Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 04-02-2019, 03:26 PM   #1
ScaryFatKidGT

Drives: NGM SS 1LE
1LE splitter grill and aero

So over the winter I have broke my lip/splitter and my lower grill the bumper if fine tho.

So do they make a more durable lip that is either a OEM replica or similar to the OE 1LE lip? It doesn't have to be nerf foam but something that just doesn't explode into a million pieces with the lightest tap? Also kind of pissed to find out it's screwed in, riveted and mounting tapped on.....

Does the entire front fascia need to be removed in order to replace the lower grill? If so I think I'm going to replace the upper grill with the ZL1 flow tie.
ScaryFatKidGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:31 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i would just go with oem gm parts mine has been great cept that damn parking block i almost ran over lol
Old 04-02-2019, 03:52 PM   #3
ScaryFatKidGT

Drives: NGM SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i would just go with oem gm parts mine has been great cept that damn parking block i almost ran over lol
LOL I pulled up to a curb wasn't close enough so I rolled back and blipped the clutch, felt the lightest bump put the e-brake on, got out and it was all cracked, then I pulled up to a snowbank that turned out to be a solid foundation of ice running for several blocks and finished her off.

I'm thinking of just having the dealer replace it due to the rivets..... but $550 man

Still want to know if the bumper requires removing.
ScaryFatKidGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:57 PM   #4
kropscamaro16

yea mine has a fat hole underneath it it sucks and you dont need to remove bumper to replace that , but the grill yes you would have to remove
Old 04-02-2019, 06:17 PM   #5
eimarshall

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE Hyperblue
For the splitter, you don't have to remove the bumper. No idea about the grill though. I would assume you'd have to take it off though.

I went through ACS, but had it painted locally. saved a couple bills. Its still hard plastic though. I haven't seen a rubber one or anything.

I did check out Lethal Camaro's front camera mount solution. it seems pretty slick but definitely a custom job for the DIY'er.
eimarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #6
Ejs

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
You can get the splitter off with just the removal of the plastic pieces behind the front fascia and below the engine. The rivets can be drilled out easily. The tape holds it very well, but start at the ends near the wheel well. I replaced mine with a carbon fiber piece from EOS.
Ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:38 AM   #7
Trentelshark

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I feel your pain, practically the same thing happened to me. I was parking where what looked to be a normal mound of soft snow, turned out a parking block had been pushed by a plough or something and sure enough my splitter found it. Heard the smallest tap, big gap right around the middle and a hairline crack about a foot from that.

GM wants $965 CAD (plus taxes so over $1000) for the replacement part. I'm going to see if it can be repaired instead before dropping that kind of cash for a hollow piece of plastic. For the time being you can't see my MacGyver repair job from a distance so while it drives me nuts knowing it is there you'd have to be pretty close to tell.
Trentelshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #8
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Does anyone have a good online retailer source for an SS 1LE splitter? It seems that some of the online dealerships have good prices until you get to shipping. Is in-person pickup at a local dealer the best option?
Old 04-03-2019, 12:51 PM   #9
kropscamaro16

if you check out price online plus shipping its about same to pick up from dealer lol sometimes chevy will send me 20% off coupons maybe i should buy em and sell em!
Old 04-03-2019, 01:33 PM   #10
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Does anyone have a good online retailer source for an SS 1LE splitter? It seems that some of the online dealerships have good prices until you get to shipping. Is in-person pickup at a local dealer the best option?
I've had this work for me a few times:

Go to the parts department at you local dealer, show them the part # and request it "at cost", if they give you any push back show them the advertised price on many of the online retailers (this is usually slightly above the "cost").

The dealer won't really make money on the part but they keep your business so SOME are willing to play ball.

You save money this way by not paying for shipping of course.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:45 AM   #11
M.A.K.

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE , 75 Caddy, 15 Cruze
I clipped a critter one night and found out how fragile the splitter was....
Ended up going with a 1LE style replacement from RPI and have been very happy with it. The colouring and finish were decent given the much lower cost and it does seem to be a more resiliant material compared with the stock brittle plastic. As a GM employee I thought the stock one would be reasonable with our parts discount but they still wanted way too much for what it is...

I had the dealership install it just to make sure they couldn't give me any crap about drilling out the rivets etc.. installed it was about the same as just buying the new OEM piece.. food for thought.
M.A.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:44 PM   #12
RyanR3KC
"1/LE Rebel Alliance"

Drives: 18 Black 1SS 1LE “Siouxsie
i either back in everywhere or park in a spot that i don't have to worry about hitting the splitter...

back up camera is your friend
RyanR3KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:43 PM   #13
Trentelshark

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I went to a marine repair place today to see what they thought. The guy I spoke with is pretty confident he can repair it with epoxy once it is off the car but had one question I couldn't answer. Is it hollow all the way through so he can do the repair from the inside out or is it enclosed all the way around and just a hollow core?

Please tell me the repair can be done inside to out, the repair is 1/3 of what a new one costs so throw in the vinyl wrap once that's done and I'm still coming in way under the OEM part cost .
Trentelshark is offline   Reply With Quote