Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-09-2015, 10:46 AM   #631
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Pete you say that, but this is true of a lot of cars, if you want comfort get a coupe de ville, i drive my Z/28 all the time went for a 300mi run yesterday, it is no worst then my 2010 camaro on some coilovers, lowerd 2" in the front and 2 1/2" in the rear.

IMO i think its the price most people dont like, that and no amenities in the cab, but that can be added.
Agree fully: it is the price that I can't justify (over the ZL1). As far as amenities, ive always found it a paradox that GM left a rear seat in it.
This tells me that they didn't expect majority of folks to buy it for what it was advertised for (by and large).

As to several of them wrecking on the track (previous post), I wonder how many owners understand how sensitive Trofeos (and other R comp tires) are to cold temps. Ive seen Z/28s (and many Vettes) on dealer lots in winter. Obviously those tires were hockey packs by then, regardless of the manufacture date. Taking a car with such tires to a track would be close to suicidal. Either that, or inexperienced folks trying to live up to the car's expectations - never a good mix. Regardless, I feel for the owners as wrecking a car is always a pretty dramatic experience. And sometimes it happens to the best of the best, like following a car that pukes coolant, or oil...
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:03 PM   #632
MRBZ28

Drives: 2014 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28 HLR View Post
I have yet to see a single Z/28 owner who is unhappy with his car or purchase and has buyer's remorse. As owners, we are the only ones who can decide if it was a good purchase or not. So why is it that non-Z/28 owners seem compelled to express their lack of knowledge and knock what we all deemed (as actual owners) as a well educated purchase?? We don't go over to the ZL-1 or Corvette threads and knock them, whether we feel it was a good purchase or not. Even if it was an impulsive, I-have-the-money-to-buy-this-toy-now, who's business is it, really?? Isn't any sports car a juvenile, I-want-to-have-fun purchase? For the record, right here, on the Z/28 thread, I hate Corvettes, they haven't built a nice one since 1967. They've completely lost their purpose and keep jamming them with gadgets over gadgets. You'd be better off buying a Caddy. Although I appreciate other cars, see the reasoning behind owning them, they're just not for me. But I certainly won't knock you for having one. It would be boring if they were all the same. This is where some car guys miss the big picture and feel justifying themselves is done through insulting others. Can't you be happy with what you've got or is it simply penis envy? Something for you and your psychologist to figure out. Amazingly in the aviation world you don't see this type of animosity. When you land at an airport and get talking with other pilots, it doesn't matter if they flew in on a 2 seater Cessna 152 or a 12 seater Citation jet, it's all the love of flying. I like old Cuda's, appreciate the 707 horsepower of the new Hellcat and understand why some still buy Mustangs. They are fun to see and talking to the owner's to get their stories is always good. Wow..... Nonetheless, if something happened to my Z/28 today, I'd go back out and buy another one tomorrow, no matter what any bonehead speaks up and says about it.
Very well said
Love my Z/28
MRBZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:25 PM   #633
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28 HLR View Post
I have yet to see a single Z/28 owner who is unhappy with his car or purchase and has buyer's remorse. As owners, we are the only ones who can decide if it was a good purchase or not. So why is it that non-Z/28 owners seem compelled to express their lack of knowledge and knock what we all deemed (as actual owners) as a well educated purchase?? We don't go over to the ZL-1 or Corvette threads and knock them, whether we feel it was a good purchase or not. Even if it was an impulsive, I-have-the-money-to-buy-this-toy-now, who's business is it, really?? Isn't any sports car a juvenile, I-want-to-have-fun purchase? For the record, right here, on the Z/28 thread, I hate Corvettes, they haven't built a nice one since 1967. They've completely lost their purpose and keep jamming them with gadgets over gadgets. You'd be better off buying a Caddy. Although I appreciate other cars, see the reasoning behind owning them, they're just not for me. But I certainly won't knock you for having one. It would be boring if they were all the same. This is where some car guys miss the big picture and feel justifying themselves is done through insulting others. Can't you be happy with what you've got or is it simply penis envy? Something for you and your psychologist to figure out. Amazingly in the aviation world you don't see this type of animosity. When you land at an airport and get talking with other pilots, it doesn't matter if they flew in on a 2 seater Cessna 152 or a 12 seater Citation jet, it's all the love of flying. I like old Cuda's, appreciate the 707 horsepower of the new Hellcat and understand why some still buy Mustangs. They are fun to see and talking to the owner's to get their stories is always good. Wow..... Nonetheless, if something happened to my Z/28 today, I'd go back out and buy another one tomorrow, no matter what any bonehead speaks up and says about it.
Can't argue with anything you said here. Well, perhaps with the exception that to me, a C5 was the last "uber" Corvette. Albeit I wouldn't refuse a C6 ZR1 either Indeed, your analogy to the aviation world is parallel to track junkies: nobody looks down on anyone regardless of what they drive. New or old, fast or slow and regardless of make.
The passion for motorsports is what unites people at the track. That has been my experience for many years now. But it is comments by car owners who brag about their car being faster x seconds over another car based on automotive media reviews that gets me going. Especially when such comparos are done against outdated, or "convenient" results, or with no regard to what most track folks do as far as tire selections and other consumables like rotors, pads, fluids, etc.
Let's just be happy and enjoy what we have. No reason to have to justify anything, or play an arm chair race expert, or believe everything that marketing "machines" spew out. OTOH if folks want to engage in such theoretical discussions, well, others may have other opinions. And that's only fair (to all concerned). Would I pay MSRP for a Z/28? No. Would i like to have one? Absolutely! I have the same opinion of the ATS-V btw, which i think is one of the best cars that GM has produced lately. I hope the new Camaro ups the ante
Old 04-11-2016, 01:05 PM   #634
YamaMISSILE

