Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

Old 07-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
And here is a bill or new law that the people from Ohio might want to strike down

I hate laws that come out of left field. Had this sent to me. Thought I'd post it up.

Quote:
I did a search and didn't find this here so I figured you guys might want a heads up. Seems a new law could pass in Ohio that changes the definition of street racing and what the penalties will be.

I read an article in a Mopar magazine last night at a buddies house, and did some Googling today and it's a fact.

Here's the Bill: Laws, Acts, and Legislation

The Law is named H.B. 191

In a nutshell the definition of "street racing" is being changed to include the following language:

"The bill expands the definition of "street racing" to also include "any exhibition of speed or acceleration that is inconsistent with the normal operation of a vehicle on a public road, street, or highway."

This is all left to officer discretion. So revving the motor, screeching tires, leaving a redlight quickly could all be construed and argued as street racing. The penalty....SEIZURE OF VEHICLE. That means you don't get it back.

I'm no lawyer, but if I read this right it's already passed the first reading in OH.

I'm not at all a proponent of street racing, but say I leave my drive way, accelerate aggressively to the speed limit of 45mph then just cruise...that would be a violation and could cause seizure of my Challenger.

Discuss.....
From Speedy on Challengertalk.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
EarliestMemory
RED HT RS

Drives: 10 VR 2LT/RS Camaro, 06 Harley
Interesting... thanks for the heads-up. The ambiguity of the language in the bill concerned me enough that I did a little research of my own, and found that this passed the House - but in a much different form than originally introduced. Most notably, it doesn't look like the vague, revised definition of "street racing" made it into thefinal bill. (However, if someone else sees something I missed in all that mumbo-jumbo, please post!)
Old 07-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
SS Blue Betty RS
Amber

Drives: 2010 1SS RS Camaro w/ crazy exhaust
OH geeze.....the cops are definately coming after me then. I do this on a daily....I think it's fun accelerate rapidly to the speed limit all time...but I try not to go over the speed limit. I got two speeding tickets last month and one for not having my front license mounted (which I NEVER plan on doing!! There's no way I'm drilling a hole in my bumper) I was able to get one speeding dropped by taking it to court and the cop never showed up, but payed $200 for the second speeding and licence ticket combined