Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 06-28-2010, 02:10 PM   #113
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Wow, Thanks for the kind words Chris... I'm speechless.

There are a million different ways to make the Camaro your own and this is just one of many. I just hope that when it all comes together it gives other C5 members some ideas that they too can push the envelope a little with their Camaro.

I am just looking forward to when a bunch of us can go cruising together , then go to a racetrack and let it all hang out - and have some fun with other makes and models of cars...

So...when are you going to get those gauges ??
Working on the approval process.... Procurement.... Funding request has been submitted to WIFECOMHOME.....

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #114
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Working on the approval process.... Procurement.... Funding request has been submitted to WIFECOMHOME.....

So was she originally SOCOM ? CENTCOM ? Now WIFECOMHOME with the ultimate in line item VETO power... You'll just have to classify them as "Toddler Needs" or just say you needed to pick them up for some special ARMS testing...
Old 06-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #115
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
So was she originally SOCOM ? CENTCOM ? Now WIFECOMHOME with the ultimate in line item VETO power... You'll just have to classify them as "Toddler Needs" or just say you needed to pick them up for some special ARMS testing...
Wow! You've done this before.....

there are about 10 inside jokes rolled into one post here....

Old 06-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #116
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
What are the plans for the rest of the drivetrain? Based on the powerplant descriptions, it would seem it's going to be beefed up . Looks awesome so far!
garcmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #117
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Can you say 9" rearend.....LOL
Old 06-28-2010, 03:37 PM   #118
garcmol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
Yes, but honestly, I wouldn't have a clue what I'm talking about!

I'm learning here. Bruce talked over my head at the Fest, too. I'm really good at nodding and throwing an occasional "Uh huh," in there.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #119
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
I don't want to spoil the surprise.... But.... Maybe.... Maybe not.....

Old 06-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #120
speedster
SST...

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
RIGHT?! I don't think he'll have to worry about that!

I don't think words describe exactly what this car is going to be. I know I wouldn't be able to wrap my head around it

Hopefully I can find a way to get to where you're going to be.
Thanks. But you will have no problem figuring this one out. Think high stall converter... See you got it !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
What are the plans for the rest of the drivetrain? Based on the powerplant descriptions, it would seem it's going to be beefed up . Looks awesome so far!
Tried all possible paths to use the 6L80E but the aftermarket has just not caught up yet plus it really has 2 gears too many for the SST. Mark Bowler built a sick, sick 4L85E for the SST with a billet converter. Rearend will most likely be a fabricated Mod 12 housing with Outlaw Axles. This Mod center can be set up with 12 bolt or 9" center guts. There are pros and cons for both. We will put the down the details about 12 bolt versus 9" but there are a few Camaro specific things to take in to account.

As far as gears, the higher the HP, the less gear you want so we chose to go with 3.31's. Details and pics will follow as we get them installed.

Last edited by speedster; 06-29-2010 at 08:51 PM.
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #121
speedster
SST...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Yes, but honestly, I wouldn't have a clue what I'm talking about!

I'm learning here. Bruce talked over my head at the Fest, too. I'm really good at nodding and throwing an occasional "Uh huh," in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
I don't want to spoil the surprise.... But.... Maybe.... Maybe not.....
The Firebird has a 9" rear with 3.70 gears, Detroit Locker and 35 spline axles, but that is also a straight axle. There are pros and cons to the viability in an IRS.

Have spoken with many aftermarket companies and there are issues. Maybe Tom at Hendrix figures out the 9" - don't know yet.

Have been working with others to this point and it should be getting close...One step at a time. Gotta be patient when pushing the new Camaro stuff. Always seems to take longer than you want. :(
Old 06-28-2010, 05:09 PM   #122
garcmol

I just think a true "sleeper" is awesome!
Old 06-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #123
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
I sure hope someone figures out the correct rearend option SOON. Now Bruce, I know you can figure this out, but do it fast....LOL I waiting for it. I am also curious as to what options you have come across for the driveshaft? I know Chris has a 1 piece coming but I have also been told there are issues with the 1 piece at the TO bearing. I like the idea of a solid axle but I also am kinda leaning towards keeping the IRS to stay with the true character of the camaro and working on perfecting the setup for IRS. The whole process of building a new camaro is so exciting but at the same time, very frustrating as you stated, its a very slow process waiting on new designs on what works and what doesnt. I am curious as to what the stock diff will hold as I think I am going to be pushing those limits and hope the new designs arrive in time.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:48 PM   #124
speedster
SST...

OK, Jumping around a little here, but to complete the wheel tub and frame modifications, here are a few more small details plus the tire/wheel combo that will be on the SST when the stock ones aren't. These are a must for any type of race scenario.

First Pic - The vertical orange line is where the upper factory rear subframe mount and coilover pocket will be modified for clearance. This was the test fit with a 335/18 tire we had lying around. The coilovers are a special set made that have a small 2.5" diameter spring versus the factory 5" beehive. The upper mounts are being custom made by Craig at Xtreme Innovations which is also where the chromoly coil overs came from.
Second Pic - Forgeline SP3P Wheels for SST. Black with CNC Diamond Cut
Third Pic - Rear Tire/Wheel Combo 18 x 12.5 wheel with Mickey Thompson P345/35R18 Drag Radial tire (The front rims are 18 x 9 with Goodyear 275 F1's)
Fourth Pic - These Wheels were made with the maximum backspace that Dave, Doug and Scott at Forgeline could do.
Fifth Pic - The 345 Drag Radial next to a 235 on my wife's Magnum for scale. Two of these DR's side by side are just a little bit short of a yardstick wide.
Attached Images

Last edited by speedster; 07-05-2010 at 09:53 PM.
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #125
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Insane!! And so beautiful at the same time!

Still workin' on it, Bruce, btw...
Old 06-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #126
speedster
SST...

Quote:
I sure hope someone figures out the correct rearend option SOON. Now Bruce, I know you can figure this out, but do it fast....LOL I waiting for it. I am also curious as to what options you have come across for the driveshaft? I know Chris has a 1 piece coming but I have also been told there are issues with the 1 piece at the TO bearing. I like the idea of a solid axle but I also am kinda leaning towards keeping the IRS to stay with the true character of the camaro and working on perfecting the setup for IRS. The whole process of building a new camaro is so exciting but at the same time, very frustrating as you stated, its a very slow process waiting on new designs on what works and what doesnt. I am curious as to what the stock diff will hold as I think I am going to be pushing those limits and hope the new designs arrive in time.

You are right J. It is tough to wait, but when people such as yourself are pushing into uncharted areas. There is a lot of time for the developers to catch up. This is such a new platform. Our drivetrains will differ some in that the SST has a slightly shorter 4L85E. But the rearend and the tranny can both be set to give the correct pinion angle and driveshaft u joint angles. One of the items that may have to be modified is the ebrake. The driveshaft options are out there. 1350 front and rear are a must but in speaking with some companies such as Mark Williams - harmonics, resonance, driveshaft speed and sideloading should NOT be a problem. If it works for Pro Mods and Pro Stocks I think we'll be OK. I have heard both pros and cons for CF shafts so more research needs to be done there.

In the meantime I hope the stock diff holds up well for you. I know someone who has a spool that will fit in there if that becomes an issue.

Tags
engine psi > tire psi, f5....., holy crap!, horsepower, omgwtfbbqsaucepowa!!!, speedster, sst, turbo