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
Not good enough to trade in my ZL1. I wanted it to be but alas, it is good...not great imo. Nonetheless, I am proud of team Camaro. That's all for me.
No one asked you to trade your ZL1. Your money, your car. We all buy what we buy for OUR reasons, not SOMEONE else's reasons.
YamaMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:41 PM   #635
ZKeeper746

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Does anyone know where the Ring z28 is now?
ZKeeper746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:31 PM   #636
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZKeeper746 View Post
Does anyone know where the Ring z28 is now?

Stashed
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:36 PM   #637
ZKeeper746

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
What number is it? Do we know that?
ZKeeper746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:43 PM   #638
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZKeeper746 View Post
What number is it? Do we know that?

It wasnt a production car, so doesnt have a 'number'
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:25 PM   #639
Irishtoolman

Drives: 1993 Indy Pace Car
The car now resides as part of the GM Heritage Collection.
Attached Images

Irishtoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:01 AM   #640
RickJamesBible

Drives: Ephemeral
GM said that the Z28 should have lapped the Nurburgring in 7:31, not 7:37.

From a Road and Track Article:
"GM says their telemetry indicates there's another six seconds in the car, and I think that's conservative. "

The 2017 ZL1 lapped the Nurburgring in 7:29.

I watched the Z28 video and stopped it at the point where the rain starts and compared it to the video of the ZL1's lap, and sure enough, they were on the same turn at the same time.

I think GM was being perfectly honest about how much the rain affected the Z28 lap time.
Attached Images

RickJamesBible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:34 AM   #641
johna

Drives: 2015 White Z28
Wow, cool work!

Thanks for posting that comparison. I agree with 731 or better and you show very good proof and support for the argument.
johna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:50 AM   #642
hjdca

Drives: 2015 Z/28 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJamesBible View Post
GM said that the Z28 should have lapped the Nurburgring in 7:31, not 7:37.

From a Road and Track Article:
"GM says their telemetry indicates there's another six seconds in the car, and I think that's conservative. "

The 2017 ZL1 lapped the Nurburgring in 7:29.

I watched the Z28 video and stopped it at the point where the rain starts and compared it to the video of the ZL1's lap, and sure enough, they were on the same turn at the same time.

I think GM was being perfectly honest about how much the rain affected the Z28 lap time.

Great work ! GM Posting the rain time on the Z/28 was kinda weird, and in retrospect, probably a mistake. I wonder what the comparison is the ZL1-1LE ?
hjdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:55 PM   #643
TrackClub

Agree: nice work. They are both in the same corner albeit the zl1 is further ahead and going faster speed. Given what remains is 6 more corners and a very long straight the zl1 would clearly beat the z/28. Personally i think it would be more than 2 seconds, but thats splitting hair

And obviously a zl1 on trofeo R tires would make this delta much wider. But thats not what this car comes with tire wise from a factory, so a moot point, except for a track rat.
Old 01-06-2021, 03:36 AM   #644
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Cannot have scammer as last post in this iconic thread.
Scammer deleted. Good show moderators
Attached Images

Last edited by SIM GhostrdrZ; 01-09-2021 at 09:30 AM.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014 camaro z28, 2014 camaro z28 forum, 2014 camaro z28 forums, 2014 chevy camaro z28, 2014 z28, camaro z/28, camaro z/28 forum, camaro z/28 nurburgring, camaro z/28 nurburgring time, camaro z28, camaro z28 forum, camaro z28 forums, camaro z28 nurburgring, camaro z28 nurburgring time, chevy camaro z28, chevy camaro z28 forum, chevy camaro z28 forums, new camaro z28, new camaro z28 forum, new camaro z28 forums, z/28 forum, z28 forum, z28 forums