Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-15-2017, 10:57 PM   #1
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
Wheel Question -- please don't laugh

I have a 2015 SS and I purchased a set of ZL1 rims which included the tires. As I was doing my initial research, I would see that the OEM Goodyear tires would specify left or right tire. I know because of the setup you have to mount them correctly but is there really a different in the tire from the left to the right??? When I had my oil changed, the dealer said he did a tire rotation so I just want to make sure he didn't do something stupid that I should have caught and told him to put them back the way they were.

And if you must, you can laugh...

thanks!

joe...
Old 12-15-2017, 11:44 PM   #2
IROC U

Drives: 1986 Camaro IROC-Z; 2012 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodWentPunk View Post
I have a 2015 SS and I purchased a set of ZL1 rims which included the tires. As I was doing my initial research, I would see that the OEM Goodyear tires would specify left or right tire. I know because of the setup you have to mount them correctly but is there really a different in the tire from the left to the right??? When I had my oil changed, the dealer said he did a tire rotation so I just want to make sure he didn't do something stupid that I should have caught and told him to put them back the way they were.

thanks!

joe...

ZL1 tires are wheel specific meaning that you’re not supposed to rotate them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IROC U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:51 AM   #3
GodWentPunk

Ok... Well, my car is in storage now for the winter.. I'll bring it back to the GM dealer and have him correct this in the spring. But I am curious, what is unique about the right tire versus the left tire??

joe...
Old 12-16-2017, 03:28 AM   #4
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Ok... Well, my car is in storage now for the winter.. I'll bring it back to the GM dealer and have him correct this in the spring. But I am curious, what is unique about the right tire versus the left tire??

joe...
The tread is unique as it is setup specific to the location of the tire on the car.
StreetRage320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:56 AM   #5
SinginHawk

Drives: 2015 2LT
Quote:

joe...
The tread is patterned to route water in a specific direction (away from the center of the car), which is different for each side.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:11 AM   #6
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Plus, there should be an arrow on the sidewall indicating the proper rotational direction.

Add that to the fact that the tires/wheels are different widths, ZL1 wheels/tires cannot be rotated. (Well, yes they do rotate while you're driving down the road).
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:28 PM   #7
GodWentPunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinginHawk View Post
The tread is patterned to route water in a specific direction (away from the center of the car), which is different for each side.
got yeah.. That now makes sense... I forget the thread is curved on these.. Since I don't really take the car out when it rains, I've probably not noticed any difference... Once the car comes out out storage, I am for sure bringing the car back to my GM dealer that did this. They were trying to be nice and did this while I was getting my oil changed so I did not ask for them to do this..

joe..
Old 12-16-2017, 09:25 PM   #8
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
So usually the part of the tire with more solid rubber goes to the outside because it gets more wear and otherwise the tire gets "worn out" faster because the outside is worn thin but the rest of the tire isn't yet.
So by putting less cutaway rubber near the outside edges the tire grips better and lasts longer.
If it's used in mud or snow it needs cutaways all over.
You can see that there also is on some tires a V that helps channel water away also.
If you think about it, you can't turn the tire backwards to fit on the other side or the V will be backwards and not channel water to the outsides of the tire. Or the more solid rubber would be on the inside edge towards the car instead of outside.
The rear tires and wheels of many cars are different than the fronts.
So there ya go, can't be switched. If your wheels were all the same size or tires not one way one side directional they could be rotated.
I've also seen where the service advisor isn't knowledgeable on that stuff and said they were rotated but when I pressed him on it the mechanic had to explain that it couldn't be done, so it wasn't. The advisor was just spewing the standard speech.
Attached Images

silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:48 PM   #9
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
...way more important is direction is which the belts where laid and is extremely important for the speed rating!
Old 12-17-2017, 11:48 PM   #10
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Also if he rotated back to front, then chances are your staggered wheels are now backwards, meaning wider in the front and narrower in the back. I'd stop going to that shop/dealership if they weren't able to figure this one out
Current: 2015 ZL1 M6, Rotofab Intake, LS3 throttle body, 2.55 Upper/9.17 Lower w/ Idler Relocation, DMS Reinforced Brick, ID1050X, 1 7/8" Headers, ProSpeed HX/Reservoir, DSX Aux Pump/Flex Fuel Sensor, E85, McLeod RXT, BMR 1" Drop, Tuned by Pat G
Past: 2010 2SS, some bolt ons, 415rwhp/400rwtq

spadz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:02 AM   #11
zman1969

Drives: 1969 R/S Z28 302 m20 Endura
Quote:
When I had my oil changed, the dealer said he did a tire rotation so I just want to make sure he didn't do something stupid that I should have caught and told him to put them back the way they were.

thanks!

joe...
not laughing IF they did rotate them the dealer needs to pull his head out of ......

then again maybe he was BSing you
zman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote