Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
Ovenmitt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 RJT 1SS
Send a message via AIM to Ovenmitt
Free mod - Foglight ram air

I started on this looking for a better/cheaper solution to the ADM scoop, and I think I've found it. The foglight bezel holes are EXACTLY 4 inches inner diameter, and a 4" ID pvc pipe slides into the front fascia hole PERFECTLY and is nice and snug. I cutout the rear of the fascia hole so its round, slid in a 45 degree pipe, and hose clamped it on. I'm going to use two more pieces, and support the pipe up top, and it's going to be a 4" ram air duct straight into the airbox. Should certainly help get some air in. Will take some pictures in just a few minutes.

Also, I not have two factory foglights (just removed the other side) that I'm going to sell/trade to an LS car for blockoff plates and a few bucks. Pics coming
Ovenmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Slick1
New Guy

Drives: Black 2011 1SS.
I dig it but how will it be for keeping water out if it's direct link in without a place for the water to leave before being sucked up?

Keep us posted though man cause I really do like the idea pending waterproofing
Slick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
Ovenmitt
Account Suspended

Frontal shot. Standing in front of the car you can't even tell its an air pipe. Just looks like a fog blackout

Close-up. Notice how the pipe sits flush against the bezel. Perfect.

Rear view with one of the 45 degree pipes in place (I use two). Notice the hose clamp. I slotted the backside of the fog part of the front bumper so it can be clamped, and you can see hose clamp placement.

Another view

With the second 45 degree elbow in place, and zip-tie supported to a hole in the chassis (its snug down below, so this just acts as a sling, though it is pretty tight)

As seen from above, with fender liner reinstalled. Straight shot of 4" of ram air straight to the filter.

The pipe ends up rougly 4-5 inches from the air filter, dead center of the filter. You honestly couldn't fab a ram air duct that would sit in a better location. It actually surprised me how damn well it all fit together.

Total cost - $13

Two 4" 45* elbows, lowes part # 48910 @ $5.87 each
Two zip ties - $0.26
One 4.5" hose clamp - $1

I expect similar or better (this *should* flow more...) results then the ADM scoop for much less price.

Last edited by Ovenmitt; 04-23-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
Ovenmitt
Account Suspended

I put a couple drain holes in the bend of the first elbow (2.5mm drill) to facilitate water drainage. I live in WA (rains a lot), but due to the fog recess I don't honestly believe this will soak the filter, as its a similar recess to the ADM scoop, and they don't have issues. There's a sufficient air gap too, so I don't think rain will soak the filter, but I will certainly update this if I need to. Just looking for a few free HP on the big end of the street and racetrack
Old 04-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
That is some real ingenuity there. Nice job!! I would not want to give up my foglamps, but for those that don't mind, this is a great idea.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
I made a similar set up in my Jeep SRT8. Jeeps have a hole to "cool the brakes", but I felt that it was not necessary for a street driven truck and would be better suited for air induction. I also drilled a couple 1/8" drill holes @ the bend for a drain. I think the set up helped, my jeep went 13.00 @ 106+ with just this mod to my Volant intake and a tune... Nice work!!!
Old 04-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
That is some real ingenuity there. Nice job!! I would not want to give up my foglamps, but for those that don't mind, this is a great idea.
My thoughts exactly.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #8
masterwinning

Drives: 2013 Volt
Any thoughts on what the other side could be used for, anything else that would benefit from a stream of cool air blowing on it?
masterwinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #9
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
Hey I did the same thing!!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142458

Did you find the difference I did. I am in FLA and the heat is a bi...

Funny cyberjerry11 post a few days ago and we have a a few

what did you do with the front didn't notice pics on that if I missed my bad
Old 04-23-2011, 08:29 PM   #10
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
oh they are there but light is bad so didn't notice
sorry
Old 04-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #11
Ovenmitt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOLIE View Post
Hey I did the same thing!!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142458

Did you find the difference I did. I am in FLA and the heat is a bi...

Funny cyberjerry11 post a few days ago and we have a a few

what did you do with the front didn't notice pics on that if I missed my bad
Instead of sticking a 3" up against the tiny hole there like you guys did, i actually cut the whole back piece out, and slotted the remainder. a 4" pipe fits in there really snug. It lets the pipe sit all the way forward against the foglight trim bezel so there isnt any place for air to escape. No driving impressions yet, but I haven't been out either.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #12
Ovenmitt
Account Suspended

Here's a better pic. You can see the first elbow is completely flush against the bezel. You can see where the second elbow fits into it in this photo, too. Best way to maximize the hole's possible flow is to use the biggest possible smooth pipe, and that's what i did.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
I've been on Oolie's thread about this for a few days- im working in a similar idea for.my SS vert. However, instead of eliminating the DRLs, I bought the lower grille vents/ducts.installation involves removing the front fascia, removing and cutting the lower grille sides and installing the vents/ducts. What I am looking to do then, is route the driver side venting up to the air box similar to how its done in this post. The other side, Im thinking i'll.either direct toward the engine itself or just maybe leave as is... Hopefully it'll not only add to the look of the car, but functionality as well... will post a thread once I finish it!
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #14
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Daily drivers headsup .Only downside to the scoop(s) is the additional dirt under the hood.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote