Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
Reaper1a

Drives: 2010 Summit White 2LT/RS
Summit white - color not uniform?

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and I was unable to locate a previous post regarding this issue (sorry if it's a repost).

I recently got my new camaro in summit white, and noticed that the "bolt on" parts (the spoiler, both bumpers, side skirts and fuel door) did not match the color of the body of the car. When I pointed this out at the dealer the service manager saw was I was talking about and has been more than willing to help.
The problem is that after two and half weeks of having my car, they were still unable to get an exact match. After visiting a few other local dealers, I noticed the same problem on their white camaros too. My service manager believes it is the flex agent that they have to use on the parts as although it applies clear, it is drying with a yellow haze and causing the difference. (This he would further back up by saying that it would not as dramatically effect other colors, and therefore be less noticable)

Anyone have any thoughts/solutions for this? Is this a localized problem, or have other people come across the same thing?
Old 01-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
The fascias are all painted with flex paint off-site.

They don't match a lot of the time. GM knows all about it, many owners have expressed displeasure.

It's not going to change, IMO.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
will69camaro

Drives: 1969 and 2010 Camaros
Hopefully my next one doesn't have this problem. The first SW camaro I had was uniform. Just had little yellow dots start popping up on the front bumper. I blame bugs of S. Texas but they wouldn't come off regardless of what I tried...
will69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
Reaper1a

Is there a way to "go around" the flex paint to acheive a uniform appearance?
Old 01-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
bluman

Drives: '10 Corvette GS/'13 Mustang
2010 Camaro SIM/CGM RS/2LT VIN #310 SOLD

2010 Corvette Grand Sport
bluman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
97one

Drives: 2016 & 1967 Camaro, 2015 Impala, +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1a View Post
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and I was unable to locate a previous post regarding this issue (sorry if it's a repost).

I recently got my new camaro in summit white, and noticed that the "bolt on" parts (the spoiler, both bumpers, side skirts and fuel door) did not match the color of the body of the car. When I pointed this out at the dealer the service manager saw was I was talking about and has been more than willing to help.
The problem is that after two and half weeks of having my car, they were still unable to get an exact match. After visiting a few other local dealers, I noticed the same problem on their white camaros too. My service manager believes it is the flex agent that they have to use on the parts as although it applies clear, it is drying with a yellow haze and causing the difference. (This he would further back up by saying that it would not as dramatically effect other colors, and therefore be less noticable)

Anyone have any thoughts/solutions for this? Is this a localized problem, or have other people come across the same thing?
Yes it is the same on all COLORS not just white.
The mirrors also don't match.

97one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
402 Motoring

Drives: 2007 Magnum SRT
It has nothing to do with the flex additive at all. Bumpers and most other trim is painted separately from the actual body of the car and the outside vendor producing the part. Even though the paint companies (ie BASF, Dupont, and PPG and others) work to a common standard that is provided by GM, there is a + and - to that standard of acceptance. You also have to understand that the paint line is fed by the different companies that win the contract to supply paint. Once a particular companies paint supply runs out, the lines are blown and another paint companies paint is used to paint the vehicle. Thats why you'll always have subtle differences in shades and thats why some colors have so many different variations to them.
402 Motoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I've read about every Post on Camaro5 regarding summit white and also the color mis-matches on all colors. As best I remember the majority of problems was with the RJT (red Jewel) bar cover paint mismatch. I have actually seen two or three RJT Camaros that had poor matching paint. I don't think anyone before has mentioned a problem with summit white paint. What is your vin # ?. Mine is 32351 (built 8/3-8/4), and my summit white Camaro is perfect. I mention the vin # because you may find some more summit white Camaros built at the same time of yours with the same problem.
I hope you get your problem solved.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
kjd15
Finally!!

Drives: '10 2LT Summit white, '68 Camaro
The only thing I noticed on my car was the gas door. Everything else matches pretty good, at least to me.
kjd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #10
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Mine is perfect all the way around.
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #11
Reaper1a

I see what you're saying, but a dupont painter came and scanned my car four separate times, and tried the various hues of white the machine "matched". But it is still drying with a yellow tint after the process is completed :( . I'm hesitant to exclude the flex agent due it being a common denominator, which is why I was hoping there was another solution to it.

Kjd - if your fuel door doesn't match (which was also the most obvious to me) I would bet the other parts don't match either. Might be worth taking a closer look.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #12
EuroCamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Summit White here too and the plastic parts are not the same colour as the body.

How hard can it be?????
EuroCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #13
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
If you look at my fuel door, its a slightly darker color orange, bumpers are close but not perfect.
My dealer body shop manager said all new cars are like this, (I don't believe him).
3ss's IOM paint matches perfectly. I inspected the car with him before he took delivery.
At any rate I really want to keep the factory paint so I let it slide. Don't know how they get any of them right with vendors painting parts seperately.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #14
kjd15
Finally!!

Drives: '10 2LT Summit white, '68 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1a View Post
I see what you're saying, but a dupont painter came and scanned my car four separate times, and tried the various hues of white the machine "matched". But it is still drying with a yellow tint after the process is completed :( . I'm hesitant to exclude the flex agent due it being a common denominator, which is why I was hoping there was another solution to it.

Kjd - if your fuel door doesn't match (which was also the most obvious to me) I would bet the other parts don't match either. Might be worth taking a closer look.
I'm not too worried about it really. Doesn't seem to be anything they can do about it anyway, right?
kjd15 is offline   Reply With Quote