, so I know where you're at

Anyway, you may want to reach out to Hawk's Third Gen Parts -- they can probably get you something much cheaper (and perhaps way easier than replacing the hatch). www.hawksthirdgenparts.com (you may need to give them a call to get some tech help, though).

You may also want to try a search on www.thirdgen.org or posting something in their electrical section. I'm sure someone with intimate familiarity will be able to help! Best of luck!
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
ttfitz

Drives: 1986 Dark Blue Metallic Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
You may also want to try a search on www.thirdgen.org or posting something in their electrical section. I'm sure someone with intimate familiarity will be able to help! Best of luck!
Thanks for the link, I've done as you suggested and posted my problem there. Hopefully someone somewhere will know what to do.

I've had this car for so long it's like part of the family.
ttfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
Definitely check back and let us know what they help you to diagnose to be the culprit!
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
Cadaver Puncher
Resident asshole

Drives: 92 Camaro rs ( not stock) lol
• take the light apart
• get some wire
• get a soldering gun
- here comes the fun part
• remove ALL the wiring from light to fusebox.
• install new wire
• make sure ALL grounds are good and have a clean contact point. ( wire wheel or sand down to bare metal, attach ground, spray a coat of clear over it to keep rust away, then if so inclined paint to match car.)

Hope that will solve it. 90% of electrical problem are from cheap ass wire ( thanks GM . They look for the cheapest that will just get the job done.) or bad grounds.