Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
Todd45thAnniversaryV6

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Camaro
Just when I thought I was immune to the "bad Camaro paint....."

So I was washing my car yesterday when I saw out of the corner of my eye what I thought were water spots on the roof of car. Upon closer inspection, I realized that it wasn't water spots, but 4 or 5 bubbles in the paint. They are right above the windshield on the passenger side and range from about the size of a sesame seed to a little bigger. I tried taking pics, but you have to look from just the right angle to see them You can even push your fingernail into one and see the indentation "rebound" back out.
I took it to the dealer on my way home from work today and made an appointment for the first of August to get it fixed under warranty. Now I get to worry about all the horror stories I have heard on here about dealer body shops. Ughh....had the car 2 months and already this. Makes me sad....

Last edited by Todd45thAnniversaryV6; 07-13-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Todd45thAnniversaryV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
5ohcamaro

Drives: 2012 black 1LS Camaro
im scared now...
Old 07-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ohcamaro View Post
im scared now...
I am not leaving the house anymore after dark .
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
45SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Camaro SS
sorry to hear your problem. I had an RS (45th) as well, same problem all over the tops of the car. Never got it fixed, totaled the car, or should I say.... the wife did!
Good Luck, you are not the only one.....
45SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
All Star
I'm an Engineer

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Send a message via AIM to All Star
Going to the dealer over a couple of sesame seed size blemishes? I'm anal, but sheesh...you're going to drive yourself nuts.

All Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:29 AM   #6
Todd45thAnniversaryV6

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Star View Post
Going to the dealer over a couple of sesame seed size blemishes? I'm anal, but sheesh...you're going to drive yourself nuts.
Dude, the paint is bubbling up. These weren't there when I took delivery. It looks like the car has a rash on top. I'm not being anal, I just don't want it to get worse. Not to mention, I am super anal and looking at blemishes popping up on my very meticulously maintained paint is not something I can accept with a 2 month old car. Maybe I'm crazy, but after spending $30K on a new car, the damn paint had better not start developing non-wear related problems in the first 100K miles, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:57 AM   #7
mdrobtx

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Victory Red
I'm headed to the dealer also to get my deck repainted where the low mounted spoiler rubbed the paint off. I just hope they dont give me crap about having to replace my deck stripes and rear blacked out panel.

Good luck OP

1968 Coupe and 1967 Vert

mdrobtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:24 AM   #8
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd45thAnniversaryV6 View Post
Dude, the paint is bubbling up. These weren't there when I took delivery. It looks like the car has a rash on top. I'm not being anal, I just don't want it to get worse. Not to mention, I am super anal and looking at blemishes popping up on my very meticulously maintained paint is not something I can accept with a 2 month old car. Maybe I'm crazy, but after spending $30K on a new car, the damn paint had better not start developing non-wear related problems in the first 100K miles, as far as I'm concerned.

You mean the Camaro has paint problems? No way!

Of course you're going to be bombarded with people who will say, "Oh that's just being anal." These same people would say the same if your A/C stopped working, power steering went out, and your car didn't start half the time. Some just can't admit it when there are issues with this car..never seen anything like it.

As a side note and back on topic, I hope you get it fixed. I can understand your frustration as I am one of the millions who have had to deal with paint issues. Never saw bubbling though, although I will now be checking it this weekend.

What starts as a small problem can quickly become a big one, so I think you are doing the right thing in taking it to the dealer. Good luck!
ShowSStopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
hokiez28

Drives: 2012 2SS - 45th Anniversary Edition
When I washed my car this past weekend I noticed some spots in the exact same location (passenger side above windshield) that seem to match the description that you have provided. I thought they were water spots as well. Even tried using clay bar and some Revive polish to remove and neither product had any affect. I wasn't able to diagnose it as paint "bubbling" but maybe I need to take a closer look, particularly before I take my Porter Cable and some Fine Machine Polish to it, which was going to be my next step.

The spots appeared between my previous wash two weeks prior and the most recent one this past weekend. Wonder if the heat wave had anything to do with it?

Very strange that the issue is appearing at the same location on the same color paint....

1994 Camaro Z28 A4 w/ Hooker Longtubes, Borla Exhaust, Custom 4" CAI, in need of a transmission rebuild
hokiez28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
So I was washing my car yesterday when I saw out of the corner of my eye what I thought were water spots on the roof of car. Upon closer inspection, I realized that it wasn't water spots, but 4 or 5 bubbles in the paint. They are right above the windshield on the passenger side and range from about the size of a sesame seed to a little bigger. I tried taking pics, but you have to look from just the right angle to see them You can even push your fingernail into one and see the indentation "rebound" back out.
I took it to the dealer on my way home from work today and made an appointment for the first of August to get it fixed under warranty. Now I get to worry about all the horror stories I have heard on here about dealer body shops. Ughh....had the car 2 months and already this. Makes me sad....

Please don't be so sad! :( It is best to be positive and hopeful! Your dealership is definitely stepping up and getting your vehicle's paint issue addressed and that is great news!

Please let us know how everything goes when everything is said and done.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 07-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #11
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
You're correct in getting this addressed. Bubbling will turn to chipping, then other problems with rust, etc.

My dealer had to repaint my front fascia, and it looks better than it did from the factory (cracking paint where it met the fender, and paint a shade off from the rest of the car).
Old 07-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #12
ragtop11

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
I agree with many of the above post, the price GM gets for these cars, you
should have a very good coat of paint and clearcoat. these cars are all computer painted, I believe, so it's just a matter of setting it up correctly.
an extra color coat and an extra coat or two of clearcoat and these things would shine.
GM a little more quality control is needed.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #13
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtop11 View Post
I agree with many of the above post, the price GM gets for these cars, you
should have a very good coat of paint and clearcoat. these cars are all computer painted, I believe, so it's just a matter of setting it up correctly.
an extra color coat and an extra coat or two of clearcoat and these things would shine.
GM a little more quality control is needed.

I've been saying this from day 1.

So now, after being told by my dealer that they can't remove whatever it is rolling around inside my decklid that sounds like a bolt, my car is heading back to the shop AGAIN for a horrible rattle coming from under the car every time I hit a bump.

And yes, my paint is paper thin and sucks as well.
ShowSStopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
Z28COP

Drives: 2021 Crush ZLE
Oh Crap! was gonna get suspension and a super charger..guess the newest mod will be repaint by a professional, then mods...How Sad:(. Have 1900 miles on mine, and every pleasure drive i do..i come back with a new chip. Guess a need a Camaro Condom
1-27-21 3400 TPW 2-8-21
2-04-21 3800 Built
2-26-21. 4300
3-08-21 Delivered
Z28COP is offline   Reply With Quote