Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-30-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
Tire repair issue

I was lucky enough to get a screw in one of my rear tires.
It is an inch to an inch and a half in from the side wall on the tread. The tire shop says it is not repairable because it is to close to the sidewall. I call BS. I don't see a danger. I think they are just trying to sell me a tire?
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
If they repair it and something happens they could be at fault, I agree it's too close to the side wall. I had one in my tire almost in the same area maybe a little farther from the side wall and the dealership said they would not repair it (I had the tire warranty). IMHO just get the new tire don't risk it.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
NoSloSS
BUMBLWHO

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
There is alot of flex in that area of the tire and that's the reason. You could repair it on your own, but you could risk a failure in that area or it could hold forever. I used to repair tires and I would recommend the same thing (but repair first if possible), better safe than sorry.
NoSloSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
400.00 tire or 60,000.00 car. I am getting the picture.
Justs seems like a big waste to throw away a tire with 5K on it. I will be doing autocross but probably no road courses till next season or late this fall. I hope to find someone to repair it and burn them off in a straight line and replace them before I do any driving schools or auto X
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:29 AM   #5
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
dont feel bad. i caught road debris at 3k miles on my rear tire and had to replace it. i wouldve plugged it but it was too big.
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
dont feel bad. i caught road debris at 3k miles on my rear tire and had to replace it. i wouldve plugged it but it was too big.
I had two nails in one tire around 5k. I wanted a plug/patch, figured it's a goodyear tire, shoot I'm even in a town with a goodyear plant, I'll take it to a goodyear shop and let them fix it.

First no plug/patches, then he was gonna plug it and I said no, patch that thing, I can plug it myself for free.
I got a deal though, when the cashier saw I was paying cash he asked me if I needed a receipt before he rang it up, or rather once I said no he didn't ring it up. But since it was $27 per patch and he charged me $25 total who am I to complain about him flat stealing from his boss.

I won't go back to a chain store probably ever for any tire or wheel needs. They hire idiots that don't know what they are doing. I joined a car club and they turned me on to a local place that hires professionals that take care of your car. They do wheel repair and custom wheel painting, whatever. So as long as I'm in this town they'll be handling all of my wheel and tire needs.

Anyone in west Alabama, Tuscaloosa area, check out Postle's Tire on Jug Factory Road in Tuscaloosa.

How much of a redneck did I just sound like when I said Jug Factory Road, but that's what it is
Old 05-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post
400.00 tire or 60,000.00 car. I am getting the picture.
Justs seems like a big waste to throw away a tire with 5K on it. I will be doing autocross but probably no road courses till next season or late this fall. I hope to find someone to repair it and burn them off in a straight line and replace them before I do any driving schools or auto X

make a swing out of it...... I wouldn't autocross or do any racing events with a patched or plugged tire.

I will recomend that you look into a road hazard tire and rim warranty. I purchased an insurance product that would replace my tire in your circumstance with a new one.