Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-16-2009, 12:56 AM   #43
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Drives: 1969 Dusk Blue Z/28, 2015 Red Z/28
I think the car looks OK, but I really think they killed off the wrong division. Pontiac with a marriage of some of the Saturn lineup should still be here, and Buick should have hit the scrapheap or been sold....China's enthusiasm for the the brand notwithstanding. The LaCrosse could have easily been a Poncho as the brand rings more bells with the younger crowd.

No one under 55 buys a Buick, and those that do, wish they could've ponied up and bought a Caddy DTS or similar. Buick has made some cool stuff, but that was very long ago (GN's).

All I can say is thank goodness for the Camaro, that kind of design and style should be prevalent all through the GM line to make them different enough from the blob sedans out there that people will want to try them. People look at the new Camaro and say "thats the Chevy I remember" when their style led the world.

Probably wrong on this, but I think it sprouts a healthy debate as to what GM should be doing to survive and prosper. I wish them the best.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:57 AM   #44
HeatherR

Drives: 2009 CTS, 2008 Solstice GXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Considering the radical size difference? An in-person viewing will most certainly be different. Heck -- if you're as good as you say with spotting bmws...you shouldn't have a problem telling these two apart.

Although I am married to a GM guy now I grew up with my dad owning a BMW shop and have driven/owned countless BMWs over the years from 2002s to new 3s, 5s, etc. and lately I have a hard time telling the difference at first glance or a slight distance...So, if he can see the subtle differences in them then these two will be clearly different!!
HeatherR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:58 AM   #45
All-Or-Nothing
Account Suspended

Drives: BMW 6 series Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Considering the radical size difference? An in-person viewing will most certainly be different. Heck -- if you're as good as you say with spotting bmws...you shouldn't have a problem telling these two apart.
So is this new Regal comparative in size to the new Lacrosse
All-Or-Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:57 AM   #46
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
My Dad has a strange weakness for old lady cars, I bet he'd be all over this one (Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting it down) He used to be a TownCar guy, had three of those stupid Lincolns... He now owns a 95 Regal with the supercharged six. A step in the right direction, I'd say

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:23 AM   #47
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy View Post
I think the car looks OK, but I really think they killed off the wrong division. Pontiac with a marriage of some of the Saturn lineup should still be here, and Buick should have hit the scrapheap or been sold....China's enthusiasm for the the brand notwithstanding. The LaCrosse could have easily been a Poncho as the brand rings more bells with the younger crowd.

No one under 55 buys a Buick, and those that do, wish they could've ponied up and bought a Caddy DTS or similar. Buick has made some cool stuff, but that was very long ago (GN's).

All I can say is thank goodness for the Camaro, that kind of design and style should be prevalent all through the GM line to make them different enough from the blob sedans out there that people will want to try them. People look at the new Camaro and say "thats the Chevy I remember" when their style led the world.

Probably wrong on this, but I think it sprouts a healthy debate as to what GM should be doing to survive and prosper. I wish them the best.
Would love to see where you figured out that nobody under 55 buys a Buick.

As for Pontiac, Pontiac was on the chopping block before GM went into bankruptcy. The brand was limited in what GM could do with it, fleet sales made up a large percentage of its sales (G6...), plus it didn't have an overseas market like the four core GM brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing View Post
So is this new Regal comparative in size to the new Lacrosse
No. Regal is on SWB EpII. LaCrosse is on LWB EpII. LaCrosse is bigger.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #48
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Would love to see where you figured out that nobody under 55 buys a Buick.

As for Pontiac, Pontiac was on the chopping block before GM went into bankruptcy. The brand was limited in what GM could do with it, fleet sales made up a large percentage of its sales (G6...), plus it didn't have an overseas market like the four core GM brands.

No. Regal is on SWB EpII. LaCrosse is on LWB EpII. LaCrosse is bigger.
The age demographic for Buick and Mercury has historically been above 60. They are the scion of the retirement home parking lots. Buick made news a few years ago when the Enclave was targeting the 55 and younger territory.

I'm 51 now, midlife crisis in full swing, and the thought of being seen in anything bearing the Buick nameplate is unthinkable. I would fight it tooth and nail, trying to hang on to my youth that is slowly slipping from my grasp. My 24 y.o daughter would buy the LaCrosse, but not if its a Buick. She probably would turn into a Pontiac lot and buy one....but alas its too late

Perception is everything in the automotive industry. Brands are associated with demographics. Buick since the late 70's has been associated with the older crowd. I don't know how GM can change the image to appeal to a 30 something market........I don't think it can be done
Old 10-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #49
FenwickHockey65

Obviously haven't been following the marketing of the LaCrosse, have you?
Old 10-16-2009, 09:12 AM   #50
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Quote:
Obviously haven't been following the marketing of the LaCrosse, have you?
Zactly, the thought never crossed my mind. I am sure millions of others desperately hanging on to what youth we have left, feel the same way.

I have to bring the car up online to even know what we are looking at. Handsome car

Dont hate me LOL, just being honest. Something for GM to be thinking about as it tries to re-invent itself
Old 10-16-2009, 09:13 AM   #51
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy View Post
Zactly, the thought never crossed my mind. I am sure millions of others desperately hanging on to what youth we have left, feel the same way.

I have to bring the car up online to even know what we are looking at. Handsome car

Dont hate me LOL, just being honest. Something for GM to be thinking about as it tries to re-invent itself
Plenty of folks under 40 who are interested in a LaCrosse. GM's aggressively marketing it towards younger professionals.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #52
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Quote:
Plenty of folks under 40 who are interested in a LaCrosse. GM's aggressively marketing it towards younger professionals.
And thats a good thing, I wish them luck at it. Hey, they brought down the age demographic of the Caddy line, even though it took a while
Old 10-16-2009, 09:30 AM   #53
All-Or-Nothing
Account Suspended

Quote:

I really like this new Lacrosse. I would drive it all day long. Rims, stereo upgrade. and a slight drop and I would be content.

Sure some on here don't like it but that's the wonderful thing about choices.

Sorry i'm getting off topic...
Old 10-16-2009, 09:35 AM   #54
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Mmmm... I likes myself a good pic from behind...
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #55
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
I really like this new Lacrosse. I would drive it all day long. Rims, stereo upgrade. and a slight drop and I would be content.

Sure some on here don't like it but that's the wonderful thing about choices.

Sorry i'm getting off topic...
A gorgeous car indeed. Wait until you see one in person or on the road...looks even better.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:42 AM   #56
All-Or-Nothing
Account Suspended

Quote:
A gorgeous car indeed. Wait until you see one in person or on the road...looks even better.
Yeah I can't wait to actually see one and sit in it.