Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-18-2015, 04:45 PM   #1
dmtashima

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Flywheel and Clutch Issues

Hey y'all

I was having some issues with my Camaro and thought I'd document the process so far for opinions and to hopefully be of help to someone further down the line, should they need it.

Recently, my car has had problems starting, the starter would spin but nothing else would happen and we would be unable to get the car to start.

Took the car to Puente Hills Chevrolet, probably the worst experience I've had this month. Sent the car to MK Smith Chevy in Chino, CA. They've been treating me very well and long story short, it turns out that the Starter Ring Gear completely split from the flywheel due to extreme heat from the clutch.

They are claiming that this is due to user error and therefore not covered under the warranty. This I actually understand, adult Male with a high power sports car, probably was thrashed on. The honest truth is I don't have the balls or the money to take the car to extremes as of yet and it's actually driven pretty mildly, mainly as a commuter and weekend cruising car. I'm sure that's what everyone says though, but I digress.

What I don't understand is how I could get the clutch so hot as to split the ring gear from the flywheel without destroying the clutch. The night before the issues started, the clutch felt fine, didn't feel soft, and wasn't abused etc. It was a nice freeway drive from the shop (It was there for running lights work) back home.

I'm a bit skeptical as to the reason for this damange to the flywheel and am more inclined to think that it is a mechanical defect. I could be wrong, feel free to correct me if I am. I also got pictures of the clutch and it appears to be worn more on one side than the other which is typically due to warping...but then again, I could be wrong.

I contacted GM corporate because I am of the opinion that it was NOT user error and I am waiting to hear back from them to see whether I get it replaced or if I am going to be in the market for a new clutch. I'll keep y'all posted, and I love to hear any opinions or tips if anyone has been through this before. Thanks guys.

-DMT
dmtashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:17 PM   #2
bct10985

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3, 2013 duramax
Ive never heard of that. Had to be a mechanical defect. Im sure there are a lot of people out there who drive a lot harder than you
Old 09-19-2015, 11:40 AM   #3
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
It's common practice to use a torch and heat the ring gear in order to mount it on a flywheel so to claim heat from abuse broke it is BS. Find a new dealer!
Old 09-21-2015, 04:32 PM   #4
dmtashima

I'm currently waiting on a call back from the GM rep still so I guess I'll find out what to do as soon as he gets back to me. All this waiting is absolutely killing me.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:53 PM   #5
dmtashima

UPDATE: Spoke to both the GM Rep and the Service Director. Service director just reiterated that the flywheel separated from the ring gear due to the heat from clutch abuse. They are trying to sell me a McLeod clutch kit and install for 2185. The transmission is currently out of the car and the car has been there for about 3 weeks now. I am so sick of dealing with this and just want my car back. It obviously can't be driven anywhere at the moment so moving dealerships is not an option and GM is not sending anyone out for a second opinion. The whole situation just seems so backwards and I have no idea what to do, please advise.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:59 PM   #6
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtashima View Post
UPDATE: Spoke to both the GM Rep and the Service Director. Service director just reiterated that the flywheel separated from the ring gear due to the heat from clutch abuse. They are trying to sell me a McLeod clutch kit and install for 2185. The transmission is currently out of the car and the car has been there for about 3 weeks now. I am so sick of dealing with this and just want my car back. It obviously can't be driven anywhere at the moment so moving dealerships is not an option and GM is not sending anyone out for a second opinion. The whole situation just seems so backwards and I have no idea what to do, please advise.
Is it possible, yes it is. Not probable, but possible. Any chance you could get to the dealer and take pictures of the parts in question?

How many miles on the car?

The OE clutch is actually pretty solid. Ask them to price out a factory replacement.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:37 AM   #7
dmtashima

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Is it possible, yes it is. Not probable, but possible. Any chance you could get to the dealer and take pictures of the parts in question?

How many miles on the car?

The OE clutch is actually pretty solid. Ask them to price out a factory replacement.
Yeah, I had the dealership send me some pictures because I'm stuck two hours away...

28k miles

Factory replacement at 1718.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2015, 08:21 AM   #8
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
I think the Service guys are full of crap. None of the pictures show signs of excessive heating/abuse. Tell the dealership to put your car back together, or have it towed to a different shop/dealership. I'd also show those pictures to a local transmission shop, and get there take on it.

Seriously, I don't see any signs of glazing, or anything, on the clutch disk, however, they only show one side...

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:39 PM   #9
dmtashima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanntexas View Post
I think the Service guys are full of crap. None of the pictures show signs of excessive heating/abuse. Tell the dealership to put your car back together, or have it towed to a different shop/dealership. I'd also show those pictures to a local transmission shop, and get there take on it.

Seriously, I don't see any signs of glazing, or anything, on the clutch disk, however, they only show one side...
I'm going to try to go see what's going on this weekend. I requested a picture of the other side of the clutch to figure out if it's really gone. I might just buck up and have the work done because I'm so sick of waiting on this process and it doesn't seem to go anywhere no matter how hard I kick and fight.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:11 PM   #10
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice

The picture is out of focus so it is hard to say. It appears there is clutch material transfer and possible blue areas on the plate. If that is true, then there was a lot of heat.

I suggest you go and see the parts in person. Posting better pictures would help.

Why was your clutch replaced at 1700 miles?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:15 PM   #11
dmtashima

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post

The picture is out of focus so it is hard to say. It appears there is clutch material transfer and possible blue areas on the plate. If that is true, then there was a lot of heat.

I suggest you go and see the parts in person. Posting better pictures would help.

Why was your clutch replaced at 1700 miles?
Gonna try to head up this weekend.

And my bad, 1718 is what they quoted for a new OEM clutch and install.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:34 PM   #12
dmtashima

Looking at purchasing a McLeod RST clutch kit and Aluminum flywheel if I have to fix it on my own dime, does anyone have any experience with McLeod and their products?