Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 10-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #57
OVERPAR73
2018 Garnet Red ZL1 conve

Drives: 2013 & 2018 ZL1 vert
I will be receiving my car next week and will be checking my wheels thanks to this thread, boy I'm glad I saw this issue!! I to have OCD about cleaning every little area of the car.
OVERPAR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #58
RobZL1580

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
I would assume that it all depends on what the actual problem is traced to.
In other words, If GM can take your wheels, analyze them back at the lab and positivly determine that is IS indeed an issue with paint quality, then there would be no question they would replace the wheels under warranty.

If on the other hand the lab can positivly determine that the discoloration is due to something other such as (I'm not iferring you did this) using the wrong type of wheel cleaner causing the issue due to a reaction with the coating on the wheel, then the issue is NOT caused by a defect in the wheel or the manyfacturing process, and thus would NOT qualify for a warranty replacement.

It sounds as if GM is not convinced that the discoloration (at least in your case) is due to a product defect, but has agreed that in the interest of customer good will, they will replace the wheels THIS TIME.

I do agree that at this point, IF you just used soap and water and did not use any of the popular wheel cleaning sprays on the market, that it might be a paint issue, but we can't prove it.

Just saying.......
You make some good points but there is no way anyone can make a determination as to what happened to my wheels by looking at a few pictures. It is wreckless and erroneous for a Chevrolet engineer to come to the conclusion that I have to do a better job cleaning my wheels. Secondly, why does it sound like so many other people are having the same problems. Do we all not know how to clean our wheels? Thirdly why did I get singled out and the other Zl1 owner did not? His dealer did not tell him it was a one time replacement.

I believe that Chevrolet will find that this is a widespread problem. Time will tell.
RobZL1580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #59
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1580 View Post
You make some good points but there is no way anyone can make a determination as to what happened to my wheels by looking at a few pictures. It is wreckless and erroneous for a Chevrolet engineer to come to the conclusion that I have to do a better job cleaning my wheels. Secondly, why does it sound like so many other people are having the same problems. Do we all not know how to clean our wheels? Thirdly why did I get singled out and the other Zl1 owner did not? His dealer did not tell him it was a one time replacement.

I believe that Chevrolet will find that this is a widespread problem. Time will tell.
I wouldn't be surprised if GM is going to require the dealer to send your wheels to them as part of th ereplacement process so they can have a chance to check them out themselves back at GM, so they can try to determine the cause.

They've dome it with other issues so they can try and determine the root cause and try and determine if it might be an isolated incident or not.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #60
rexdogg

Drives: 2013 IOM ZL1
somewhat off topic.....anyone have tips/suggestions re: keeping the wheels clean?......it's one thing thing to clean them, but.......drive a few miles, the brake dust, especially on the front wheels, seems like it's all over.......ideas?
rexdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #61
rzrbck_zl1

Drives: '13 ZL1 CRT #702; '05 Hemi Ram
Thanks for all the posts on this issue. Been keeping a close watch on my wheels - so far (after one month), no problems noticed.
rzrbck_zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #62
RobZL1580

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexdogg View Post
somewhat off topic.....anyone have tips/suggestions re: keeping the wheels clean?......it's one thing thing to clean them, but.......drive a few miles, the brake dust, especially on the front wheels, seems like it's all over.......ideas?
I'm getting 4 new wheels from Chevrolet this week and will also be installing Hawk Ceramic Pads front and rear.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #63
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I've got a little brake-dust buildup behind the spokes on my black wheels...but that's due more to my lack of cleaning. Not seeing this problem in particular.

There's some comments in the ceramic pads thread about brake dust reduction....

I mentioned that the brake-burnishing procedure out of the manual seems to have reduced dust on my wheels. I don't think its my imagination.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #64
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Yes change the brake pads I did this on my car
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #65
fiascoes1
SoCalRaceTeam new-b!

Drives: 2012 ZL1/WHITE/BLACK STRIPE
mine you can see through the paint in that area, i can see the aluminum
Old 10-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #66
Nailn it

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Ashen Gray / Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascoes1 View Post
mine you can see through the paint in that area, i can see the aluminum
Definitly a paint issue and Chevy knows it, and put them on the cars anyway. I too can see raw aluminum in all the recesses. You cant tell me Chevy didn't see it as they installed them. They would have to be blind not to see it on mine as they were installing them. I'm going to go aftermarket because you can breath on my rims and they get scratched, super soft paint. My car is vin # 300 and something 2013. I can't remember exactly. Right before the black rims went on constraint. Things that make you go hummmm.
Nailn it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #67
Oneslowz28
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1265
I have the black rims MY2012. I has a similar if not worse issue on mine. they were even scratched at the factoty when the tires were put on 3/4 tires plus the paint covering was horrible. End result GM covered it under warranty and i had all 4 of my wheels powdercoted not painted. They look 10x better now.

It does take some time but they stood behind it for me.

[IMG]http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz149/**********/001.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Oneslowz28; 10-21-2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Added a picture
Oneslowz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:04 PM   #68
dimitri

Drives: 06 M5/04 350Z
Have the black wheels
And you can tell the vendor didnt
Spray these well..very thin coat.
Maybe they figured us ZL 1 guys dont need any more weight
So they painted the wheels with a thin coating....?.LOL
dimitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #69
RobZL1580

My 4 Wheels came in last week and were installed with no problems and covered completely under warranty by Chevrolet. Alex from customer service called me every week until the problem was resolved. I am very pleased.

Part-2 I need a new supercharger and that is on order now.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #70
OVERPAR73
2018 Garnet Red ZL1 conve

Drives: 2013 & 2018 ZL1 vert
The brake dust is out of control!! I have to clean the wheels after every drive to and from work, about 10 miles. The wheels start to look black, very dark and the dust is very hard to clean off! Do I need to go to ceramic pads to prevent all this dust? I also have several areas that look very thin with the polish on the wheels!
OVERPAR73 is offline   Reply With Quote